I sit in the river end lower and me and the surronding rows always try to get the crowd signing but it is an impossible job. Even the jarrold stand few are getting their stand getting to sing, why can''t we?

The only time the river end sings is the usual otbc chorus just before kick off and when we score.

Come on, let''s sing a little more!!

Me n my dad hav our moments of singin but no one else will and they all look at us as if we are aliens so please sing up its a laugh u no n who cares what people think

a lot of it is probably due to the fact that if people want to sing they try and move to a noisier end of the ground.

In response to David T - have you tried moving to another part of the gound with virtually all tickets sold out.  You should''nt have to move just because you want to sing.  Part of the fun is singing and getting behind the team not sitting there like a stuffed lemon looking at those that are singing as if they are from another planet.

Just keep the faith with the river end a little longer mate,I think as soon as the new corner (son of snakepit) infill opens I think you will find all the people that can''t get tickets at the moment will all gather in the corner and get a little life back into that end of the ground similar to what happened when the snakepit opened,who would have thought you would ever hear singing coming from the city stand!!!!!!Keep the faith.

thats quite true now. But i dont mean in the last season. its happened over a number of years when we had nowhere near a full house. i sit in the upper river end... always have, and while the atmosphere isn''t electric, its still not bad... better than it used to be a few years ago. You get it at all grounds... i live in coventry, so i go and watch cov city play if norwich arent playing that day.... and they only have a block of about 100 people who sing in the west terrace, and the rest of the ground is silent. You have to respect that some people dont like singing or support the team in other ways. Im not one of these, i like singing at games. but you cant look down on people just because they dont like singing. theyre just as much of a supporter as anyone else in the ground. However those who dont want to sing should respect those that do as well.

IS IT COMPULSRY TO SING?

I AM A NON SINGER, NOT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO, BUT BECAUSE OF HOW BAD MY VOICE SOUNDS & LETS FACE IT YOU CAN ONLY REALLY HERE ''ON THE BALL CITY, NEVERMIND THE DANGER''

THE REST OF THE SONG JUST SOUNDS LIKE A JUTTERING MURMER SPRAYING DELIAS HOTDOGS OUTTA THERE MOUTH WITH EVERY WORD,UNLESS YOUR SITTING NEXT TO SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS ALL THE WORDS

I SUPPOSE THAT MAKES ME A NON SUPPORTER NOW?

To get people to sing you should try and encourage them to do it not force people to do it. If u encourage people and show them whats good about it and what it could do then people may become interested and start doing it. If you force people then people will not do it because they may feel that whilst it''s optional some are making it compulsory when it isn''t and people won''t do it as they won''t be told what to do.

I generally feel as well that the singing of OTBC before the game isn''t right because as well some people may feel that they are being told to sing then and may feel they don''t have to sing at all for the rest of the game because they allready have done the job and aren''t required to do it any more.

Make sure you''ve got a group of at least five people willing to sing... then no matter where abouts you sit... you can all sing together... group mentality... none off you will care who else who singing or not!!! Don''t worry about trying to get people to sing, I honestly think that most poeple would like too, but for whatever reasons... some restrain... it''s there loss...

When others see people that are having a time that''s good... they''ll more than likely join in on their own accord...

[quote]IS IT COMPULSRY TO SING? I AM A NON SINGER, NOT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO, BUT BECAUSE OF HOW BAD MY VOICE SOUNDS & LETS FACE IT YOU CAN ONLY REALLY HERE ''ON THE BALL CITY, NEVERMIND THE DANGER'' ...[/quote]

two sheds

there are many city songs apart from OTBC, most of them are pretty easy to learn, i think there is a website somewhere with all the words on, maybe pete knows it, however if you were able to blag a seat in the lower barclay (blocks c-e) you would soon learn them

i appreciate that certain areas of the ground are more like graveyards when singing is in full flow, i struggle to know why this is - yet these areas (city stand beyond the snakepit in particular) always get up and wave their programmes at the ref/lino if a bad decision is made

if they are SO animated, what about singing along to a few songs too?

you don''t have to be a good singer, i''m not, but no one cares, its the passion and commitment and pride that makes the voice strong, not knowing how to sing technically! 

have a go two sheds, you never know, you might even enjoy it

I bet the people who do not sing are some of the biggest moaners when things go wrong.

Worthy likes the crowd to get behind the team and as a Snakepitter (good word!) I do my bit every game and thinks it helps. My son who sits in the River End hates it, we tried to get him near us but all the seats are taken.

I had to stand in the River End for the semi final of the Milk Cup (just a few years ago) and the atmosphere matched that of the Barclay. So you can make some noise so why don''t you all do it? It will get a response from the other sections of the ground and may become a regular thing (Dream now over!)

KICK IT OFF!! throw it in!! have a little scrimmage,
Keep it low, a splendid rush, bravo win or die.

On the ball City, never mind the danger,
Steady on, now''s your chance,
Hurrah! We''ve scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CITY!! CITY!! CITY!! CITY!!

OTBC lyrics.  Dear TBK you''ve missed off in the last line, "A goal, I hate that, and I also hate the way its shouted out at the start of home games.  (Bah humbug, typical Riverender!!)  Now for a history lesson, and how its improving in the Riverend.

Cast your minds back to the bad old singing days of the mid 90''s.  The Barclay D and E were the only ones singing along came the snakepit to outsing them.  D & E upped the ante, and C joined in too, finally the singing spread to the Thorpe end of City stand and A & B blocks too, a wall of noise greeted us in the South Stand and Riverend.

The run to the playoffs sparked off further singing in other parts of the ground, and to me this kicked off the great levels of support that we now have at Carra and helped to build the fortress.

Jarrold stand gets built, hello whats that I hear to my right, yes its singing, fantastic.  So we in the Riverend get a bit of rhythmic clapping going along to Worthys G & Y army, Come on yew Yellas at corners and OTBC when we score. As PG said when Son of Snake is full there will be more noise added and it will encourage us all, bear with us we are getting there!

Although I''m a big fan of chanting and singing myself, I was just thinking that the River End has almost always been quiet, although I remember a game against Spurs in the FA Cup in about 1983, when quite a few chants started up down there (we were all looking at each other wondering what was going on).

Anyway, my point is that over the years we''ve definitely scored more goals down the River End - maybe its because they''re quiet, or maybe the players prefer to have the noisier fans behind them. 

The only time I have heard real noise from the River End was the second half of the play-off match against Wolves...the players, especially Nielson and Rivers (where are they now?!) were trying to fire up the lower tier at corners and it worked.

Personally I love singing (these days I go in the Jarrold or Barclay), but I lose my voice by half time and can''t talk for a day. The singing seems to get better the nearer to the away supporters you get.

I wouldn''t swap my seat in the Barclay for anything!  I think it''s a common trait amongst clubs where only sections of the ground sing.  The only ground I''ve ever been to where the whole ground was buzzing is St Andrews.  Everywhere else, it''s normally just one end

Oh please, what rubbish. People aren''t forced to sing On The Ball City before the match. No one points a gun at their heads.

And DD is right, most grounds only have one section of singing fans. Norwich has two and the banter between them (when things are going well) is brilliant.

Hopefully when the new infill opens more of the South Stand will join in and FCR will be more like Fratton Park where everyone sings and away teams are intimidated by it.

Snakepit ''till I die!

The River End was not always so quiet - in the days when it was open terracing it was equal to, if not better, than the Barclay for noise and atmosphere.  Indeed, many, many fans stood on the terracing at the River End because of the atmosphere. In THE Promotion Season, Jimmy Bone used to love whipping up the noise at that end of the ground.

When they built the stand at the River End we rushed to get season tickets in the upper tier, inline with the goal. Big mistake

From day one the noise and singing stopped. I think it was because the majority of the "singers" migrated to the Barclay, which was still casual entry at that time. As I had just started taking my sons to Carrow Road there was a benefit of sorts in being in the "quiet" end.  I kept our seasons in the River End for several years until my boys were in their early teens. We then migrated to the Main Stand for a few seasons before settling in at the Upper Barclay.

We love the Upper Barclay - great fans around us who have had their seats for years and years, and plenty of singing and chanting

It is wierd though to watch the River End after a goal - the Bottom Tier celebrate but the Upper Tier remains seated

Son Of Snakepit could make a major difference to vocal support coming from all ends of the ground, which has to be to our benefit

Would it be legal to pipe some crowd chants over the tannoys in the quieter areas of the ground? If not, get a few people to bring some very loud sound equipment and play the songs on that!  Would be better than the pompey bell and drum!

OTBC