Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

JBA - The Great Dane?

I know there have been a few posts on here recently about Askou, but I thought this could be a chance for the ''final word'' on the situation from all of us.I see that some people on here really rate Askou and think he could cope with things at Championship level, whilst others believe that he wouldn''t be able to cut it in the higher standard over League One.  What I want to know is why people think he would be able to cut it at this level.  From what I saw last season, Askou had a lot to learn, even in League One.  He was guilty of getting far too tight, and being turned too easily.  His distribution is pretty dire, and his is too over committed.  In all I think he is probably your average League One stopper.  He can break things up, much like Nelson, but when asked for a bit of composure on the ball he would be found wanting.  In this league we all know that players like that will be found out, I think Nelson himself has been guilty of similar problems this season, but it''s hard to complain when he was involved in both of our clean sheets.I don''t think Askou can be seen as a replacement for Nelson (who incidentally I don''t think we can rely on either), and the idea of getting Barnett in on loan was a good one.  As far as I am concerned Askou is not good enough to play in the Championship, yes he has not had the chance, but you could say that about lots of players in League One, Two and the Conference, the reason they haven''t had the chance is that they''re not good enough.  So why do people think he is good enough for Norwich?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Ok. Entitled to your opinion. I completely disagree. Have you seen him play?[/quote]Well I''m a season ticket holder, so yes I have.

Gobsmacked - yet another pop at an excellent City player!

Askou''s distribution is NOT dire; compared to Nelson (who has done a decent job so far) he is without doubt cultured. Askou''s aerial strength is there for all to see - the Doc certainly admired JBA’s technique; he gets direction and massive distance most times.

I see this new loan player Barnett was bought by WBA for £2.5m – huge money and he doesn’t even play every week - personally I would take Askou every time and save the club’s cash!

Perhaps we should all come and assess your work performance NCFC Star? Get JBA at the front of the queue and see what he makes of you when you’re attempting to do your best!…

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Askou''s distribution is NOT dire; compared to Nelson (who has done a decent job so far) he is without doubt cultured. Askou''s aerial strength is there for all to see - the Doc certainly admired JBA’s technique; he gets direction and massive distance most times.

I see this new loan player Barnett was bought by WBA for £2.5m – huge money and he doesn’t even play every week - personally I would take Askou every time and save the club’s cash!

Perhaps we should all come and assess your work performance NCFC Star? Get JBA at the front of the queue and see what he makes of you when you’re attempting to do your best!…

[/quote]It is dire, Nelson''s is just as bad.  Neither of them are cultured.  That word would never even cross my mind in regards to either of them.It wasn''t us who paid £2.5m so that''s a moot point in my opinion, he''s just here to help us out, and if he is of better quality than the people he is replacing then all well and good.My opinion is my opinion, as fans we''re more than entitled to say what we think about our players so I don''t really see why you complain about that.

It must be obvious to all that Lambert doesn''t fancy him otherwise he would have been in today.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]

You could probably have got away with this before kick off but come on. We seem to have sorted our defence, now because he has a nice name we want to get rid of a premiership defender and replace him with a league 1 player. We will never know but bet Ruddy would have had far more to do if Askou had played, but then again he did not and Lambert has clearly picked the better player. This is not a go at Askou I think he is an ok centre half it is just that I dont see why we should not improve our team with better players because people like Askou.

1. Askou looked pretty decent against League One opposition.
  2. We don''t know how he''d fare against Championship opposition.
  3. Lambert & Culverhouse know a bit about defending.
  4. Lambert & Culverhouse work with Askou, Nelson, Ward, Whitbread and now Barnett on a day to day basis.
  5. Lambert & Culverhouse don''t think he''s first choice at Championship level.
  6. I trust Lambert & Culverhouse''s judgement on defenders.
  7. I think that Ward & Whitbread would be first choice but for injury.
  8. I don''t think Nelson is a particularly good Championship standard centre back, though I hugely respect his work rate and commitment.
  9. Lambert & Culverhouse clearly believe Nelson is a better bet than Askou.
  10. Nelson is injured for a while.
  11. Therefore I am happy we''ve brought in Barnett instead of playing Askou.