Sign in to follow this  
Chris.

Surman.

Does everybody who was there today agree that he really came out of his shell today ? Thought he looked very lively !!

I''m hoping he will get this run of games and then he will find the spaces available to him to execute some killer passes. He is another attacking outlet and will be as influential as Hoolahan in time I believe.

Thought he was our best player today. Showed real class and awareness, and could pick a good pass. Finally I know what type of player he is after 4 games! If he continues like that, I''ll be very happy!

Now that we''ve seen him play a few games what are people''s opinion of him or is the jury still out?

He''s got great vision, and really can pick a pass or through ball (For Holt, when Camp saved) he''s also very good in possession, he very rarely loses the ball. He''s also got a great delivery on him from set plays. The only thing i think he could bring into his game is taking his man on, he doesn''t ever seem to try and beat the right back. But other than that he''s improving all the time and certainly getting fitter.

Another thing is that he and Drury seemed to have developed a good partnership already. We absolutely tore Forest to shreds down the left hand side on Saturday.

I think he looks a really classy player.  Good on the ball and sees the game well, plus is a threat going forward.

Would like to see him score a few more, remember him scoring a few crackers for Saints so hopefully this will come.

I am not convinced that the diamond is the best shape for him but think he will be one of our most important players this season.

[quote user="rjwc22"]I am not convinced that the diamond is the best shape for him but think he will be one of our most important players this season.[/quote]

I slightly disagree with this point. I think the diamond with Drury  overlappign suits Surman''s skill set. He''s a creative force who doesn''t have the pace to beat a man regularly. When you can''t beat a man with your own pace or trickery beating them with a pass either on the outside to the overlapping full back or on the inside to someone like Hoolahan or Martin works just as well. The diamond also brings him more central giving him a greater influecne in controlling the game.

Davo

He''s a very classy player. Technically excellent with good passing and vision. Negatives are he''s a little lightweight and can drift out of games but with every game seems to be getting a bit stronger and more influential.

Was a big signing for us and showed our intent to progress. Surman is a player whose future lies at the very least at the top of the Championship and could be Premiership. After years of downgrading signings like this show ambition for the first time since....

shhh nutty[;)]

Davo, I know what you are saying but think that he would be better in a Lampard style central role.  Think with Wes in front and knowing his remit, he too often looks for a pass forward rather than taking on his man and going for goal.

Great player though, best permanent signing I have seen us make since Ashton.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Was a big signing for us and showed our intent to progress. Surman is a player whose future lies at the very least at the top of the Championship and could be Premiership. After years of downgrading signings like this show ambition for the first time since....

shhh nutty[;)]

[/quote]

Yeah he is a real class player, and although he came in early summer he still needs time to settle in to his new club [y]

I think that Surman has real quality, and caused Forest all sorts of problems on Saturday. His ability to link up with Drury and Wes on the left should result in a good source of decent delivery from that side. I was also impressed by how hard he worked on Saturday, and I think he will only get better as his confidence grows. However, for me, the best signing so far has been Crofts.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I think that Surman has real quality, and caused Forest all sorts of problems on Saturday. His ability to link up with Drury and Wes on the left should result in a good source of decent delivery from that side. I was also impressed by how hard he worked on Saturday, and I think he will only get better as his confidence grows. However, for me, the best signing so far has been Crofts.

[/quote]

Crofts will be everyones favourite signing so far as he scored twice and seems to be a real worker. Surman is more of a footballer and will soon link very well with hooly as they both like to play the ball on the deck [y]

Interesting views, I agree he likes to play the ball on the deck and is good at picking people out but I didn''t personally think he shone at Forest plus does anyone think he pulls out of tackles or is that my imagination??

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Davo, I know what you are saying but think that he would be better in a Lampard style central role.  Think with Wes in front and knowing his remit, he too often looks for a pass forward rather than taking on his man and going for goal.

Great player though, best permanent signing I have seen us make since Ashton.

[/quote]

I know what you are saying about playing him in a Lampard style central role but I don''t think he is quite strong enough for that.  Inside left, which is where he plays in the diamond, is his best position in my opinion.  He is not a winger, not a centre mid and not like Hoolahan, inside left is perfect for him.

Looks very short of confidence to me, he has the skills to beat players and create but doesnt seem to want to. He showed this Saturday, when he cut into the box and had a real chance to shoot on his right and win it late on, but squared it too far in front of Martin.

I think he will come good, but I dont believe the diamond suits him. Too much pressure to defend and not enough licence to attack.

Something along the lines of;

Andrew Surman Prince of Spain,

Prince of Spain, Prince of Spain

Andrew Surman Prince of Spain,

He''s half Spanish.

Surman IMO is the most talented player we have. Give him a few more games to bed in and he''ll be a real crowd pleaser.

CDMullins wrote: "Looks very short of confidence to me, he has the skills to beat players and create but doesnt seem to want to. He showed this Saturday, when he cut into the box and had a real chance to shoot on his right and win it late on, but squared it too far in front of Martin."

I get confused by your posts at times. The piece of skill he did to cut inside was pure class. He knew he wasn''t going to beat the full back on the outside and the touch he that bought him inside was so sublime it foxed the defender so he could cross with his weaker right foot.

To beat a player you don''t always have to use pace on the outside. You can use sublime skill to come inside too. Granted the pass was off but that move showed both skill and creativity, it was just lacking a slightly better pass.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]CDMullins wrote: "Looks very short of confidence to me, he has the skills to beat players and create but doesnt seem to want to. He showed this Saturday, when he cut into the box and had a real chance to shoot on his right and win it late on, but squared it too far in front of Martin."

I get confused by your posts at times. The piece of skill he did to cut inside was pure class. He knew he wasn''t going to beat the full back on the outside and the touch he that bought him inside was so sublime it foxed the defender so he could cross with his weaker right foot.

To beat a player you don''t always have to use pace on the outside. You can use sublime skill to come inside too. Granted the pass was off but that move showed both skill and creativity, it was just lacking a slightly better pass.

Davo[/quote]

Or lacking confidence to shoot, he had done the hard work, used a beautiful bit of skill to come inside. Any confident attacking midfielder would be shooting from there!