Sign in to follow this  
JF

Norwich City and Wigan.

We took over 2500 fans to Forest today. Wigan took 60 to Spurs! I know they have had a bad start but thats unreal, I''m sure non league teams have a bigger away support.

If that''s true that''s embarrassing. It must be some sort of revolt against the clubs performances. To be fair in their position, I wouldn''t have bought a ticket!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]60? surely that''s a mistake [:O][/quote]That''s what was said on BBC they think it''s a Prem League lowest record.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Just awful, tickets are to ££££ nowadays[/quote]I think it''s more to do with the fact that Wigan are a joke team and wouldn''t be anywhere near the Prem if Dave Whelan hadn''t bankrolled them.  They are a disgrace to the Premier League.

[quote user="JF"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]60? surely that''s a mistake [:O][/quote]That''s what was said on BBC they think it''s a Prem League lowest record.[/quote]

Holy s**t, even at our lowest moments we never took that few to away games

How many do Wigan get for home games? Not many is it?

They all prefer Rugby in Wigan i guess.....But 60 is pretty terrible....

I saw somewhere the top 20 average attendances last season, and us and Leeds where 18th and 19th i think, which is ridiculous, there where 44 teams above us in rank last season, and only 16 managed to get higher average attendances than two League one teams.....

After their big win today, that number will increase to 6,000 as people regale their friends and families with Wigan lore such as the win at Spurts that they saw in person.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How many do Wigan get for home games? Not many is it?

I saw somewhere the top 20 average attendances last season, and us and Leeds where 18th and 19th i think, which is ridiculous, there where 44 teams above us in rank last season, and only 16 managed to get higher average attendances than two League one teams.....[/quote]Indeed its very embarassing, even worse is that Wigan continue to avoid relegation. But unfortunaetly Football is played on the pitch and not in the stands. Wigan has always been a rugby league town, that wont change anytime soon.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How many do Wigan get for home games? Not many is it?

I saw somewhere the top 20 average attendances last season, and us and Leeds where 18th and 19th i think, which is ridiculous, there where 44 teams above us in rank last season, and only 16 managed to get higher average attendances than two League one teams.....[/quote]Wigans first 2 games this season were at Home and their attendances were v Blackpool  16,152 (4,200 Blackpool fans) v Chelsea 14,476

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="JF"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]60? surely that''s a mistake [:O][/quote]That''s what was said on BBC they think it''s a Prem League lowest record.[/quote]

[/quote]Thats an insult to the Premier League mate.

Yes it is poor and its hard to fathom what is behind such a poor turn out for such an attractive fixture 

However there are numerous reasons why their fan base is smaller.  Wigan are a new league club, having only made league status in the 70s and are the youngest club in the premier league.  They are situated in an area where there are a multitude of other "local" professional clubs to follow including some of theworlds largest and most successful teams.  As someone else has pointed out football is not even the town first choice sport,  falling second to Rugby League. 

Despite this the club has expanded and taken innovative approaches to progress - who can forget the 3 spaniards sigrelenings, including Roberto Martinez - and I think have yet to suffer a relegation from any of the top four tiers of english football.

I for one salute their tenacity to stay at this level.  I am proud that our footabll is a meritocracy and not based on the numbers of fans a club has,whether fuelled by one mans cash or not (besides, how many top clubs nowadays are not funded by one person?) 

The fact that they survive enriches our football and their story is a million times more interesting than the tabloids sycophantic regurgitation of chelsea, manu liverpool arsenal news.  The sterile fact is that money has dominated english football for so long that only 4 clubs have won the title in 18 seasons, all on the back of substantial investments yet it is the mouse that roared in Blackburn that is most derided instead of celebrated when each and every club and fan would love to buy the success that they and the supposed big four clubs have had.

Cash, sky and greed are bad for english football,  the fact wigan are there and able to take just 60 fans is both a stark validation of that but more importantly an inspiration to all clubs that it is possible to reach and sustain at the top level of football.  Long may we celebrate that as well as mock. 

Well said Zipper. To their credit as well most of the money they receive from Sky is put into the fans that they do have. If  you look at their prices you will see quite often that they actually let a high percentage of fans in for free. Over the last 10 years they have increased their average gate by over 11000 where as we have only increased ours by 7500. The stadium is also often a complete sell out for rugby. Their gaets would actually be less if it was not for rugby league becoming a summer sport. I say Wigan should give every club hope as to what could be acheived.   

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Many many years ago we took just 39 to a midweek game at Oldham.I am sure What''s a Right Winger will produce the full match stats.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Yes it is poor and its hard to fathom what is behind such a poor turn out for such an attractive fixture 

However there are numerous reasons why their fan base is smaller.  Wigan are a new league club, having only made league status in the 70s and are the youngest club in the premier league.  They are situated in an area where there are a multitude of other "local" professional clubs to follow including some of theworlds largest and most successful teams.  As someone else has pointed out football is not even the town first choice sport,  falling second to Rugby League. 

Despite this the club has expanded and taken innovative approaches to progress - who can forget the 3 spaniards sigrelenings, including Roberto Martinez - and I think have yet to suffer a relegation from any of the top four tiers of english football.

I for one salute their tenacity to stay at this level.  I am proud that our footabll is a meritocracy and not based on the numbers of fans a club has,whether fuelled by one mans cash or not (besides, how many top clubs nowadays are not funded by one person?) 

The fact that they survive enriches our football and their story is a million times more interesting than the tabloids sycophantic regurgitation of chelsea, manu liverpool arsenal news.  The sterile fact is that money has dominated english football for so long that only 4 clubs have won the title in 18 seasons, all on the back of substantial investments yet it is the mouse that roared in Blackburn that is most derided instead of celebrated when each and every club and fan would love to buy the success that they and the supposed big four clubs have had.

Cash, sky and greed are bad for english football,  the fact wigan are there and able to take just 60 fans is both a stark validation of that but more importantly an inspiration to all clubs that it is possible to reach and sustain at the top level of football.  Long may we celebrate that as well as mock. 

[/quote]

blimey i was nearly in tears by the end of all that..seriously though some very good points made [:D]

Got me thinking who has been promoted but not relegated from the prem?

I think its Fulham Wigan and Stoke?

And with Dave Watson on the bench with Martinez on MOTD it continues a norwich wigan link - rioch hamilton deehan bruce!  A lot of Norwich links on MOTD today

[quote user="Ultramagnetic"]Lynn have taken over 200 to all their away games this season. Quite good for a team eight divisions below Wigan....[/quote]Bit of a difference though, considering the Lynn fans probably don''t pay 40 or 50 quid for a ticket.

I had a thought today while looking up at the Brain Clough stand and then down at the 21,700 figure on the display. This team are former European Cup champions, and we''d get more people in our ground 99 times out of 100.

I am always amazed by how many supporters follow the club for away matches. I only get to hear everyone''s noise mostly through my computer speakers but it still sounds most impressive. I definitely would love to be  able to hear it in person.It is tough for clubs up in the PL with ticket prices and the fact that one has to become a member for what ever the yearly fee is just in hope to get a ticket as sometimes it might not even get to general sale.It is too bad that prices can''t be somewhat managed more like in the Bundesliga.

I know I''m chipping in a bit late but Warrington were in the Challenge Cup final yesterday at Wembley so that "might" also have made an impact (I know the two are rivals but perhaps the towns don''t share the same grudge when it comes to football)

[quote user="JF"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]60? surely that''s a mistake [:O][/quote]That''s what was said on BBC they think it''s a Prem League lowest record.[/quote]I''m pretty sure that figure of 60 is correct as it wouldn''t be too difficult to count them. There was around 400 there last year when they got hammered 9-1 and Wigan offered to refund the ticket money as the defeat was so embarrassing. Perhaps the fans thought it''d happen again - they''ve already shipped in ten goals this season - so they didn''t want to risk it. It still seems pathetic, especially as it was an eay game to get to for Wigan fans living in the London area. There must be a few ?Regarding the lowest away attendance at a Premier League game I seem to remember that one of the commentators at a fairly recent Blackburn v Watford evening match - towards the end of the season when Watford finished rock bottom - said that there were just 13 away fans in attendance that night.If that was the correct figure it probably won''t be long before Wigan fans will be claiming that record........

Apart from being bankrolled and League position, we''re a bigger club than Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Blackpool and possibly more teams in the top flight BUT, football is played on the pitch so a teams performance on it is rewarded as it should which is why we were in the 3rd Division last season.

The day they make the top flight a closed shop with only big clubs being allowed in will be another nail in the coffin for football in this Country!