Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

OT - Clingan not happy

I dont begrudge Clingan, thought he was one of few players who came out with credibility after our relegation season

I remember thinking at the time I thought Clinghan was our player of the season and was far superior than Lee Croft imo (i Personally didn''t think much of him, despite him being the one to win it!)

Whether Id take him back now though, maybe not, im more than happy with the players we''ve got in now and dont think hes needed, I certainly rate him though, thought he always gave 100% and in that awful season was a good thing to see

[quote user="Lambo"]Yeah Etuhu''s done so bad for himself since leaving. A spell in league one or the europa league final?? He royally screwed up didn''t he?[/quote]Took his goal really well at the weekend, I would be extremely worried if I were unfortunate enough to be a Blackpool fan, as our ould pal Dickson isn''t exactly fast and he left them for dead running onto that ball...

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]I dont begrudge Clingan, thought he was one of few players who came out with credibility after our relegation season

I remember thinking at the time I thought Clinghan was our player of the season and was far superior than Lee Croft imo (i Personally didn''t think much of him, despite him being the one to win it!)

Whether Id take him back now though, maybe not, im more than happy with the players we''ve got in now and dont think hes needed, I certainly rate him though, thought he always gave 100% and in that awful season was a good thing to see[/quote]Lee croft = most disappointing recipient of a player of the season award in my memory. Idiot. Stupid, fat headed idiot.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Ah didums.

The bugger couldn''t wait to jump ship when we went down, sod him.

[/quote]Agree with Wiz on this one

[quote user="Lambo"]Yeah Etuhu''s done so bad for himself since leaving. A spell in league one or the europa league final?? He royally screwed up didn''t he?[/quote]Still a f***** ars* hole though!

Clingan is clearly not a league one player. He has potential to perform at the top level imo. I would be over the moon if he made a return, and he would jump straight into my starting line up.

Am with wiz on this one.  

His inability to track midfield runners was one of  the key reasons why we conceeded disproportionately so many goals to midfielders in our relegation season.   He looked composed (a strutting peacock)  but was not a good protective shield and taking away set piece goals offered little going forward either.  Even at coventry it is noticeable how late he is at arriving in his own box to defend as an opposing midfielder scores - brilliant defensive midfield play.

He offered little,  jump as soon as he could and we have a better midfield now - so why woudl we wnat him back?  

As much as I liked Clingan this probably shows how much we have moved on and improved. Would you really bring him back in place of Crofts, Smith or Surman and really be 100% certain that he would improve anything ? To me it shows that our best player in the dark days may not even get in the team now or at least would be given a run for his money by all 3 of them ( 4 if you add Hoolahan )  . In the dark days we did not have any players in the same league as Clingan. 

[quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"]I dont begrudge Clingan, thought he was one of few players who came out with credibility after our relegation season I remember thinking at the time I thought Clinghan was our player of the season and was far superior than Lee Croft imo (i Personally didn''t think much of him, despite him being the one to win it!) Whether Id take him back now though, maybe not, im more than happy with the players we''ve got in now and dont think hes needed, I certainly rate him though, thought he always gave 100% and in that awful season was a good thing to see[/quote]

Lee croft = most disappointing recipient of a player of the season award in my memory. Idiot. Stupid, fat headed idiot.
[/quote]

Who voted for Lee Croft?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I think Clingan''s level is league two at the most[/quote]

So that is why he was our most consistent performer throughout 08/09 and kept his place in the side all year round!

Some people [8-)]

[quote user="Delia Out"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I think Clingan''s level is league two at the most[/quote]

So that is why he was our most consistent performer throughout 08/09 and kept his place in the side all year round!

Some people [8-)]

[/quote]

Didn''t track back, poor positionally, gave the ball away. 

As others have said he wouldn''t get in our side now. That says a lot for me about how far we have come under Lambert. In that relegation season Clingan was the first name of the team sheet for me.

Ultimately he left, because we went down, obviously, and that''s not what we want.. we want a bit of loyalty, like Drury. He was never gonna reach the prem with Coventry. He would have been better off staying with us.

I also don''t think he would make it in our team now. With Fox, Crofts, Surman, Korey, Lapps, Hughes and Wes we''re covered and wouldn''t need him.

His main attribute is his free-kicks.. but with Surman delivering and Chrissy hittin them we don''t need anyone else for that.

So as much as i like him as a player, i dont think he would make as big an impact here as he did his first season.