Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Treatment of Certain Players...

I, like every Norwich fan, see Lambert as a god so don''t see this as a bitter attack but I am disgusted in the way Lambert treats certain players. We were warned by certain Colchester fans that he freezes out players completely but I waved this away as bitterness and didn''t at all expect this to be true. I am especially disgusted with the treatment of Askou and Hughes although they are not the only victims. Players like OTJ and Wiggins were frozen out of the side before being shipped out without being given a chance in matches (I know I don''t know what they were like in training but surely players need a chance).

A prime example of blatant ignorance of Hughes was on last tuesday where Lambert opted to play an out-of-position Matty Gill on the right of the diamond rather than giving Hughes his first appearance of the season even though he impressed in most games last year and at one point was indespensable. Hughes is too good of a player to not even be making the bench so if I were him I would look to move on to somewhere where he would be appreciated and even make the bench on league games.

Until his injury Askou was being tipped as one of most people''s favourites for POTS so why is it now he is at the bottom of the pecking order and players coming just days before are being selected over him, especially after putting in a good performance against Blackburn? He also is too good to find himself not playing regularly in a Championship club (although I''m not suggesting he should be playing ahead of Nelson or Ward but he should be playing ahead of a player who is still learning everyones names).

Sorry for this rant, but please don''t get me wrong I would never want Lambert to leave us it''s just that he needs to start giving players a fair chance.

If a player isn''t good enough to start, he won''t get a game.The above is down to Lambert''s opinion.Its probably best that you always start your best team (unless its a meaningless cup game)Thats about it really.[:)]

Am I missing something but I thought Lambert has just picked players he deems superior in each position?As far as I knew Askou & Hughes haven''t been frozen out but just found themselves down the pecking order.

You really think that Askou is ''too good to find himself not playing regularly in a Championship club''? On what evidence? Askou was solid enough in League One, but we''ve been promoted since then and I saw nothing to suggest he was much more than a solid defender with an enormous header, not massively comfortable with the ball at his feet and with no great pace. A decent League One defender, in other words.

As far as Barnett is concerned, what would be the point of getting him in on loan if he is not better than what we have? He''s played consistently in the Championship for a top Championship side, and has had the odd game in the Premier League. It stands to reason he''s a better player than JBA, and while he might be learning some players'' names, he''s not learning Ward''s, and that''s the most important one. Yes it''s a bit rough on JBA, but surely what''s right for City is the most important thing.

Not seen enough of Gill to comment, but am surprised if he''s in the pecking order about Hughes. Having said that, Hughes is now behind Fox and Surman in terms of the vaguely creative midfielder, so it''s difficult to see what he offers. Not sure why, but I assume he''s being paid more than Matty Gill, which might be one reason why Lambert might be keen to offload him.

Basically, the bottom line is that when you get promoted, some of the players who got you up become surplus to requirements, especially when the gap is as big as it is between League One and the Championship. It''s tough on JBA and Hughes, and I thought it was going to be very tough on Korey, but that''s the way it is.

I really don''t see that Lambert has frozen anyone out. If anything, it''s Gunn''s fault for spray-buying such an almighty load of turd last summer.

On the point of Askou he is not in the same league as Ward, Barnett,Whitbread or even Nelson. Lambert clearly feels that he''s not upto Championship football hence the decision to bring Barnett in and play him from the start. He could certainly do a good job in league 1 but anything more than that I''m not so sure.

On the matter of Hughes you''ve got a point, he''s certainly a good player and could do a job in the Champs, just so prone to injury though he reminds me alot of Chadwick skillful but fragile...! wouldn''t be suprised to see him move this year and from what I''ve heard on the sort of money he''s on would be a good move to replace him. 

To be honest, i don''t think there is much difference between this season and the beginning of last. It took Lambert 10 games to find what he thought was his best starting 11. This season we have 7 new players, of a quality thought to be better than what we had last season. surely it stands to reason that Lambert will use players of proven Championship ability first, get points on the board and then make changes if necessary.

There is also the fact that very few of us are privy to what goes on the training ground and the attitudes of players. It could very well be that one or another does not show the commitment of another, or that Lambert has explained his reasoning to the players concerned.

Human nature being human nature, if your left out with no explanation, in the days of delicate little ego''s that we have in football, this is no good for the players confidence and no good for team spirit.

Frozen out no, very quick learning curve to find our best 11, yes.

God give me strength.A team is picked to win a game based on a number of key criteria the manager sees fit to judge them on. If you are not in the team, it''s because you do not shape up, simple. Where has fairness ever been a judge in professional sport or, even business. Talent, skill, attitude, commitment, ability to play the role requested, all of these attributes pick a team.They all still get paid for this, its not like your Sunday morning team where you pay your subs and give someone a game because they turned up.We are getting results because of Lambert''s selection policy and tactics.Can we put an end to this as it is tiresome, listening to the holier than thou ''It''s not fair'' brigade.......................Train better, play better, then you may get a chance.

I don''t understand this. All the players have a contract and a salary and have to fight for a place in the team at Norwich.

Lambert decides who to play and who to leave out. Hughes/Askou haven''t been frozen out, they have both appeared this season and will be working hard on the training field to get in the team. I haven''t heard either of them moan about not getting in the team.

I don''t think Lambert has done too much wrong so far, has he? We have started reasonably well this year, so you dont change a team with confidence without a good reason.

To echo the posts above what a load of crap it is to talk about the "bad treatment" of players just because they don''t get in the team.

Ok the Gill selection in the cup was a weird one but maybe there was another reason behind it such as Lambo thinking Gill was best for the base of the diamond or even Lambo wanting to put Gill in the shop window.

However the rest of the time a manager will play the players he thinks are best. What do you want him to do play a few players that he thinks are not very good just to keep them happy? I like Askou. I think he is decent back up but frankly he was not 100% convincing at league 1 level (positioning is ropey) and I can see why Lambert might have some concerns about him in the champ. If Lambo does not think he''s good enough he won''t play him. If he does he will. Simple as that.

I think it is fair to say most players have been given a chance under Lambert if not all.

We have a squad bigger than the 18 you need on a match day so some players are going to be left out.  The 18 you pick on a match day are the players you think are going to give the team the best chance of a win.  If Lambert dosn''t think someone like Hughes or Gill are good enough to win Norwich the game then he won''t pick them.

Has Lambert done anything wrong?  No.  Simples.

Two issues here in my opinion

1) Lambert will (as already mentioned) pick the best team to win the game in HIS opinion. He''s the football manager, the guy paid to win games, the "expert".  We are supporters of the team, effectively back seat drivers who may think we know it all but we dont.  If we did, we''d be managing league teams too

2) Even if the OP IS correct and players are being frozen out, nothing is new there.  Anyone remember Mark Robins being shunted out of the club (there were a few rumours around this at the time) not to forget more recently the likes of Chris Martin, and even Doherty and Hoolahan.  Managers have their favourites, same as you - however they can pick their favourites to play.  You cant as youre not the "expert"

Dont particularly care who Lambert picks or shunts out of the club as long as we get decent results.  If that stops any time then his selections will come under scrutiny and may ultimately cost him his job, but at the moment we''re doing well

I think we should all remember what happened when "The Doc" was frozen out last season. Lambert told him that he didn''t feature in his future plans. Injuries saw Doc get another chance and he made it impossible for Lambert to drop him. Doc ended up close to being POTS and Lambert publicly ate his words saying something like "shows what I know!"

Doc must have shown a first class attitude in training for this to happen and what happened between him and Lambert last season is proof enough to any player that under Lambert there is a way back.

I see WBA have just signed two central defenders - Scharner and Dawson. Adds to the idea that Barnett, if we want him, might be available on a permanent deal.

So the op does not beleive in the team beng strengthened. Did not see any clubs saying wow Askou is out of favour with Norwich this is our big chance to grab a Championship quality centre half. We will never know what would have had happened had Askou played on Saturday but my guess would be a mauling by Earnshaw and Blackstock. O well who cares about the result as long as we dont upset certain players such as Askou and Holt.

Surely getting frozen out is not getting picked in matchday squads and being made to train with the youngsters !

Well I don''t know about you lot, but vs Barnsley Id like to see :Oli JohnsonStephan HughesOTJMatty GillJens AskouDeclan RuddAll in the starting line up, I think they should replaceGrant Holt, Wes , Crofts , Surman, Ward , RuddyMy reasoning for this is because I would rather them get their go and "fair" shot in the first team than have the 3 points against Barnsley !Regardless of the game we have to remember !! We are a friendly club and our aim is not to win or gain promotion or ensure we stay up this season !! It is infact to have a lovely dressing room atmosphere and a "nice" club feel.I even think we should employ Bruce Forsyth to come to the club, that way after every game he can step out on the field with a mic and should " Didnt they do well !!! " and then we can all aplaude while Lambert decides who''s turn it is next week.We could even have a ritualistic team bonding game of Rock paper Scissors if 2 of the chaps have been sitting out for to long ! :) :)

God... give me strength.... what ever dribble will people come up with on here next ???

Right thats it, sack Lambert! Crofts'' Number 1 Fan is clearly way more worthy to select the right team. What were we thinking praising Lambert when this guy is waiting in the wings? God I feel so stupid!!!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Well I don''t know about you lot, but vs Barnsley Id like to see :

Oli Johnson
Stephan Hughes
OTJ
Matty Gill
Jens Askou
Declan Rudd

All in the starting line up, I think they should replace

Grant Holt, Wes , Crofts , Surman, Ward , Ruddy

My reasoning for this is because I would rather them get their go and "fair" shot in the first team than have the 3 points against Barnsley !

Regardless of the game we have to remember !! We are a friendly club and our aim is not to win or gain promotion or ensure we stay up this season !! It is infact to have a lovely dressing room atmosphere and a "nice" club feel.
I even think we should employ Bruce Forsyth to come to the club, that way after every game he can step out on the field with a mic and should " Didnt they do well !!! " and then we can all aplaude while Lambert decides who''s turn it is next week.
We could even have a ritualistic team bonding game of Rock paper Scissors if 2 of the chaps have been sitting out for to long ! :) :)

God... give me strength.... what ever dribble will people come up with on here next ???
[/quote]

LOL Spot on Nexus - I hear we were about to sign David Villa today but there was a mass protest by fans outside Carrow Rd and Colney as this would have meant Holt possibly being left out to accomodate. There are very few players, the likes of Messi being an example that there is not somebody you could sign that would be better and even he will have his sell by date.   

On a serious note...Hark back to last season when Dobin was told to sling his hook.Now I was never a fan of Ginger Pele, infact I hated him but I will be the first person to tip my hate and say that he was in awesome form for us on his return last season. Harsh as it might sound though he was not of the right calibre even if perhaps based on performance he did deserve a new contract.Now, if but one of these so called "frozen" players can get the fire lit under thier asses and pull out some top draw performances to remind us and Lambo why they are on our team sheet then I see it as a good thing.

Well I see everyone has responded to this with exactly what it deserves. A ridiculous op.

[quote user="thirdlion v2"]Well I see everyone has responded to this with exactly what it deserves. A ridiculous op.[/quote]Ridiculous and whiney...don''t forget whiney!

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

I, like every Norwich fan, see Lambert as a god so don''t see this as a bitter attack but I am disgusted in the way Lambert treats certain players. We were warned by certain Colchester fans that he freezes out players completely but I waved this away as bitterness and didn''t at all expect this to be true. I am especially disgusted with the treatment of Askou and Hughes although they are not the only victims. Players like OTJ and Wiggins were frozen out of the side before being shipped out without being given a chance in matches (I know I don''t know what they were like in training but surely players need a chance).

A prime example of blatant ignorance of Hughes was on last tuesday where Lambert opted to play an out-of-position Matty Gill on the right of the diamond rather than giving Hughes his first appearance of the season even though he impressed in most games last year and at one point was indespensable. Hughes is too good of a player to not even be making the bench so if I were him I would look to move on to somewhere where he would be appreciated and even make the bench on league games.

Until his injury Askou was being tipped as one of most people''s favourites for POTS so why is it now he is at the bottom of the pecking order and players coming just days before are being selected over him, especially after putting in a good performance against Blackburn? He also is too good to find himself not playing regularly in a Championship club (although I''m not suggesting he should be playing ahead of Nelson or Ward but he should be playing ahead of a player who is still learning everyones names).

Sorry for this rant, but please don''t get me wrong I would never want Lambert to leave us it''s just that he needs to start giving players a fair chance.

[/quote]What a bizarre post.  Lambert works with the squad every day in training and will pick his best team from that squad.  It''s not some kind of communist society where everyone gets a turn in the team once a month to keep the players happy.Askou was miles from POTS.

Reading some of the recent threads on this general subject I''ve begun to seriously wonder whether I''ve moved into some sort of parallel universe where Jens Bertel-Askou is the bastard lovechild of Franz Beckenbauer and Franco Baresi. He did a decent job before his injury but never looked like anything other than a hard tackling stopper who was always willing but never exhibited anything that could remotely described as flair, and has never played at Championship level. His near miss for POTS ( he was injured for over half of it for god''s sake!) also seems to have passed me by!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Am I missing something but I thought Lambert has just picked players he deems superior in each position?

As far as I knew Askou & Hughes haven''t been frozen out but just found themselves down the pecking order.
[/quote]

Agree i don''t see it as freezing out, but surely if there is someone better...the best player in every position plays/starts?

I thought Askow was one of our best players in first 4/5 months of last season, whether they don''t train hard enough, lost it, or never had it - I''ll go with Sir Paul''s / St Paul''s opinion on who should play

[quote user="Beauseant"]Reading some of the recent threads on this general subject I''ve begun to seriously wonder whether I''ve moved into some sort of parallel universe where Jens Bertel-Askou is the bastard lovechild of Franz Beckenbauer and Franco Baresi. He did a decent job before his injury but never looked like anything other than a hard tackling stopper who was always willing but never exhibited anything that could remotely described as flair, and has never played at Championship level. His near miss for POTS ( he was injured for over half of it for god''s sake!) also seems to have passed me by![/quote]

Come on Beaus don''t let the truth stand in the way of the original posters whinge.

Some aggrieved Colchester fans said it was true so surely it must be. [:S]

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

[/quote]Sounds bitter to me fella.

Certain players get more undeserved attention than others.

I fully believe some fans love Jens Berthel Askou because he''s got a strange name. Unlike Leon Barnett which is quite a plain name.

It''s happened all along the times I''ve supported Norwich, Dave Strihavka got undeserved credit because of his ''exotic'' surname.

When we people learn that the manager will pick the best team based on performance and fitness? And I mean a good manager like Lambert not a manager like Roeder who had his favourites (Mark Fotheringham)

Well now, that''s an interesting theory but doesn''t explain why posters on here wanted Rossi Jarvis to play instead of Dickson Etuhu. I think sometimes you have to accept that they''re plain daft[:O]

[;)]