Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Time to re-assess our aims for the season??

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.[/quote]I dont see why we NEED a new owner to invest in January. We spent what seems to be at least £2m this summer without a new owner or any investment apparently. If we can spend a few hundred thousand on two new players in Jan or maybe even on a couple of loans to add more depth to the squad we will do fine.[/quote]But that is the question. Where did that money (whether it was £2m or not) come from to fund our summer spending? It certainly didn''t come from McNally putting up the price of a cup of coffee.We won''t know until we see the accounts for 2009/2010 and quite possibly even the accounts for 2010/2011, but it is a very distinct possibility it was at least in part funded by gifts/"loans" from the three old guard directors. And they cannot keep giving/"lending" the club money ad infinitum.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.[/quote]I dont see why we NEED a new owner to invest in January. We spent what seems to be at least £2m this summer without a new owner or any investment apparently. If we can spend a few hundred thousand on two new players in Jan or maybe even on a couple of loans to add more depth to the squad we will do fine.[/quote]But that is the question. Where did that money (whether it was £2m or not) come from to fund our summer spending? It certainly didn''t come from McNally putting up the price of a cup of coffee.We won''t know until we see the accounts for 2009/2010 and quite possibly even the accounts for 2010/2011, but it is a very distinct possibility it was at least in part funded by gifts/"loans" from the three old guard directors. And they cannot keep giving/"lending" the club money ad infinitum.[/quote]No that is very true. The point I was more trying to make was that we have had a reasonable level of investment from those who are already here this season but there seems to be little credit for that.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.[/quote]I dont see why we NEED a new owner to invest in January. We spent what seems to be at least £2m this summer without a new owner or any investment apparently. If we can spend a few hundred thousand on two new players in Jan or maybe even on a couple of loans to add more depth to the squad we will do fine.[/quote]But that is the question. Where did that money (whether it was £2m or not) come from to fund our summer spending? It certainly didn''t come from McNally putting up the price of a cup of coffee.We won''t know until we see the accounts for 2009/2010 and quite possibly even the accounts for 2010/2011, but it is a very distinct possibility it was at least in part funded by gifts/"loans" from the three old guard directors. And they cannot keep giving/"lending" the club money ad infinitum.[/quote]No that is very true. The point I was more trying to make was that we have had a reasonable level of investment from those who are already here this season but there seems to be little credit for that. [/quote]Indeed, KC. No doubt the tougher financial regime we''ve apparently had over the last year was necessary to stop us losing money and to stabilise our position. But it seems improbable that it was so successful that is also entirely funded our summer spending.As to why some posters here have been giving the credit to Bowkett and McNally for our summer spending and none to the old guard, I think that''s a question only those posters can answer.

We could go up this season, I really do believe we are capable but we are going to need to add at least one ‘impact’ type player into the squad.

A few years ago we ere blessed by the arrival of a certain D Huckerby and with one more signing of that sort of calibre and a good run on the injury front we could be very close come May.

“But we don’t have any money”

The customary cry from the masses but I genuinely believe there is sufficient belief in the current regime to warrant another share issue and whilst times are hard what better antidote than a resurgent NCFC?

So then board its over to you, ask for the loot and lets see if we can raise a couple of million to give Lambo and his team?

The other lot are going to be pretty close I think so surely this is even more reason to give Lambo the resources he needs?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ve always said that if we play like we did last season, improve on it if we can and avoid injuries then we can do well!

Anyone that hasn''t yet realised that Lambert and Mcnally are just here to pick up their wages, need to open their eyes. Thats why all this talk of consolodation is tripe! 

Those saying at the end of last season that most of team would have to be changed in order to compete in the Championship were talking b ollocks! 

But its still early days yet so lets keep expectations down and hope we have luck on our side!

[/quote]

Aren''t just here to pick up their wages,was what I meant to say!

WHEN CAN WE HAVE THE POWER TO EDIT POSTS ON THIS FORUM?

[/quote]

When Archant have the money/desire to upgrade their software, btu seeing as they don''t make money from this website I can''t see why they''d want to bother.

[/quote]

So those annoying ads are just there to be...well...annoying are they?

I think top half will be fine, i don''t think we are ready to go up, although our manager is! We are not a strong enough team to even try and avoid relegation in the prem! I don think we can get over excited as we lost on the 1st day then get 7 points from9 and next were going up!

I reckon we are good enough to get into the play-offs, if our away from stays consistent, and we can make sure we keep mistakes to a minimum, and take our chances (obviously) There is know reason why we can''t get into the play-offs (or higher :D)....

I do think ''consolidation'' is not something we should be aiming for, and i don''t think Lambert has that in mind either.....

Nope....... Leeds don''t, thanks why the kept Beckford for so long, Now Everton don''t want to take all their chances......and look at Liverlose, they keep on making mistakes all the time, not sacking Benitez at least a year ago, buying a dutch player :P, being scouse etc etc

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ve always said that if we play like we did last season, improve on it if we can and avoid injuries then we can do well!

Anyone that hasn''t yet realised that Lambert and Mcnally are just here to pick up their wages, need to open their eyes. Thats why all this talk of consolodation is tripe! 

Those saying at the end of last season that most of team would have to be changed in order to compete in the Championship were talking b ollocks! 

But its still early days yet so lets keep expectations down and hope we have luck on our side!

[/quote]

[/quote]

When Archant have the money/desire to upgrade their software, btu seeing as they don''t make money from this website I can''t see why they''d want to bother.

[/quote]

[/quote]Alright smart arse, what do you think Archant make from a few text-only Google ads, offset against the cost of maybe 20% of SDP''s time to administer this site?  Answer = zero minus f**k all, approximately.

Bury Green,

It would have to be some hell of a player to make me consider taking part in another share issue.

When the board asked for money to sign Hucks I handed over my cash as I knew he was worth it. Who could we sign on loan now with a view to making it permanent with a share issue to make me spend my cash in that way again?

I can''t think of anyone. Can you?

davo

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Alright smart arse, what do you think Archant make from a few text-only Google ads, offset against the cost of maybe 20% of SDP''s time to administer this site?  Answer = zero minus f**k all, approximately.[/quote]And you only get money for google ads if someone actually clicks on the links, and when you do you get 1p - 5p...10p max.