Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Why can MK Dons Host the world cup but..

Because if England host the World Cup then the capacity will be increased to 44,000. We didn''t even put ourselves in for consideration.

will and bump both give the main reasons. Norwich is the hinterlands, and there was no announced plan to expand the stadium to make it big enough to have plenty of empty seats like in S Af.

I know, I know, the stadiums won''t be echo chambers when the WC is in England. I was taking a dig at S Af.

It is because the City and the County cannot afford the infer-structure that needs to be in place to be co-hosts of the World Cup. The security of the teams, the policing for the visitors, who could include Heads of State, the improvement needed to the road and rail services, the number of hotel places, the training facilities and the distruption to general social and business life in the County.

It is not a question of arranging a couple of extra games at Carrow unfortunately. These days sponsors have the power to stop sales of goods not to their liking within the proximity of the stadium too. Would you want to have to drink Carling instead of Adnams and Wherry for two weeks because some poxy country was playing North Korea? It would not be to my liking and that''s for sure!

Glad we''re not hosting any matches to be honest. We have learnt from the opening games of this season that Carrow Road has a big enough capacity. We are not turning fans away. If you want a ticket on the door (we''ve discussed pricing to death) you can get one. To be honest I think the World Cup could represent something of a poisoned challice for both Plymouth and MK Dons. They will be left with these 40,000 stadiums which their crowds of around 10,000 (on a good day) cannot justify. This hardly seems to be the positive legacy which FIFA bangs on about. The other major issue has been alluded to earlier is that you probably end up hosting Togo v North Korea or something to that effect. So is it really a great loss?

Firstly MK Dons applied to the 2018 Bid to be one of the World Cup stadiums, and as they are centrally located with good transport links 2018 went for it. Also MK Dons said they would finance the majority of the upgrade works to the stadium.To put a caveat on this is that if the England bid is the winner, they will review which stadiums are actually used for the World Cup, with speculation already saying that only 1 of Plymouth, Bristol and MK getting to host games (the most likely winner being Bristol as Plymouth are already having second thoughts about expanding their stadium). It would be great to have World Cup games at Carrow Road but Norwich City would be expected to fund a large percentage of the cost of expanding the stadium to 44,000 (which England want as the minimum attendance to make the potential profits look good for FIFA).

We never applied while they did!

Plymouth is in cause of its out of the way location means the World cup games will be spread out!

Bristol cause its a big City in the South West of the Country!

Milton Keynes cause its half way between London and Birmingham with good transport lnks and they''ve said they''ll subsidise it!

Our club is bigger than MK Franchisers and Plymouth put together and certainly both Bristol clubs put together and we''re situated in an outpost so Norwich would be more suitable than all of them!

We''d also get closer to filling a 45,000 stadium than all them would!

in my opinion, the financial implications of putting in a bid for hosting games was a bit prohibitive. According to something i read, it cost plymouth council £250,000 to put a bid forward

[quote user="lordyfan"]in my opinion, the financial implications of putting in a bid for hosting games was a bit prohibitive. According to something i read, it cost plymouth council £250,000 to put a bid forward
[/quote]

And how stupid will they look after the W/C withonly 3 or 4000