Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Predictions and line-ups V Charlton

hi all. Hopefully worthy has stepped up a gear this week and we will see a new improved team out there with crisp passes, speed and precision. Well maybe, anyway what are you predictions and chosen line ups for the match?

i would say.

Eddy  Fleming/Shackell  Charlton  Brennan

Jonson       Francis      Safri   
                                       Hux

Leon       Svensson

Subs: bentley, drury, shacks/flem, holt, McVeigh/Helveg/Ward/another i may have missed out

Mckenzie too score, cant think of the final score though

All in favour of crisp passes, speed and precision. But my line up would be: GreenEddy Fleming Shackell Charlton Bentley Francis Holt Brennan Svensson HucksSubs: Drury, Doc, Leon, Mullers, Ward

My line up assuming making up was not hard to do:

Green

Helveg  Fleming   Doherty   Charlton

Jonson  Francis  Safri   Bentley

Svensson   Huckerby

I would want to try the Doc at the back as he was bought as a defender and its time to put Charlton at FB where he used to play before Norwich. But both FBs need to be briefed to get forward, allowing Jonson and Bentley to push up a bit more and support the front two. Edworthy and Drury were two of the main culprits in my book for last Saturday''s debacle so I would rest them.

Subs: GK, Mulryne, McKenzie, Brennan, McVeigh, Holt

My line up would be

Green

Helveg Shackell Charlton Drury (only if fit)

Jonson Francis Mullers Bentley

Svensson Huckerby

Subs Ward, McVeigh, Fleming, Mackenzie, Jarvis

- a team full of class and ability to pass the ball with players in their preferred positions.

however I expect it to be

Green

Eddy Fleming Charlton Drury

Jonson Francis Holt Huckerby

Svenson Mackenzie

Subs Ward, Bentley, Helveg, McVeigh, Mulryne.

Yup - unchanged despite that performance.

If I could have just one change it would be Bentley back on the left with Hux returning up front

OTBC

Green

Helveg           Flemming        Shacks          Charlton

Jonson          Francis           Safri             Bentley

Sven             Hux

is what I would like to see, but as zipper said I doubt Nige will drop Eddy, Drury, Holt and Leon.

I''d love to see something a bit less orthodox, perhaps:

Green

Fleming   Charlton   Shackell

Helveg               Holt            Drury/Brennan

Francis

Bentley                          Huckerby

Svensson        

Subs: Mulryne, Drury/Brennan, Ward/Gallagher, Docherty and McKenzie. 

Can''t see it happening, but I think it offers a good balance between attacking and defending.

I would give Leon a rest...and give Bentley a go up front...lets see if he has learnt his lesson. He has the ability to frighten teams and score goals so lets try him up front with Svensson. I have a feeling it could work!

I''m with whoareyou? on this one - Bentley says his idol and the player he aspires to be like is Dennis Bergkamp, so let''s give him a go playing off Svensson - he has the ability to do some real damage there.

Yes, but Dennis Bergkamp can hit the back of the net and David Bentley is more likely to hit the scoreboard..........wasn''t it Bentley who tried 6 times against Villa including a volley from 8 yards in the final minutes and failed to get a single one on target?

i like the look of anderz line up.it does look like i could be pretty affective but i wud prefer to see leon upfront instead of svensson tho

Have a look at this idea...

Greeno Eddy Flem Charlton Drury

McVeigh Francis Mulryne Hucks Jonson McKenzieBench: Ward, Svenson, Crow, Helveg, BentleyMcVeigh is a good outlet on the right, Hucks pace down the left, Mullers creativity could be handy and Jonson could be quite dangerous up front.

The line up I''d like to see is

Green

Helveg Shackell Fleming Drury

Jonson Francis Safri  Huckerby

Bentley

Svennson

Subs.Ward, Charlton, Holt, Mulryne,  Mckenzie

I would even toy with swapping Mulryne for Bentley and playing an attacking 4-5-1 with Jonson + Huckerby both reverting to strikers where possible.

Sadly I think we can expect the same line-up with maybe 1 change.

Whatever the line up, you can''t drop Leon or Sven so that means Huckerby on the wing. If that''s the case I would only play Drury if fully fit and fill the rest of the midfield with defensively capable midfielders, e.g. Helveg, Francis and Safri perhaps. The back four were poor last week but I would be surprised if anything changed. To some extent it is less about the formation and more about attitude, when we believe, we pass and / or take on defenders when we do that well we score.

BWOD

rather than suggest a line up, lets consider who should be in and who could be in.

Certs are:-

Green Francis Edworthy Fleming Charlton Mckenzie Svenssen Huckerby

Thats 8 out of 11 starting line up.

Likelies are:-

Drury - but is he fully recovered?

Holt - biggest issue with fans regarding his distribution/positioning

Jonsson - hmmm, is he really cutting it yet, has had a long run

Maybe''s:-

Shackell - move over Charlton and introduce some pace and height at the back

Saffri - replacement for Holt??

Mullers - has had reserve run-outs - need to see if he''s got it.

Bentley - has been left out and had public reprimand - could do him good

Mcveigh - on his day .......

Personally, I think we''ve reason to be optimistic - lots of good options to choose from.

But think we''ll see last weeks 11!!

Too many people are not putting Svensson in their teams. Why? He''s obviously a skilful and inventive player, and we need him. Plus, Leon can''t seem to control a ball that is moving.My line-up is:GreenHelveg Doc Charlton DruryMcVeigh Safri Francis BentleySvensson Huckerby

So many people have given their opinion and I dont agree with anyone!!! (that I have noticed)

So here goes nothing

Greeno

Edworthy Fleming Shackell Charlton

Jonson Francis Safri Brenan

Sven Hucks

Subs Mulryne Holt Drury Mackenzie Ward

I think Drury is not properly fit thus vulnerable. Hucks is wasted out wide as it is too restrictive. Brenan would offer adequate defensive cover on the left and he can also cross the ball well. Mackenzie''s first touch is awfull. Jonson gets one last chance.

I realise this wont happen though.

I couldn''t care less who plays as long as we win. I''ve finally got tickets for a game and my girlfriend needs to see a win. We need a bit of luck - a penalty and an own goal would be perfect. Either that or we just play brillantly. Ok, then an own goal it is...

Bananaman: Thats well harsh on Leon, he''s much more of a threat than Svensson and I think his touch is good, Svensson''s not a bad player but he is a bit slow for this level.

All these people who are not including Drury in their starting line-up, this better be because of a doubt about his fitness and not just dropping him due to one bad game last week.

My team would be:

Greeno

Eddy Flem Charlton Drury

Bentley Mullers Francis Hucks

Leon Svensson

Subs:
Ward
Helveg
Safri
Doc
McVeigh

I would like to see Huckerby come in a bit from the wing. I don''t think him and McKenzie play particularly well together as they are so far apart all the time.

Svensson had a better game last week (and scored a goal!!) so I think he may appear in the starting line up.

I would definitely like to see what Mulryne has to offer and hope that Bentley may appear and do better than he has done lately.

All i hope for is 3 points!!

I think I agree with AyrtonT on this one, Nige will use the same 11 that played last Saturday much to the consternation of many fans who were there and many posters on this message board.

That said I''d like to think he would try a change, so......

Green

Edworthy    Fleming     Shackell     Charlton

Mulryne   Safri    Francis

Bentley      Huckerby

Svensson

Subs: Ward, Drury, McKenzie, Jonson, Helveg

Give Bentley and Huckerby license to roam in midfield but curb Francis''s inclination to go forward.

Just to add to this, I''ve been reading a Charlton fanzine that says they have been experimenting with different formations and line-ups over the past few weeks (sounds familiar!) and won away against Spurs trying 4-5-1. 

With the strong possibility of them using the same against us, as it was successful last time, would that change any of the formations (or line ups) you guys have suggested?  Would we be best playing 4-5-1 ourselves for a half, or even an hour or so, and then going more attacking in the latter stages if things are still level by then?  Just a thought! 

4-5-1 might be worth trying but we don''t have any obvious candidates to be the 1 apart from Huck who lacks the height for longer balls out of defence. We have been regulalrly swamped and outplayed in midfield which (a) puts huge pressure on the defence (not helped by them sitting too deep) and (b) the forwards have to feed off relatively meagre scraps.

The games or parts of games where we have done better have been where we have controlled midfield with largely Francis doing this on his own. So: control midfield and you control the game, and we need to consolidate there and stop handing the initiative to the other side. Personally i would favour it (but not against Saints who we desperately need to beat rather than frustrate).

4-5-1 is a good formation if you have the right players.

Have to say that Everton are really using it well. Worse, Bent up front is doing a good job supported by an ideally balanced midfield who can defend, graft and break quickly in support of an attack.

How about us? Personally, I am a great McKenzie fan and I see no reason why he couldn''t do just as good a job as Bent.

Its the midfield/wing-back area we struggle.

Francis is ideally placed with his game to be very effective.

How to properly accommodate Hux?

But what about Eddy and Drury?? Where/how do you play Bentley?

Players that could do well in there are Brennan on the left for sure, potentially Helveg on the right, Saffri central alongside Francis with Hux freer.

But .... just a dream. Same 11 on Saturday, just wait and see.

Would Sven have the pace? There''s a lot of ground to cover up there. Anyway I suppose  its all rather academic as I can''t see Worthy doing it.

I''d like to see....

Green

Eddy    Flem    Charlton    Drury

Jonson     Safri      Francis

Hucks

Sven   Leon

Bench: Ward, Doc, Helveg, Holt, Bentley  

2-0 Norwich win!

I be thought if Norwich will hope follow Crystal Palace.

So my Line-ups will be 4-4-2 Easy.

Green

Drury    Charlton    Fleming   Edworthy

Huckerby  Holt      Francis     Bentley

Sversson  McKenzie

So I think we will go for 2-1 to Norwich

Hope Huckerby will has goal 89 mins

So first goal will be McKenzie

Good to hear from you again Christopher - it seems a long time since you last visited these boards - I hope you are right with the result and we can all celebrate come 5pm.

If we are top play 4-5-1 we need a focal point who is mobile (Hux & Leon), strong in the air (Leon, Sven - just?!?) & able control the ball quickly (Hux & Sven). We simply do not have that combination with our current crop of strikers - they all have a different combination of 2 of the 3 three but on this occassion 2 out of three aint... good enough so I dont feel that 4-5-1 would work very for us.

I can see a 4-2-3-1 working though, as it uses our best players in prefered positions and focussing on organisation and crisp passing, with the following team,

Green
Helveg Shackell Charlton Drury
Francis Safri
Jonson Bentley Huckerby
Svenson

Subs Ward, Mullers, Mckenzie, Fleming, McVeigh

I currently prefer Svenson to Leon as although the latter has better energy and gets into goal scoring positions more frequently he is no more likely to score than Sven due to his poor touch, whereas at least Sven can bring players into the game well.

With Safri and Damo sitting deep (but not on our defenders toes for a change) we would have two hard working players who can harry defensivelty but also PASS the ball to Sven, or the other more attacking midfielders. Bentley, Jonson (in particular) and (ha) Hux can work defensively giving a 4-5-1 if needed but all have the pace to break quickly to give our attack the pace that Sven lacks. The middle three can develop an understanding that allows freedom of position on the park when going forward which makes it harder for the opposition to pick up runners.

In defence the full backs would not have to support so frequently allowing them focus on defending (remember how to do that Eddy) making Helvegs better positioning and passing to prevail over the energetic and more mobile but ineffective Eddy. Shackell is added to bring so aerial ability and improved passing skills while Charlton uses his experience to bring Shack on. Drury keeps his place as the best left sided defender.

The formation worked well for Portugal and Greece in the summer, enabling average teams with average players to come out on top through organisation and tactis alone.

A pipe dream I know but its my view of the team.

OTBC