Sign in to follow this  
CantonsHero

My thoughts about the game

First of all: Kudos to the 11 on the pitch who played superbly and made it an enjoyable match to watch.I felt embarrassed by the fans today. There''s no doubt from my position that the commitment is there and that for the team we''re great, but I don''t see it lasting.There''s threads on here about Wigan and their pitiful attendance and there are mitigating factors to that, but personally I had a little girl behind me, a young lad beside me and a girl with her dad to my right. I''d guess that they were 7, 11 and 5 respectfully, and if I were their parents, they wouldn''t come to a match again.I love Norwich City and I love the way we play. I love that we play in yellow and I love that we play fantastic open attacking football. I wish I lived near Carrow Road so I could justify a season ticket but 4 hours each week there and back is too much for me, hence why I try to attend away games.I feel like we''re a family club. We don''t have thug players, we don''t play dirty and I think it''s so easy to enjoy our playing, but the fans today with their open abuse of the stewards; the constant swearing and the arrogance of some of the fans when asked to sit down really upset me. I heard fan after fan moaning "they up there aren''t sitting down", when looking round nearly all of the Forest fans were. I''m a teacher and that''s just immature, "but he''s doing it as well" rubbish, and we should be better than that. Seriously, though, when a steward asks you politely, and they were polite every single time to sit down, why question it; just do it. They know when it''s exciting we;re going to stand, and they were happy to allow it, but for the rest of the time, just sit down; make their job easier and concentrate on enjoying the game. It just made me feel nervous every time I stood up because on the end of the row I was worried I was going to be the example shown; as it were the three removed at points didn''t seem to care, and that worries me just as much. I can''t help but think if we''d have concentrated on the team as opposed to baiting the stewards and the fans, the poor morphsuit boy would have gotten home unscathed.So next time you pay £27 to go and watch an away game, concentrate on the game, be civil, be polite, be helpful, and enjoy the game, because there''s so much to enjoy about our team, and we really can if we work together on it.My next game is Preston, and I really hope that we leave Deepdale, knowing that we were the better team, and the better fans.

[quote user="CantonsHero"] I can''t help but think if we''d have concentrated on the team as opposed

to baiting the stewards and the fans, the poor morphsuit boy would have

gotten home unscathed.[/quote]I think that''s quite a leap of faith you''ve just taken.  In the 606 thread, the lad admits to "giving some verbal" to the Forest fans in response to their taunting.

Perhaps if we were all made to wear suits and ties with ladies dressing in their finery that may help. When the half time whistle blows we can all file out to have our milk.

What a joke. Our supporters are some of the best in the land. We have a few odd ones but trouble makers they are not.

I appreciate your point of view CH and you may wish for what is utopia when it comes to supporting your club but being with the masses is what you got yesterday and in general will not change.

I think I ''m a reasonably respectable chap but I love being with our lot at away games and all that it involves. It''s a marvellous contrast and relief from the rest of the week.

Morning my fellow dissident Yella, good showing yesterday and we really did deserve to win. 

There is a clue in the OP’s post; can you spot what it is? 

Really, some people really do beggar belief is pretty much on a par with Pythons crucifixion scene.

“It may not matter to you, Roman, but it certainly matters to us. Doesn''t it, darling?

"Oh, rather”

passion is needed at football matches and from what I read on here there are far too many gimps complaining about swearing and confrontations with jobsworth stewards, who in my opinion home and away are a pain in the arse.If i pay the money to watch a game why should I be told to sit down and have to think what i''m doing all the time. And before anyone starts about not being able to see as a result of other people standing  then its simple go in the family stand or if not able bodied  then use the disabled facilities if not get down the gym and sort yourself out.This is football not tennis for f**kssake

I love the fact the content of the post has absolutly nothing to do with its title! Maybe "My thoughts about the Norwich fans" would have been more apt?

For what its worth I too was dissapointed with the behaviour of some of our fans at the Blackburn match. Way too much bad language foe my liking. And some of the needless abuse they were giving to their fellow fans was quite frankly depressing. It seems a new breed of travelling fans has surfaced within the nest, and they are an ugly bunch.

[quote user="go donowa go"]passion is needed at football matches and from what I read on here there are far too many gimps complaining about swearing and confrontations with jobsworth stewards, who in my opinion home and away are a pain in the arse.If i pay the money to watch a game why should I be told to sit down and have to think what i''m doing all the time. And before anyone starts about not being able to see as a result of other people standing  then its simple go in the family stand or if not able bodied  then use the disabled facilities if not get down the gym and sort yourself out.This is football not tennis for f**kssake
[/quote]

I''m 5'' 1", I can''t see the pitch when some 22st 6 footer stands up in front of me. Can you explain how I can "sort myself out" an extra foot in height by going down the gym? It''s the likes of you who are spoiling football for the majority of us family fans. I hope the Club puts the prices up by a fiver a ticket to price you roughhouse oiks out of the ground.

I always ask this same question at sporting events over here when the disagreement comes up.  Does standing give one the ability to be sing louder or clap louder than one that is sitting?[:^)]

Don''t get me wrong, I love that the Bundesliga in Germany allows specific standing terraces for those that want to stand and I would prefer to stand if given the chance.I just always get confused when someone acts like you can''t get loud if you are sitting. 

I have been to a number of away games over the years and was promted to write in after the Gillingham away game last year when I thought a number of the fans were a disgrace. Most upsetting were the racist chants which showed what narrow minded and insular some Norwich fans can be. Most of the other away games last season were not much better although thankfully the racist chanting had dried up. I think some of the younger supporters and unfortunatley a small number of older fans, think they have something to prove and it makes them look hard when they abuse the other fans and stewards. I also feel certain that should these ''hard men'' come up against a number of opposition fans who did want a fight, they would fill their pants before running in the direction of their mothers. I am of the opinion that when you enter the ground you know what the rules are and if you don''t like them, don''t go.

[quote user="go donowa go"]passion is needed at football matches and from what I read on here there are far too many gimps complaining about swearing and confrontations with jobsworth [/quote]It takes a certain kind of person to confuse "passion" with "being an aggressive moron".  Clearly you are one of the special ones!

[quote user="dj11"]I have been to a number of away games over the years and was promted to write in after the Gillingham away game last year when I thought a number of the fans were a disgrace. Most upsetting were the racist chants which showed what narrow minded and insular some Norwich fans can be. Most of the other away games last season were not much better although thankfully the racist chanting had dried up. I think some of the younger supporters and unfortunatley a small number of older fans, think they have something to prove and it makes them look hard when they abuse the other fans and stewards. I also feel certain that should these ''hard men'' come up against a number of opposition fans who did want a fight, they would fill their pants before running in the direction of their mothers. I am of the opinion that when you enter the ground you know what the rules are and if you don''t like them, don''t go.[/quote]Interesting. Can you elaborate on this bit?

The re-introduction of specific standing areas into grounds would be a good one and is worth pursuing, the problem is, people who choose to sit, would still stand-if you can see the logic in that!

I cannot jsut sit still whilst watching Norwich-its impossible! Its 90 minutes of physical torment and agitation-up, down, up, down, shout, yell, curse, scream-thats how it is! I don''t, and would never, act in a way to offend or upset fellow fans, but when you''re at the game, you''re IN the game, and no-one else is there, just you and your emotions!

Its a tough call. I''m afraid to suggest that no-one swears is always going to be a non-starter, we are talking about a physical sport that inflames passions and is, in the very great majority, watched by men aged 18-55. So folks will swear, especially in the "we''re all in this together" atmosphere, where they feel safe to let out their emotions and part of a temporary "brotherhood".

I don''t like the overt aggression, the racism, and the abuse at football, but you can have the passion and vocal and physical excitement without that-and lets hope that never dies. A book once predicted that, in the future, people would be paid to attend matches, to "provide authentic atmosphere"-heaven help us.

As for the younger supporters getting above themselves, it used to be the case, certainly in the Barclay, that if any did, someone would have a quiet "word in their ear" and, if that diudn''t work, a clip around the air would be forthcoming. Even in a football crowd, even in the ''old'' Barcaly, there was an unspoken but kept-to, code of conduct, and it wasn''t advisable to go beyond it-though the limits now would certainly be revised from what they were then!

After the black Gillingham player went down in the area and a penalty was given a number of people were shouting f****** nigg***. The usual black bast*** chant was in force. I challenged 2 people behind me and they did shut up

[quote user="dj11"]After the black Gillingham player went down in the area and a penalty was given a number of people were shouting f****** nigg***. The usual black bast*** chant was in force. I challenged 2 people behind me and they did shut up[/quote]

That''s a shame if that happened.But i have to say,even though i am not the most regular of attendees,that i have never heard any racial abuse at a game.Loads of swearing,which i can expect but non of that.

After the black Gillingham player went down in the area and a penalty

was given a number of people were shouting f****** nigg***. The usual

black bast*** chant was in force
. I challenged 2 people behind me and

they did shut up

You fat bast***? 

[quote user="CantonsHero"]First of all: Kudos to the 11 on the pitch who played superbly and made it an enjoyable match to watch.

I felt embarrassed by the fans today. There''s no doubt from my position that the commitment is there and that for the team we''re great, but I don''t see it lasting.

There''s threads on here about Wigan and their pitiful attendance and there are mitigating factors to that, but personally I had a little girl behind me, a young lad beside me and a girl with her dad to my right. I''d guess that they were 7, 11 and 5 respectfully, and if I were their parents, they wouldn''t come to a match again.

I love Norwich City and I love the way we play. I love that we play in yellow and I love that we play fantastic open attacking football. I wish I lived near Carrow Road so I could justify a season ticket but 4 hours each week there and back is too much for me, hence why I try to attend away games.

I feel like we''re a family club. We don''t have thug players, we don''t play dirty and I think it''s so easy to enjoy our playing, but the fans today with their open abuse of the stewards; the constant swearing and the arrogance of some of the fans when asked to sit down really upset me. I heard fan after fan moaning "they up there aren''t sitting down", when looking round nearly all of the Forest fans were. I''m a teacher and that''s just immature, "but he''s doing it as well" rubbish, and we should be better than that.

Seriously, though, when a steward asks you politely, and they were polite every single time to sit down, why question it; just do it. They know when it''s exciting we;re going to stand, and they were happy to allow it, but for the rest of the time, just sit down; make their job easier and concentrate on enjoying the game. It just made me feel nervous every time I stood up because on the end of the row I was worried I was going to be the example shown; as it were the three removed at points didn''t seem to care, and that worries me just as much. I can''t help but think if we''d have concentrated on the team as opposed to baiting the stewards and the fans, the poor morphsuit boy would have gotten home unscathed.

So next time you pay £27 to go and watch an away game, concentrate on the game, be civil, be polite, be helpful, and enjoy the game, because there''s so much to enjoy about our team, and we really can if we work together on it.

My next game is Preston, and I really hope that we leave Deepdale, knowing that we were the better team, and the better fans.
[/quote]G''iday Delia, you drunken old sop.

I think the point here is that certain fans apperas to be surfacing who dont understand the Norwich ethos. Ive always been proud of the behaviour of our fans but just recently the behaviour has caught my attention. Of course the older fans are going to be preturbed by this. True its part of football but its not always been part of Norwich. I just hope it doesnt exaserbate because I dont want to be chanting my team on with thugs and cretins.

This is one of those subjects, surely, where there is not a binary, he''s right/he''s wrong response to a thoughtful post. The respondents who have answered by swearing, albeit with asterisks, rather make CantonsHero''s point for him.

My sons are both men now, but I started taking them to matches when the youngest was six (21 years ago). When you do take young children to football, you view the constant swearing very differently. And those sitting near kids ought to behave with a little restraint and decency. It''s not much to ask. Shouting and showing "passion" doesn''t have to involve swearing, unless you have a limited vocabulary.

But -- and this is something that always gets my goat -- fans are entitled to expect stewards to have an equitable attitude: to deal with both sets of supporters in the same way.

So, yes, the stewards at Forest yesterday were polite and not at all aggressive. One woman steward was very helpful to my wife at half-time. Compare and contrast with the jackbooted jobsworths at Southampton and Plymouth.

But Forest fans in the Main Stand stood up repeatedly and for prolonged spells and were not asked to sit. So when Norwich fans were asked to sit, it felt unjust -- because it was unjust.

Much more importantly, though, City were excellent. The defensive organisation yesterday was outstanding. Lambert deployed his usual midfield diamond, but when Forest had possession Wes was our first line of defence, harrying their deep-lying “quarter-back”. We kept our shape brilliantly but the midfield and back four shuffled over to wherever the threat was, so that we were pressing in packs. Brilliant. We’ll be all right in this division.

OTBC

I stood the whole match, even though the stewards asked us to sit. It''s a football match for god sake, i don''t get why they make you sit? A guy 2 rows behind us had a go at us for standing, even though pretty much everyone towards the back was standing for the whole match. Surely by going to an away match if you want to sit you make sure you get seats at the front, or don''t go at all. I''m fed up of fellow supporters asking others to sit down. The atmosphere was much better when we were all standing. I appreciate some older supporters may not be able to stand for the duration, but surely ask for seats at the front not 5 rows from the back. He then questioned our support for the club, and told us that we should respect our elders. Absolute bullshit it''s got nothing to do with respect, and i sure didn''t see him at Blackburn on tuesday night, so much for loyal eh?

Plus i thought the atmosphere yesterday was brilliant, much better than it usually is, due to large amounts of people standing for the whole game.

100% agree with you slob, swindon away last season, in the stand with no roof everyone stood, all the elderly moved to the front so they can see. i bet most of you moaners go to about 3 games a season, when you are aloud out of your carehome.

Personally, when I rang the ticket office I wasn''t asked where I wanted to sit, and was just given seats.I think a lot of us are spoiled by Carrow Road. The fact is there that for the most part the stands are so well structured that you have such a good view of the whole pitch, but at these other grounds it can be difficult. For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday after about twenty minutes because the fans causing issues settled a bit, and then we had the injustice over going behind which kind of took over the feelings, but that initial period was summed up by requests to sit down being met by "Stand up if you hate the scum"; now I don''t know who that was about, but it''s immature. It was the first negative game experience I had since Exeter when my girlfriend got hit in the face by the ball, and the fans spent 90 minutes abusing our players. Since then it''s generally been pretty good including a highlight of the Walsall game where even though we were losing, Leeds were getting thrashed and everyone was joyous and well natured. And then we won, and everyone was laughing cause we''d been crap.My post was really just a plee: They will let you stand up intermittintly; if you want to have a chant or see some exciting action, but if you are asked to sit down, go along with it; make their job easier will make our job eaasier.See you at Deepdale.

[quote user="Bowgy"]100% agree with you slob, swindon away last season, in the stand with no roof everyone stood, all the elderly moved to the front so they can see. i bet most of you moaners go to about 3 games a season, when you are aloud out of your carehome.[/quote]Not to be antagonistic, but those who have sided with me have managed to do so without insults, whereas those who have sided against have used quite a few. Just saying.

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]This is one of those subjects, surely, where there is not a binary, he''s right/he''s wrong response to a thoughtful post. The respondents who have answered by swearing, albeit with asterisks, rather make CantonsHero''s point for him. My sons are both men now, but I started taking them to matches when the youngest was six (21 years ago). When you do take young children to football, you view the constant swearing very differently. And those sitting near kids ought to behave with a little restraint and decency. It''s not much to ask. Shouting and showing "passion" doesn''t have to involve swearing, unless you have a limited vocabulary. But -- and this is something that always gets my goat -- fans are entitled to expect stewards to have an equitable attitude: to deal with both sets of supporters in the same way. So, yes, the stewards at Forest yesterday were polite and not at all aggressive. One woman steward was very helpful to my wife at half-time. Compare and contrast with the jackbooted jobsworths at Southampton and Plymouth. But Forest fans in the Main Stand stood up repeatedly and for prolonged spells and were not asked to sit. So when Norwich fans were asked to sit, it felt unjust -- because it was unjust. Much more importantly, though, City were excellent. The defensive organisation yesterday was outstanding. Lambert deployed his usual midfield diamond, but when Forest had possession Wes was our first line of defence, harrying their deep-lying “quarter-back”. We kept our shape brilliantly but the midfield and back four shuffled over to wherever the threat was, so that we were pressing in packs. Brilliant. We’ll be all right in this division. OTBC[/quote]

But as Old Shuck has explained well, some people get so involved in the game and supporting their team they can`t really help it.  Many people still go to football to have a few beers (often quite a few...), have some banter with mates/other supporters and to find a release from a hard week at work in getting fully involved with cheering their boys on the pitch.  And alot of football supporters do have "limited vocabulary".  Welcome to the world of the working classes.......

Why exactly should their enjoyment be curtailed just because some people are hyper-sensitive to words which are evident in every aspect of daily life and even in the school yard?  It`s called being tolerant of people who are different to you.  Or does that only apply in some circumstances?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]This is one of those subjects, surely, where there is not a binary, he''s right/he''s wrong response to a thoughtful post. The respondents who have answered by swearing, albeit with asterisks, rather make CantonsHero''s point for him. My sons are both men now, but I started taking them to matches when the youngest was six (21 years ago). When you do take young children to football, you view the constant swearing very differently. And those sitting near kids ought to behave with a little restraint and decency. It''s not much to ask. Shouting and showing "passion" doesn''t have to involve swearing, unless you have a limited vocabulary. But -- and this is something that always gets my goat -- fans are entitled to expect stewards to have an equitable attitude: to deal with both sets of supporters in the same way. So, yes, the stewards at Forest yesterday were polite and not at all aggressive. One woman steward was very helpful to my wife at half-time. Compare and contrast with the jackbooted jobsworths at Southampton and Plymouth. But Forest fans in the Main Stand stood up repeatedly and for prolonged spells and were not asked to sit. So when Norwich fans were asked to sit, it felt unjust -- because it was unjust. Much more importantly, though, City were excellent. The defensive organisation yesterday was outstanding. Lambert deployed his usual midfield diamond, but when Forest had possession Wes was our first line of defence, harrying their deep-lying “quarter-back”. We kept our shape brilliantly but the midfield and back four shuffled over to wherever the threat was, so that we were pressing in packs. Brilliant. We’ll be all right in this division. OTBC[/quote]

But as Old Shuck has explained well, some people get so involved in the game and supporting their team they can`t really help it.  Many people still go to football to have a few beers (often quite a few...), have some banter with mates/other supporters and to find a release from a hard week at work in getting fully involved with cheering their boys on the pitch.  And alot of football supporters do have "limited vocabulary".  Welcome to the world of the working classes.......

Why exactly should their enjoyment be curtailed just because some people are hyper-sensitive to words which are evident in every aspect of daily life and even in the school yard?  It`s called being tolerant of people who are different to you.  Or does that only apply in some circumstances?

[/quote]The modern day Norwich supporter doesn''t understand this. After all you wouldn''t behave like that at the theatre would you? So just gently applaud and clap along to the goal music. Jolly good show chaps...

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Personally, when I rang the ticket office I wasn''t asked where I wanted to sit, and was just given seats.

I think a lot of us are spoiled by Carrow Road. The fact is there that for the most part the stands are so well structured that you have such a good view of the whole pitch, but at these other grounds it can be difficult.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday after about twenty minutes because the fans causing issues settled a bit, and then we had the injustice over going behind which kind of took over the feelings, but that initial period was summed up by requests to sit down being met by "Stand up if you hate the scum"; now I don''t know who that was about, but it''s immature. It was the first negative game experience I had since Exeter when my girlfriend got hit in the face by the ball, and the fans spent 90 minutes abusing our players. Since then it''s generally been pretty good including a highlight of the Walsall game where even though we were losing, Leeds were getting thrashed and everyone was joyous and well natured. And then we won, and everyone was laughing cause we''d been crap.

My post was really just a plee: They will let you stand up intermittintly; if you want to have a chant or see some exciting action, but if you are asked to sit down, go along with it; make their job easier will make our job eaasier.

See you at Deepdale.
[/quote]

At the Everton FA cup away game several years ago i had a bloke behind me who was continually moaning at me to sit down and called me "selfish" for standing up.  As it happened, everyone in my vicinity was happily standing and had i sat down i would have been unable to see anything.  The point is that the people who wanted to sit were way outnumbered by those who wanted to stand, so who exactly were the "selfish" ones?

As for me, i happily sit when the majority of people around me seem to want to sit, but happily stand when it`s the other way round.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="go donowa go"]passion is needed at football matches and from what I read on here there are far too many gimps complaining about swearing and confrontations with jobsworth stewards, who in my opinion home and away are a pain in the arse.If i pay the money to watch a game why should I be told to sit down and have to think what i''m doing all the time. And before anyone starts about not being able to see as a result of other people standing  then its simple go in the family stand or if not able bodied  then use the disabled facilities if not get down the gym and sort yourself out.This is football not tennis for f**kssake
[/quote]

I''m 5'' 1", I can''t see the pitch when some 22st 6 footer stands up in front of me. Can you explain how I can "sort myself out" an extra foot in height by going down the gym? It''s the likes of you who are spoiling football for the majority of us family fans. I hope the Club puts the prices up by a fiver a ticket to price you roughhouse oiks out of the ground.

[/quote]A fiver thats hardly going to stop these roughians going is it? Why not enforce a law in football saying only middle aged, Land Rover driving, middle and upper class families can attend? It would be great, You could spend the first half chatting about house prices, then onto the pitch at half time for a picic, Prawn sanwiches anyone? Second half discussion about how little tommy is exelling in his private education then Delias after the match for a 3 course meal and Champers! Hurrah! Did anyone happen to catch the score?

[quote user="Big Slob"]I stood the whole match, even though the stewards asked us to sit. It''s a football match for god sake, i don''t get why they make you sit? A guy 2 rows behind us had a go at us for standing, even though pretty much everyone towards the back was standing for the whole match. Surely by going to an away match if you want to sit you make sure you get seats at the front, or don''t go at all. I''m fed up of fellow supporters asking others to sit down. The atmosphere was much better when we were all standing. I appreciate some older supporters may not be able to stand for the duration, but surely ask for seats at the front not 5 rows from the back. He then questioned our support for the club, and told us that we should respect our elders. Absolute bullshit it''s got nothing to do with respect, and i sure didn''t see him at Blackburn on tuesday night, so much for loyal eh?
[/quote]

This typifies the new breed of Norwich fan. What an absolute cretin.

a - He uses bad language on a site that is frequented by minors.

b - He has no respect for his fellow fans.

c - He has no respect for stewards whos job btw is to ensure that everyone gets a good view of the match.

d - He is of the belief that if you dont go to a Carling Cup macth 250 miles away on a cold Tuesday night you are disloyal to the club.

Big slob, some people have jobs and families that wont allow them to go to every away match. Im guessing you have neither.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I`ve seen plenty of gigs where the seating areas are all up and dancing the whole time with no-one telling anybody to sit down.  If you`re short, it`s just one of those things i`m afraid.  Buy tickets at the front or sides of the stand.  Given that neither of our away games have sold out you should be able to move no problem anyway.