Sign in to follow this  
StevenageFan

Charlton or Drury

Who would you all say is the best defender out of Charlton and Drury?

I say Charlton.  Therefore Charlton should be keeping Drury out of the team by playing at left back, his favoured position and one that I feel he would do better at for Norwich than he does at centre.

This then gives the option for Shacks or Doc in the centre.  I haven''t seen either play in that position, but have heard great things about Shacks and terrible things about Doc from all my Spurs mates, therefore I would stick in Shacks.

This is the only area of Niges ability that really frustrates me because I am a strong believer that the best player for the position should play it.  I think Drury is still playing because

a) he has done a great job for us in the past

b) he is captain

c) Nige is accomodating 2 good players by playing Charlton in the centre.

These 3 points are holding back Doc and Shacks and this annoys me.

We haven''t seen Charlton at left back yet as far as I am aware so its difficult to compare. Drury has been pretty solid over the last few years and I hope and believe that the only reason he struggled against Blackburn was the injury he had picked up. I would however advocate giving Charlton a game tomorrow at  left back to see how it works and put the Doc in with Flem.

I feel that the Drury now, is not as good as the Drury before being made captain. A similar malaise that unfortunately befalls English national cricket captains.

I think when promoted it was because of his consistent and exceptional club form and not, as it should have been, for his leadership qualities.

Without the burden of captainship he would probably be one of the best defenders in this league. But sadly if it was taken from him now it would possibly have an adverse affect on his morale.

I M V H O

It''s very hard to draw comparisons.  Charlton is playing in central defence, Drury at left back.  They require two very different skills.  Charlton has come in and done very well.  But lets not forget that Drury has been one of the best left backs we''ve ever had.  He came in when we were screaming out for a naturally left footed defender. 

I remember us trying many players ay left back- Derveld, Kenton, Sutch etc.  Worthy spent 500K which was a huge amount of money to us then on a defender who nobody knew.  Hands up how many people thought Drury would be as successful as he has been?  I sure as hell didn''t.

The only reason Drury doesn''t get the plaudits and attention these days is because he goes about his job in a quiet, non flashy way.  We would miss Drury if he wasn''t there

That is a controversial shout to be honest, I think the back four we have got are the four best defenders at the club? so by dropping Drury and moving Charlton u are bring in a weaker central defender albeit in his favoured position. I''m personally a big fan of drury defensively but to round his game he must attack more. This whole issue does beg the question should we have sold Malky?

just one question: you didnt actually say who you wanted to take the central position!!

Aparently, when shackall and doherty were together in the reserves, Shackall played much better!

To be honest i really dont think its about the defending, its about puttin the ball in the back of the net....

AJ,

Doesn''t matter how many times you put it in the net if we let in more than we score!

We''re not Brazil you know, same colours (ish!)

There has been a few knee-jerk shouts like this on these boards recently. Drury has been and is one of our most consistent players over the last few years, people saying "drop him" because he played awful against Blackburn are ridiculous - give the lad a break.

I do agree with gorleston Jim though, I think having the captaincy has done him no favours...