Sign in to follow this  
Minster Canary

Michael Kightly & the 25-man squad rule

I bring his name up because he has been left out of Wolves'' 25-man squad for this season - and is just one of the many players of his calibre who are likely to be loaned to Championship clubs to get some game time. I believe the squad lists are announced at 5pm this evening so there will be many more interesting names left out, and no doubt Lambert will be sniffing around to see what he can pick up when the loan market opens next week.

Are there any names you can think of that you''d like here on loan from the Premiership? I know it''s a route we have previously gone down where it hasn''t worked but that was clearly excessive use, I think if Lambert does what Worthy did in the 2003/04 season and pick up a Darren Huckerby or a Peter Crouch we may see similar successes...

I''d help pay for it myself to bring him here.  A wonderful player.  Only hesitation would be the impact his repeated injuries may have had on his game. 

This is an interesting point. I''m looking forward to seeing who might be available and whter he can do waht worty did and bring in a player or two who could take us to that next level. It''s just time to wait and see which players will become available and whether any of them interest Lambert.

Davo

Players like Kightly and Kelvin Etuhu could make a real difference to a championship side.

That said I do not think there are going to be as many big names available as people think and the ones that are will go to the lower end Prem sides.  All youngsters under 21 (I think) are outside the rules so not sure that it will make someone like Boyate any more likely to head out on loan.

A fair and logical point - D''oh!

Not sure finances are ever going to bite the Prem teams until they let someone like Pompey go under.

If we do get a prem player on loan, there is more chance we will be able to sign him up on a full time contract, as the prem boys will be getting in more players in january. Kightly is a very talented player and if we could secure his services on loan or full time him and surman would work well together maybe and this would certainly help!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]could this mean that classier players now drop down the divisions permanently to look for football?
[/quote]

basically.....yeah [y]

"jas the barclay king" could this mean that classier players now drop down the divisions permanently to look for football?

No - not as long as the big boys can get lower clubs to give their players games to either prove how good they are or to increase their value or get them partially off their wage bill.

The 25 man list should be increased to 30 BUT clubs should not be able to hold the registration of more than 30 - then you would see movement of better players to the lower divisions.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I was under the impression Kightly wasn''t included because he is injured?[/quote]He is.... Currently....Mick McCarthy has said he wants to loan him out as soon as he''s back to fitness. I''d assume he will go on loan to a championship team til January, then be included into the Wolves squad, if he''s impressed.

Unfortunately, I think Kightly will more than likely move to one of the top teams in the Championship, and surely one that plays with wingers.

There''s going to be loads of premier players going on loan or kicking their heels until Jan then?

It may eventually lead to better quality players filtering down the leagues and perhaps some lowering their wage demands to get regular football.

You would think that the best players who can''t get into the 25 man squads in the Prem will go to the richest clubs in the Championship or some may even look to Rangers and Celtic. 

It may also mean in the future that Prem clubs think twice before signing every Tom, Dick and Harry who shows a bit of promise and also that some players think twice before rushing off to a Prem club.

I wonder how many fill fall down and how many will actually end up moving back abroad in the end.

I think we will see some players move down a league in the short term but I think a lot of the foreign players may end up moving back to the continent in the longer term when the transfer windows allow.

Davo

Not many players will move permantly with the present loan system as it is. The players will merely be loaned to lower clubs and be at the beck and call of their parent clubs if they are needed or if they have an upturn in form.

The only way forward is not a listed squad of 25 but a limit of 30 registered players (to allow for long term injuries) per club.

Then lower clubs would stand a chance of picking up better players and developing their team knowing that they could plan for the future and not just for the length of the loans.

Agree with the above Yellow Wall, just to add that the qualification for the home grown status is a joke, this needs to be purely British born players who come through academies of their country.This will upset Wenger, so has to be worth it! [;)]