Sign in to follow this  
CantonsHero

What makes a loyal fan?

[quote user="canary cherub "]

aaarrrggghhh! I thought this subject was done to death in the bad old days 2006-9 when underachievement was sanctioned by sellout crowds.  Call that loyalty?  I don''t.

[/quote]

Indeed it was cherub. But in the main that was done to death by those who considered themselves more loyal by boycotting the club when they were sliding down and supporting them on the way back up. I always tried to steer clear of such debates but it always seemed crazy to me how those boycotters could consider themselves more loyal than the fans who carried on trying to motivate their team into getting enough points to avoid the drop.

I have supported norwich since  the 1970''s but living in the midlands its not easy to get there all the time I have been to loads of games at carrow road and  around the country been to wembley 3 times  cardiff and  to germany to see the  canaries play (bayern) I have several shirts scarfs flag  and other  merchandise of  NCFC, I started  supporting them when I lived  in Norwich in the 70''s and have been doing so ever since braving the  mocking of coventry villa west brom wolves birmingham fans all the  time but everywhere I have gone I have spread the word about the  canaries  even  now I get a  call from the fans I know telling me they are keeping  an eye out for Norwich results, may have even got a few  converts  LOL does  that make me a loyal fan I wonder ?OTBC

[quote user="DENKO"]Surely a loyal fan is someone who follows Norwich exclusively.

If you nail your colours to the mast and don''t change them, then for me, you are a loyal fan.

If you chop and change the team you follow, then you are disloyal.

For me, it''s now season 27 since pledging my unwaivering allegiance to City[/quote]i agree, we support our club. this is it! OTBC

I stand on the castle mound and think off my memories of being born in this fine city,look towards carrow road,and think I''ve truly won the lottery of life.

loyal [ˈlɔɪəl]

adj

1. having or showing continuing allegiance

2. faithful to one''s country, government, etc.

3. of or expressing loyalty

as others have said on here, its not how many games you go to, how many shirts you buy, its the continued support of the team through good and bad times.

Its your team, our team, you hurt when they lose are ecstatic when they win, but come what may you stay a fan, forever

[quote user="Nolly"]loyal [ˈlɔɪəl]

adj

as others have said on here, its not how many games you go to, how many shirts you buy, its the continued support of the team through good and bad times.

Its your team, our team, you hurt when they lose are ecstatic when they win, but come what may you stay a fan, forever
[/quote]Amen!

Well, I am definitely one of the most new supporters on this forum as I have only been following Norwich since very early last season. the stars just aligned at the right time where I had access to some rare matches on Setanta US and being late to the game when it came to streaming matches online.I had no interest in the majority of the clubs currently in the EPL especially the Big 4.  The league is way too much about the money and way too easy to predict.I will admit that I enjoy watching football in various European countries.  That said in the UK, I quickly heard how interesting the Championship was so it started my curiosity in the various lower leagues.  It definitely was entertaining. I forget what it was but I saw a Norwich match early in the season by streaming and I was highly entertained by their style of play.I quickly started researching what I could about the history.  Granted, I saw more ups than downs last season but growing up with sports teams in Michigan and Ohio, I am used to going through tons of stress when it comes to supporting a team.The little kid in me will also tell you that those damn bright yellow kits stood out to me as well. :)I only have this year''s kit as I got it as soon as they were available at end of last season along with one scarf.

I know that many would say that it is just another American who doesn''t understand the club or might just go to the next big thing.  That might be true for many people but I just know whatever the many reasons that brought my attention to this wonderful club, I am here now and you can''t get rid of me.  :)

I know I can''t wait to hear all the stories of the many of you who have been going to matches for many years![H]

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

A very sticky area to go down!

I will never understand people not from East Anglia supporting Norwich cause they just picked them out. I support Norwich cause I''m local and certainly would not support them if I wasn''t local. I think its so much better supporting your local club cause you know more about the club and what makes it tick. Thats why I feel sorry for gloryhunting TV fans who go to a game once in a blue moon and don''t know about the ups and downs of following your team live through thick and thin!     

[/quote]

Now that is the sticky area you are talking about,one i have been down on numerous occasions!!

[/quote]

I''ll add to that by saying I am not from East Anglia Either, I watched Norwich play at St Andrews with my Brothers who are B-ham fans way back in the early 60''s, I was hooked from then on, I have lived in East Anglia for around 25 years held a S/T for 15 of those years got 60 team shirts and jerseys all hang up in wardrobe along with my 1902 shirt I have team Photos hung up with my S/T stuck to frames.Am I a loyal outsider fan then, who attends all Home games come wind rain snow or shine, I''m more forunate than most and can make every match  via the Nelson  I don''t think myself to be a Loyal fan at all, But being a fan Keeps my feeling young and active, and having my heart broblem it helps me, but my wife calls me stupid, I''m 59 during the week, come Saturday I''m 25, the same age as my son         

For Gods sake - why are football fans so pathetic that they see fandom as a competition in itself?

Seriously - people are and should be allowed to support or enjoy a team as much or as little as they want.

The "I''m more of a football fan than you" crap doesn''t half wear thin around the millionth time...

[quote user="Nolly"]loyal [ˈlɔɪəl]

adj

[/quote]Precisely what I said. [H] I''ve been to so and so games ..... pretty sad saying stuff like that.

[quote user="First Jedi"]For Gods sake - why are football fans so pathetic that they see fandom as a competition in itself? Seriously - people are and should be allowed to support or enjoy a team as much or as little as they want. The "I''m more of a football fan than you" crap doesn''t half wear thin around the millionth time...[/quote]

That''s glory-hunter talk. ;-)

I think its difficult to measure loyalty in simple terms. I never missed a league game home or away for ten years in the 70''s and 80''s, but when I went to work and had a family and moved away it got harder to get to every game. I went round europe with them but missed the playoff final at Cardiff.

I''ve got a season ticket but still don''t get to every game - I''m happy to lend it to mates who want to go when I can''t.

Loyalty is in the heart. I think of mates who''ve grown up supporting several different clubs, or always followed manure or liverpool. If you are truly loyal it is because you can''t help it. For me it was simply because it''s where I was from and what my family had followed for generations. No choice, just heritage.

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

A very sticky area to go down!

I will never understand people not from East Anglia supporting Norwich cause they just picked them out. I support Norwich cause I''m local and certainly would not support them if I wasn''t local. I think its so much better supporting your local club cause you know more about the club and what makes it tick. Thats why I feel sorry for gloryhunting TV fans who go to a game once in a blue moon and don''t know about the ups and downs of following your team live through thick and thin!     

[/quote]

Now that is the sticky area you are talking about,one i have been down on numerous occasions!!

[/quote]

I''ll add to that by saying I am not from East Anglia Either, I watched Norwich play at St Andrews with my Brothers who are B-ham fans way back in the early 60''s, I was hooked from then on, I have lived in East Anglia for around 25 years held a S/T for 15 of those years got 60 team shirts and jerseys all hang up in wardrobe along with my 1902 shirt I have team Photos hung up with my S/T stuck to frames.Am I a loyal outsider fan then, who attends all Home games come wind rain snow or shine, I''m more forunate than most and can make every match  via the Nelson  I don''t think myself to be a Loyal fan at all, But being a fan Keeps my feeling young and active, and having my heart broblem it helps me, but my wife calls me stupid, I''m 59 during the week, come Saturday I''m 25, the same age as my son         

[/quote]

A big [Y] pete and to First Jedi,Nolly and others.

I would also like to mention the fact that people haven''t deserted in droves,especially after the severe lows the club has been through in the last few years,Now that is loyalty.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]The other debate I started had this element brought up: loyalty.Some fans on here can count their Norwich games on their fingers. Some are already pushing that this year. Some have never bought a strip, some have every single one. I myself would count myself as a loyal fan; with my darkest point being not watching Norwich ManU in the premier league because I expected a poor result. That shook me, and I''ve regretted it ever since. I have three shirts at the mo; last years home; the home from three years before that, and the red goalie away shirt.Last year I managed two away games by note of living in Walsall, and being very busy. (Exeter and Walsallm though I did go to that game three times)However I watched every game I could on sky or streams.This year I watched us against Everton (Carrow Road) Watford (Sky) and Forest (the surprisingly poor City Ground).However, I could have gone to Swansea live; I chose not to.At what point can a fan be called loyal? [/quote]Im such a huge Norwich fan that I''ve got a huge Grant Holt cut out and I put it in my bed and cuddle it at night.My Girl friend isnt that happy about it, but I told her she could join us if she wanted but she had to close her eyes !!I also make sure I get to Carrow Road or whatever away venue we are at at least 3 days before the game and camp out in my tent so I can be the first into the ground.Following this I wait and make sure Im the last person out as I want to sit and sing OTBC the loudest and longest.

Why do we always have to have the whole " your not a real fan" / " your not loyal" / "whos the biggest fan"Simply put :You support Norwich then your a fan and I consider you one.End of Happy days