Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Has Grant Holt Got A Championship Mental Block?

Grant Holt as we know his is a snarling snorting ''take it to them'' striker who plays with his heart on his sleeve.

But he has never cut it above League One, why?

As far as I can see, if he plays like we know he can he should be able to star in The Championship.

It also seems to me that Grant Holt needs to believe this himself, stop poncing around wide, get his game head on and get stuck in.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="jed exodous"]He''s carrying the injury, dont expect any heroics from Holty til October at least.  Yawn...[/quote]

If thats true why is he playing ?

[/quote]

I''m joking.  You dont read many of Wiz''s posts?

Seriousley guys, not team can rely on 1 player every game.  Theres no doubt he hasn''t played as well as we all hoped, but i''ve not heard too many critisms of him in the first 5 games.  Now he has a bad game and theres numerous threads and posts questioning if hes good enough.

I beleive he is plenty good enough for this level, he''ll come good, cut him some slack, if theres 1 player you can rely on to give 100% its Holty.

Watford it was Ruddy, Nelson, Ward and Jackson, Scunny was Wes, Swansea cant remember, Forest Russell, now Holtys getting it tonight...

Now can i open a betting book about whos gonna get slagged off at Preston?

Ruddy - 6/4 fav, Holt 5/2, Wes 3/1, Both Martins 4/1, 5/1 bar...

could be a few reasons as to why Holt isnt among the goals.

it could be a barren patch, mental block, injury... Grant might simply be just not good enough for this level.

time will tell.. but we shouldnt get carried away, its early in the season and we are a newly promoted side. Get enough points to avoid relegation then worry about individual players...

He is a lower league lump , has been all his career and i think we should have signed another big man in the summer on the expectation  that he would struggle big time this season.

Grant is good enough for the Championship. He scored plenty of well taken goals last season, played a superb ball to Jameson against Swansea the other week. BUT something is not right this season. His work rate is about 30% compared with last season and we no longer see him chasing and harrying. I notice he is slow to get back when attacks break down and just does not show the same enthusiasm. He may well be carrying an injury. Problem could be his driving disqualification etc.

[quote user="vos"]Grant is good enough for the Championship. He scored plenty of well taken goals last season, played a superb ball to Jameson against Swansea the other week. BUT something is not right this season. His work rate is about 30% compared with last season and we no longer see him chasing and harrying. I notice he is slow to get back when attacks break down and just does not show the same enthusiasm. He may well be carrying an injury. Problem could be his driving disqualification etc.[/quote]

I''m not disagreeing with you, but with stronger and quicker defenders in this league...Lambert may have told Holt not to track back as much to save his energy for up front, as he will need it against more able defenders

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

We must also take into account that he missed most of pre season so is probably a month or so behind the rest of the squad.

[D]

[/quote]

Pretty much it IMO, looks like he has been hitting the KFC (Which I would like to add I have seen Drury eat a whole boneless bucket of LOL!) and not the gym! Give him time to get his fitness up, get sharp, settle in and BANG!

Back amongst the goals....

I still think Holty has a confidence thing in this league but he is no prima donna, he will work at it, he has the right manager to help him and there is absolutely no reason why he cannot make his mark.

Honest man, honest player and still our talisman.

Holt has been struggling with either/both not doing much pre season training/carrying an injury!

He has been down performance wise but at Doncatser on Tuesday when he was again below his best, he still set our goal and we were not as effective when he went off!

Today he was inches from a hat trick!

My only concerns about Grant Holt in this Division is that he always drifts out of position out wide and we have put in good crosses that are bread and butter for him and he hasn''t been there to take them!

I thought he had a strange game today; three great chances, but he seemed overweight, fit and a bit of a cluzt the rest of the time, taking heavy touches and being very slow. But I spose, thats why we love him.

Holt''s size is a bit of a puzzle.  He must look as though he''s carrying timber to fans of other clubs because he does get stick for it.  On the other hand if Lambert thought it was a problem he would''ve had him trimming himself down and we would''ve seen a little shrinkage by now.

This may sound strange, but part of Holt''s game is his ''large'' size. It gives him that extra strength and power needed to be a good center forward, plus it''s also very decieving, because on his best games, he covers every blade of grass, but his defenders won''t expect him too. If he was a trim build, I don''t feel we would get the best out of him. His ''physicalness'' (is that a word?) is a key part of his game, not all of his game though (he has a fair bit of skill/tactical awareness on him, aswell as an eye for a good pass), but we would lose a lot of him as a player, if he lost too much weight (literally [;)] )!

holt was awesome today, i dont know what people expect from him, he scored a great goal, hit the post and bar....... MAYBE just maybe if he solved world peace he would be good enough for this level

[quote user="ryan1992"]This may sound strange, but part of Holt''s game is his ''large'' size. It gives him that extra strength and power needed to be a good center forward, plus it''s also very decieving, because on his best games, he covers every blade of grass, but his defenders won''t expect him too. If he was a trim build, I don''t feel we would get the best out of him. His ''physicalness'' (is that a word?) is a key part of his game, not all of his game though (he has a fair bit of skill/tactical awareness on him, aswell as an eye for a good pass), but we would lose a lot of him as a player, if he lost too much weight (literally [;)] )![/quote]I think you mean "his physicality" or "physical presence". It''s all about finding the right balance, if he lost too much weight he''d lose a lot of what''s good about his game, giving defenders a tough time and doing a vital job for the side but if he''s half a yard off of the pace he''ll be chasing shadows and not getting on the end of anything. Grant Holt is clearly "big boned" shall we say, so he''s always going to look on the chubby side.

[quote user="Wxyz"]He is a lower league lump , has been all his career and i think we should have signed another big man in the summer on the expectation  that he would struggle big time this season.
[/quote]

Care to think again Wxyz?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Wxyz"]He is a lower league lump , has been all his career and i think we should have signed another big man in the summer on the expectation  that he would struggle big time this season.
[/quote]

Care to think again Wxyz?

[/quote]

Oh deary dear Wxyz.[:$]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

We must also take into account that he missed most of pre season so is probably a month or so behind the rest of the squad.

[D]

[/quote]Proof that if you throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick!

I''m so glad I never jumped on this bandwagon that more than a few fans were doing earlier in the season!

Holts never going to score 30 goals this season but hes our best centreforward and our only targetman who we sorely miss when hes not around!

^^ wasn''t a bandwagon mate. Holt was playing poor, there''s no two ways about it. He couldn''t pass, couldn''t win headers, was useless. Now he is amazing however. [:D] He can''t have been fit I guess, it is like chalk and cheese as they say?

No he wasnt poor. Poor is what Sibierski and Cureton were. Poor is what Gow and Mooney and countless other apologies for centre forwards we have had pull on the shirt over the last few seasons were. Even though the goals werent flying in and there was was a question mark over his fitness, he was still there creating space for others, running half the length of the pitch to make tackles, softening up defenders, and the few goals he did get early on, for example at Scunthorpe and Preston were three pointers. There is so much more to Grant Holt than goals.

[quote user="Kathy"]No he wasnt poor. Poor is what Sibierski and Cureton were. Poor is what Gow and Mooney and countless other apologies for centre forwards we have had pull on the shirt over the last few seasons were. Even though the goals werent flying in and there was was a question mark over his fitness, he was still there creating space for others, running half the length of the pitch to make tackles, softening up defenders, and the few goals he did get early on, for example at Scunthorpe and Preston were three pointers. There is so much more to Grant Holt than goals.[/quote]

But that''s the point, he played like these ''countless others'' in those games. No, he wasn''t running the length of the pitch etc etc. This is why people were whinging, and rightfully so. Anyway lets all just be thankful to the highest regard that Holt has turned into superman as of late. [:)]

"he played like these ''countless others'' in those games"Are you for real Brendo, even when Holt was a little of colour he could never fit into the bracket of that shower.