Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Sing 'On The Ball' Slower PLEASE!.

Now, because City''s game was postponed today, and being somewhat at a loss, I played some DVD city memories. I was filling up with pride and not a few tears I can tell you just listening to ''On the Ball'' being sung correctly.

Now I''m sure the older fans will agree with me on this, back in the late fifties and sixties ''On the ball city'' was sung at a much, much slower pace. Result: a spine tingleing anthem, which inspired the team and made the opposition quake. Today after the ''kick off'' intro it seems it ca''nt be sung quick enough to reach the city, city, city sedgment.

For Gawds sake SLOW DOWN!. practice before the game and then scare the life out of the Baggies with the sheer emotion and power of it. think also what it will sound like to all the Sky viewers. Its unique, treat it with respect, its not a bloody pop song you know, so sing it loud and slow all the way to the premiership.

I couldn''t agree more, but it wasn''t just the 50''s and 60''s, the proper style of singing it carried on way beyond that. I notice nobody is capable of singing ''scrimmage'' either, apparently we play rugby now!

So what can we do about it? Perhaps we can get Mr Noisy PA announcer to teach people to sing it at the right pace, we ought to be able to hear him. Which brings me to another point. Why do we have to have wall to wall music and announcements right up to the kick-off, it stops any build-up of real atmosphere in the ground, and as for that music that gets played when we score and makes everyone jump around like muppets.... just let us get on with celebrating in our own way.

Whinge over.

"ON THE BALL SLOWER PLEASE! NEVER MIND THE DANGER!"

"NOPE!" Unfortunately Guy''s, just hasn''t quite got the flow of the original.....

"Sorry 1st Wiz, I just couldn''t resist it!" But I do agree about the urgency of the singing.

I''ve been going since 1963 and it never been sung any different .... maybe your DVD player needs replacing.

So no, I wont sing it slower.

Its not my machine T07, its my memory of the passion, I feel sorry for you if you don''t know what I''m talking about here because 30.000 others do!, and I was there in 63'' also, so may I suggest you have either a serious hearing problem, or have had an emotional bypass!. Maybe an attention span of a drunken newt slung in for good measure as well.

For everyone else think ''Sweet Chariot'' thats about the pace I''m talking about, not ''Bat out of hell'' by Meatloaf.

The problem is not that it''s being sung too slow, it''s that the singing starts off too high so that by the time the crowd get to the chorus it''s way too high for most peoples'' vocal range, and so the song just fizzles out.
Now if The Darkness really do do a version, maybe we can all sing along with that.

PS. T07, I stated going in 1957, so don''t tell ME what it was or was''nt like, all four sides of Carrow Road singing in unison. You will never get the rest of the crowd singing with you at the pace its sung at today, perhaps thats what you want really?.

I started going regually around about 63/64 and was among the many who moved from the south stand to the barclay and we then became known as the barclay boys. and it was a lot slower and clearer......and if the main (City stand) didn''t like something they threw their little cushions on the pitch and some of them even sang along

The most impressive and intimidating support which came from the old Main Stand was when everybody stamped their feet on the wooden floor. It sounded like thunder and must have un-nerved some visiting players. And a big shower of cushions was a sight to behold!

Ahh, the sound of thunder coming from the main stand, all those cushions being thrown on the pitch... happy days indeed. But your''re right: ''On the ball City'' is a tremendously stirring anthem and should be sung with reverence, emotion and respect, not at today''s break-neck speed. Strewth, what a reactionary I have become...

I can remember when I sat with my Dad in the main stand and If Norwich lost those cushions would be thrown onto the pitch.Used to really make me laugh then and the remonder of the cushion days on here has brought back all sort of memories.