Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

The Treatment of Jens Berthel Askou

[quote user="Canary Boy"][quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"][quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]

Listen here cuntybollocks, nobody here knows what goes down behind the scenes and in training, least of all you with your wankerty, immature avatar, so wind your neck in.The only mistake Lambo may rue later on is his failure to add pace to the squad.[/quote]Been around a lot longer that you, you cocky little upstart."nobody here knows what goes down behind the scenes and in training"...didn''t I say that?[/quote]

Cocky little upstart? I''m an incredibly sapient 49 year old who''s knowledge of football is superior to most here, and what''s with the been here longer than me bollox? Are you referring to the length of time you''ve been using this message board? If so, would you care to explain how or why the duration of a posters time here makes any difference? Are you seriously suggesting that a poster who registered here earlier than another has some kind of higher status and that their opinions are more valid?Well, it looks like you can shove your opinions within this thread where the sun doesn''t shine, ''cause you''ve been proven wrong.

Twot-features.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.

It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?

By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.

I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).

However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.
[/quote]So you are questioning Lambert!

Heritec.

[/quote]

Are people on this message board no longer allowed to question the manager''s decisions?

[/quote]

When and if it goes wronge then we will all have questions, but untill then In Lambert I trust

[/quote]

I trust in him too, but the idea that his decisions can''t be discussed without accusations of "Herisy" (sic) is childish at best.

[/quote]Blasphemer!

Stone him I say.

[quote user="Lambert is King"] If it works out and we are challengeing in January then it also gives us the option to find £2m in January to sign him.   [/quote]Dont think it will cost £2m to sign him.  He is three years into a four year contract (with WBA having the option of another year).

Askou seemed to be cut an awful lot of slack by some fans in the early part of last season just for not being Gary Doherty. Plus the fact that, as a player who the vast majority had never seen before, we had no preconceptions about how good/bad he was. He looked a solid, if a little limited, centre back in the games that I saw him play last season. But because he didn''t play in the 7-1 opening day defeat like Nelson and he lacked the overall gingerness and "Doesn''t he give away thousands of free-kicks and penalties by wrestling centre forwards"ness of Doherty his actual abilities seem to have become vastly inflated by some.I don''t think PL should be above criticism if somebody thinks he''s made a mistake, all this ''In Lambert We Trust'' stuff is starting to sound like some weird religious cult, but he obviously feels JBA is decent enough as back up but not good enough to start. Until there is proof that he''s got that decision wrong we should probably stop looking for excuses to moan.

that shows how far we have come. last season Askou was probably our best defender and he wasnt that good.

now he is an ok defender who can do a job when needed.

Regardless of Askou''s form we needed a new centre back to cover for the injuries to Nelson and Whitbread. From that point onwards it is up to Lambert to pick the player who he believes will do the best job. If Barnett outperforms Askou in training and matches then fair enough.

[quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"][quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.

It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?

By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.

I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).

However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.
[/quote]

Listen here cuntybollocks, nobody here knows what goes down behind the scenes and in training, least of all you with your wankerty, immature avatar, so wind your neck in.

The only mistake Lambo may rue later on is his failure to add pace to the squad.
[/quote]

What a well thought out reply this is..........why bother?

[quote user="Shyster"]Cocky little upstart? I''m an incredibly sapient 49 year old who''s knowledge of football is superior to most here, and what''s with the been here longer than me bollox? Are you referring to the length of time you''ve been using this message board? If so, would you care to explain how or why the duration of a posters time here makes any difference? Are you seriously suggesting that a poster who registered here earlier than another has some kind of higher status and that their opinions are more valid?Well, it looks like you can shove your opinions within this thread where the sun doesn''t shine, ''cause you''ve been proven wrong.

Twot-features.[/quote]I''m afraid your language and attitude on this occasion suggest you''ve added a few extra years for effect. I''d attribute that kind of behaviour more to a boy in his mid teens.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Disagree!

Askou was very good in the 1st half of the season till he got that foot injury at Yeovil. He hardly had anymore chances after that, enevitably got rusty and then when he had a few games struggled as a result!

[/quote]

Agree with this. Although Nelson is good at the nuts and bolts (the physical side of the game, getting a foot/head in where it matters), Askou looked a far more accomplished footballer to me. From what''s happened with Barnett coming in, I''d imagine PL thinks it would be more of a gamble to throw Jens in now having missed so long through injury, so he''s been a victim of circumstance rather than there being some kind of agenda against him as the OP implied. It''s harsh on him, but in Ward and Barnett we have two centre halves with plenty of experience at this level. In Lambert we trust.

[quote user="Coelho"]

Agree with this. Although Nelson is good at the nuts and bolts (the physical side of the game, getting a foot/head in where it matters), Askou looked a far more accomplished footballer to me.

[/quote]

"A far more accomplished footballer"

Really?

I don''t think Jens has ever shown anything to suggest he fits that description.

I think that''s how you''d like to see him but I don''t think that reflects the reality of how he plays the game.

[quote user="Davo"]

[quote user="Carra_Rud"]I disagree. Askou is nothing more than an ok defender.Lambert obviously feels the same way as me.[/quote]

Wrong. Nothing is obvious about the way Lambert feels about players. His attitude is you come in and do well and you will keep your place in the team. Askou was unlucky and got injured. Nelson came in and did well enough to keep his place. If Askou get his chance and plays well then Nelson will have to wait until Askou either plays badly or gets injured.

Davo

[/quote]Not true of all players. Holt has always come straight back into the team after being out even though its arguable those replacing him did well, scored goals etc.This season with more of ''Lamberts players'' i think a lot more players when coming back from injury/suspension would expect their place back no matter how their replacements have played. If fit and not suspended i would expect to see Ward, Drury, R.Martin, Crofts, Surman, Hoolahan, Holt and C.Martin all return straight to the team no matter how well Askou, S.Smith, Francomb, Lappin, McNamee, Jackson or Johnson had covered for them. I like the battle between K.Smith and Fox to start at the moment with Korey definately deserving his starting place for now. Moving Crofts from right mid to the base seems to show his importance to Lamberts plans (and his performaces have all been very solid). Imo Surman looks fantastic, i see very different opinions of him on here but i think he has looked a class above when on the ball, delivering crosses and set pieces. He has got involved tracking back more than i thought he would too (That text on canary call about why are we wasting talent like Lappin on the bench was laughable).I also liked the fact Nelson was making his way up the ''first on the teamsheet'' list before he got injured. Cant fault his performances so far, knows his job and has done it impeccably. Limited player maybe but with Ward was striking up a well balanced, effective partnership. Real shame hes injured and will be very interesting what Lambert will do when hes fit again (though how long that will be is also very interesting!).So yes Lambert has seemed to reward playing well with a starting place last season however i think his starting 11 is beginning to look pretty set for this season with only a couple of places being fought for with any real chance of changes. Last season not much to choose between Doc, Nelson, Askou so it was all about the performance when they got the chance. This season Ward-very experienced, more than confident enough of himself to shake off a nervy start, should always be pretty certain of his place, Surman simply looks a league, if not two leagues better than Lappin and so on... Id have liked to have seen the battle between Russell and Crofts/Fox/K.Smith for a start but with Russell gone the only dilemma is Smith/Fox and where to play Crofts.If Askou cant get ahead of Nelson, its no surprise Lamberts brought someone in on loan and that they''re ahead of Askou too. For me i never actually saw that much of Askou to say hes any better than Nelson/Doc so it is all down to ''In Lambert i trust'' and obviously what hes seen is not enough even to cover for Nelson when injured.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Coelho"]

Agree with this. Although Nelson is good at the nuts and bolts (the physical side of the game, getting a foot/head in where it matters), Askou looked a far more accomplished footballer to me.

[/quote]

"A far more accomplished footballer"

Really?

I don''t think Jens has ever shown anything to suggest he fits that description.

I think that''s how you''d like to see him but I don''t think that reflects the reality of how he plays the game.

[/quote]

I''d have to agree with this. Jens proved himself to be a good "stopper", and was more mobile than Nelson (although, like many posters, I felt that the latter had improved considerably during his long run in the side) but wasn''t exactly convincing on the ball. In the Championship you need defenders who can play from the back which Ward, Whitbread and Barnett can, hence their seniority to Jens in the pecking order.

Paul Lambert is paid to make decisions on team selection, purchases et al, with the aim of winning football matches.I cannot see that by not picking a player is in any way poor treatment, he sees him everyday and is a far better judge of whether this player can do the job required for the team, clearly he does not feel that way. Results indicate he is right.Don''t understand the issue and all of the fuss to be honest, we have a manager that is decisive and clearly skilled in what he does, hence his results, why constantly question and bemoan his calls?

It does seem a strange one, until or if the defence starts failing then one which we really can''t complain too much about.  Lambert sees the lads day in, day out, and has got us winning and playing better, and the defence has improved since the Watford game.

Poor treatment of players, ask Huckerby and Lappin about that.[;)]

"Town’s manager has been after a dominant leader for the heart of their defence and had identified Norwich’s Jens Berthel Askou, 27, as well as Hartlepool skipper and former Swindon loanee Sam Collins, 33."

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/leagueone/news_articles/8361187.Gow_expected_to_sign_today/

[quote user="Shyster"]I''m an incredibly sapient 49 year old who''s knowledge of football is superior to most hereTwot-features.[/quote]Who is this joker?This might help....the meaning of "Shyster" - someone who acts in a disreputable way