Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Time to re-assess our aims for the season??

...I aim this at those who, like me, were happy enough for us to avoid relegation or at best consolidate in this league this season.

After playing a Nott''m Forest side who only two weeks ago the the bookmakers 2nd favourites to win the league of the park today, I firmly believe that a play-off push should be in sight?

What we will have guaranteed this season is that Lambert will go all out to win EVERY away match this season and I think we''re in for some good entertainment away from home on this afternoons evidence. What a change this makes from following Norwich away from home in the dark days of ''saftey first'', in the days of Rioch,Roeder and the latter days of Worthington when going 1-0 down spelt defeat!

But as Worthy said, lets get to that 50 point mark as quick as possible, then kick on from there.  I''ve been happy with the start we''ve made.  We played well today according to reports, but we now need to play like that consistently.  I said at the start we should be looking for top 12/top 10 and any better will be a bonus.  I reckon if we are in the top 10 or so when the window re-opens in Jan, we will be able to spend and improve the squad if Lambert wants to.  But isn''t great to look forward to away games again?  We were so poor for so long on the road and now Lambert has installed a new confidence in the boys to beleive they can get results away from CR.

I''d rather keep the expectation levels down and still think we would be more than happy with a top 8 finish. Let''s not go overboard as there are some teams who will be right up there come May, hopefully we will.

Well it certainly does fill you with confidence.  Lambert is definately the man for us and whilst I wouldn''t rule out the play offs I''m not going to get too excited after the fourth game and I would still be happy with top 14.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Promotion is conjecture. I suppose you have seen it in your crystal bollox?[/quote]

[:D] As good as the last few results have been (dissappointed to draw today tbh) it''s still too early to get overly optimistic.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Promotion is conjecture. I suppose you have seen it in your crystal bollox?[/quote]I saw promotion last year in October, and I have seen it once again.

Just because you can''t understand it, doesn''t make it wrong.[:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Promotion is conjecture. I suppose you have seen it in your crystal bollox?[/quote]I saw promotion last year in October, and I have seen it once again.

[/quote]Prophetic. A new manager, we''d won some games comfortably, confidence was high, there was still most of the season to go - well, it''s beyond me how you saw that. Fancy sharing your secret?

I think Lambert sends the team out to win whoever they are playing, so naturally the goal is promotion.  And IMO promotion through the playoffs is a very real possibility.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

It never fails to amuse me how you believe, so much in your own shite. I, for one, lose track of your opinions because you contradict yourself at every available oportunity - this is a genious ploy at ''being right'' at some point. You predicted league 2 football last summer; after we signed Holt, a player you said would never come.

Wizard.You have all the hallmarks of a mental illness, maybe its the medication that you are on. Maybe you aren''t on any medication and don''t have an illness, maybe you have some offshoot of Münchausen syndrome. After all you are an attention seeking tw@t.

The signs are promising for the season. We''ve played poorly and beaten a Swansea side that narrowly missed out on a Play Off spot last season & got a very creditable draw away to a Forest side who''ve been tipped as one of the favourites for promotion.

However let''s not get too carried away, take it game by game and see where we are towards the business end of the season.

If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.

By the laws of random speculation I thing Wiz has backed a winner here.

The rest of us who saw this before the season started will point to the organisation and determination that is now behind the club.

Couple that with a season where so many clubs appear to be up s it creek financially then the odds are doubling stacked in our favour.

[quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.
[/quote]

Well I don''t want Norwich to buy success I want to see the team, the Manager and the Club earn it. I don''t have any respect for Manchester City or even Chelsea, although its getting there as their players seem to have been around for a long time now. I want us to have success through prudence and careful planning and hard work. I want the boys to be rewarded, if they get there, with a crack at the Pemiership and earn some of the wages will be available.

We are, I think, in the top six now, and I think we will stop there. Cardiff and Leeds will come their usual croppers  along with Ipswich and Lambert will determine that he does not want to risk the play-offs and go for a top two finish. I would think that by Christmas Carters will be fine tuning their bid for the second tier on the City Stand and the Bank will be agreeing a bridging loan for the £1.5 million it is going to cost.The deeds for the strip of Carrow Road that is in front of the Directors'' entrance will have been handed over to the Club and we can look forward to the glory days again of local Derbys with Tottenham, West Ham and, dare I say it, Arsenal.

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.[/quote]

Well I don''t want Norwich to buy success I want to see the team, the Manager and the Club earn it. I don''t have any respect for Manchester City or even Chelsea, although its getting there as their players seem to have been around for a long time now. I want us to have success through prudence and careful planning and hard work. I want the boys to be rewarded, if they get there, with a crack at the Pemiership and earn some of the wages will be available.

We are, I think, in the top six now, and I think we will stop there. Cardiff and Leeds will come their usual croppers  along with Ipswich and Lambert will determine that he does not want to risk the play-offs and go for a top two finish. I would think that by Christmas Carters will be fine tuning their bid for the second tier on the City Stand and the Bank will be agreeing a bridging loan for the £1.5 million it is going to cost.The deeds for the strip of Carrow Road that is in front of the Directors'' entrance will have been handed over to the Club and we can look forward to the glory days again of local Derbys with Tottenham, West Ham and, dare I say it, Arsenal.

[/quote]Tbh I would much rather football was how it was 20 years ago so that clubs like ours could still compete in the top division but sadly I don''t see it happenning, I also have no time for Chelsea or Man City but without money we are not on a level playing field anymore and as wrong as it is sadly that''s the way football is nowadays.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Bobert, i assume the £1.5m is a typo?  £11.5m?[/quote]

Yes, sorry about that. I think the last infill cost £3.5 million and that was considered expensive at the time so £11.5 million should be about right.

[quote user="Bobert"]I want us to have success through prudence and careful planning and hard work.We are, I think, in the top six now, and I think we will stop there. Cardiff and Leeds will come their usual croppers  along with Ipswich and Lambert will determine that he does not want to risk the play-offs and go for a top two finish. I would think that by Christmas Carters will be fine tuning their bid for the second tier on the City Stand and the Bank will be agreeing a bridging loan for the £1.5 million it is going to cost.The deeds for the strip of Carrow Road that is in front of the Directors'' entrance will have been handed over to the Club and we can look forward to the glory days again of local Derbys with Tottenham, West Ham and, dare I say it, Arsenal.[/quote]Bobert, in your "prudent" plan, given that we are already £23m in debt, where exactly is the money coming from for:1. Improving the squad to turn us from a top-six side into a top two side?2. an £11.5m stand?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Bobert`s funding both [;)][/quote]Phew! That''s a relief. I thought it was going to have to be me. Yet again...[;)]

I think many of us would agree with tricky away ties against Doncaster and Preston and home ties against Hull and Barnsley, that if we''re top 10 at the end of September we''d be happy.

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Bobert, i assume the £1.5m is a typo?  £11.5m?[/quote]

Yes, sorry about that. I think the last infill cost £3.5 million and that was considered expensive at the time so £11.5 million should be about right.

[/quote]£15m according to the last NCFC AGM.No chance of an upper tier /new GW stand with our current level of debt.

I''ve always said that if we play like we did last season, improve on it if we can and avoid injuries then we can do well!

Anyone that hasn''t yet realised that Lambert and Mcnally are just here to pick up their wages, need to open their eyes. Thats why all this talk of consolodation is tripe! 

Those saying at the end of last season that most of team would have to be changed in order to compete in the Championship were talking b ollocks! 

But its still early days yet so lets keep expectations down and hope we have luck on our side!

[quote user="kdncfc"]If we stay free from injury we certainly have a chance of getting promoted but as things stand at the moment if we lose Holt or Russell Martin to injury I don''t think we have adequate replacements for them and we could struggle. As ever it all comes down to money and I live in hope that we will have a new owner or serious investment by Christmas so we have a bit to spend to strengthen in January and push for the top towards the end of the season when it matters. I certainly think we have a manager more than capable of getting us promoted and it could make things very interesting if we suddenly came in to a bit of cash.[/quote]I dont see why we NEED a new owner to invest in January. We spent what seems to be at least £2m this summer without a new owner or any investment apparently. If we can spend a few hundred thousand on two new players in Jan or maybe even on a couple of loans to add more depth to the squad we will do fine.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ve always said that if we play like we did last season, improve on it if we can and avoid injuries then we can do well!

Anyone that hasn''t yet realised that Lambert and Mcnally are just here to pick up their wages, need to open their eyes. Thats why all this talk of consolodation is tripe! 

Those saying at the end of last season that most of team would have to be changed in order to compete in the Championship were talking b ollocks! 

But its still early days yet so lets keep expectations down and hope we have luck on our side!

[/quote]

Aren''t just here to pick up their wages,was what I meant to say!

WHEN CAN WE HAVE THE POWER TO EDIT POSTS ON THIS FORUM?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

Aren''t just here to pick up their wages,was what I meant to say!

WHEN CAN WE HAVE THE POWER TO EDIT POSTS ON THIS FORUM?

[/quote]

When Archant have the money/desire to upgrade their software, btu

seeing as they don''t make money from this website I can''t see why they''d

want to bother.