Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

The Treatment of Jens Berthel Askou

I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.

Treatment? What treatment? He''s hardly training with the kids, or banned from the ground. He''s just down the pecking order, as was Doherty at the beginning of last season - and I think, using that example, Lambert has proved that he will give people that play well a chance to stay in the team.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]I disagree. Askou is nothing more than an ok defender.Lambert obviously feels the same way as me.

Askou seems like a nice guy and he did a decent job in League One last year. His heading ability is freaky, he gets in the way but I never thought he stood out as being a class above others in League One.

Is Askou the best possible defender we could get? The answer is of course no. Barrett has played in the Champ and the Premiere League, is young and Lambert knows a bit about having scouted him before. If he is better than Askou, and his experience suggests he is, then its right to play him.

[quote user="Carra_Rud"]
I disagree. Askou is nothing more than an ok defender.

Lambert obviously feels the same way as me.
[/quote]

Wrong. Nothing is obvious about the way Lambert feels about players. His attitude is you come in and do well and you will keep your place in the team. Askou was unlucky and got injured. Nelson came in and did well enough to keep his place. If Askou get his chance and plays well then Nelson will have to wait until Askou either plays badly or gets injured.

Davo

What a bizarre thread. What''s the treatment exactly? Being a backup? It is odd how some players reputations are enhanced the longer they are out. I have every expectation that JBA will be ok when called upon, but he is not close to being our best defender, and I think the man who makes the decisions is likely to agree.

I agree that Askou is a very capable defender, but where has he been mis-treated? Do you mean by signing another defender is mis-treating him? We had to sign him, as we have only 2 fit CB''s, where at minimum you really need 4

The OP probably got the title of this thread a bit wrong but he definitely has a point in that JBA won''t really be getting a fair go if Barnett comes in on loan and goes straight above him in the pecking order. Regardless of what he''s done before, he should have to earn his place and i think with Nelson injured, Jens has done that. Yet by all accounts Barnett will start tomorrow. I put this in another thread anyway that said:Jba would feel a little hard done by if Barnett

stepped straight in on Saturday, and rightly so. He has had to bide his

time since getting injured last season and he''s done that without

rocking the boat and now he deserves his chance. To put a temporary loan

player straight in ahead of him would be tough for him to take.

But wba probably didn''t loan him out to have him sitting on the bench. Will be interesting to see what happens...

Few points here:-You don''t spend money on a loan player, only for him so sit on the bench (Unless you are a tit like Roedent)If Jens has trained better today than Leon then he should get his start, but at the end of the day, the manager will play who he thinks is his best players.If Jens does enough to get the place, then he''ll get the place!

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]

The only mistake Lambo may rue later on is his failure to add pace to the squad.

Disagree!

Askou was very good in the 1st half of the season till he got that foot injury at Yeovil. He hardly had anymore chances after that, enevitably got rusty and then when he had a few games struggled as a result!

Hes certainly a good back up centreback and by all accounts done more than OK at Blackburn the other night. But hes certainly not our best centreback at this moment!

He''ll be unlucky to not start tomorrow all said but then if Lambert rates the new higher then he''ll start but he''ll haveto play well or Askou will be in!

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.[/quote]I''d be interested to hear how many "many" actually is.I trust Lambert to pick the right team for the job, but I doubt he''s brought Barnett in to sit on the bench so would assume Askou will be in the squad as a sub.

[quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"][quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]

Listen here cuntybollocks, nobody here knows what goes down behind the scenes and in training, least of all you with your wankerty, immature avatar, so wind your neck in.The only mistake Lambo may rue later on is his failure to add pace to the squad.[/quote]Been around a lot longer that you, you cocky little upstart."nobody here knows what goes down behind the scenes and in training"...didn''t I say that?

[quote user="BA"]Being treated better than Spillane was.....or Hughes[/quote]Eh? Treated better than Spillane? And how was he treated badly? He got injured, he didn''t get played, he got sold. Is selling a player that''s come through the academy bad form now? I didn''t realise it was treating someone particularly bad, to sell them. You''ll be pleased to know he''s proving Lambert wrong, by determinedly warming the bench at Brentford. I genuinely don''t understand why not playing a player who either isn''t good enough, or is behind a player who is better/in better form, is considered bad treatment. I like Hughes, I wish he played more. I assume that he isn''t doing enough, or Lambert doesn''t rate him highly enough, because he seems to be behind Gill, let alone everyone else, in the pecking order. Is this bad treatment? No. It''s called having a squad and only being able to play 11 at any one point, and you want the very best you have out there. If Barnett is the better player, play him.

You''re all clearly retarded. None of you have seen Whitbread in his 4 games for Norwich, in which he was brilliant. When he is fit we will win the league.

I dont think Askou has been unfairly treated even if as seems likely he is left out today. It surely is all about what is best for our team. I have seen many threads on here saying certain players were fine in league 1 and surely Askou comes into that category. Ward and Barnett played an awful lot of games together last year at Coventry. Lambert clearly classes Ward as his number 1 centre half. He has been quite clever and signed a player that is not only good, has played regular with Ward but has also shown he is very good at this level. If it works out and we are challengeing in January then it also gives us the option to find £2m in January to sign him. Our club needs to improve week by week month by month and certainly season by season. To do that we must have the same mentality as Lambert in that reputations within our club stand for nothing. If we are pushing for promotion or get promoted and have the oppurtunity to sign a better centre forward than Holt what do we say - Holt should carry on playing as he is Holt?. Quite clearly we have signed a quality centre half proven at this level, bad luck on Askou but surely good for our club. At least we know if Barnett does not perform Lambert will admit to his mistake Askou will get a chance but then will have to improve on what Barnett has done. We now have a centre half prooven in the premier league as opposed to a centre half prooven in league 1. In supporting my club I know which one I would rather have.   

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.

It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?

By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.

I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).

However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.
[/quote]So you are questioning Lambert!

Heritec.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]I dont think Askou has been unfairly treated even if as seems likely he is left out today. It surely is all about what is best for our team. I have seen many threads on here saying certain players were fine in league 1 and surely Askou comes into that category. Ward and Barnett played an awful lot of games together last year at Coventry. Lambert clearly classes Ward as his number 1 centre half. He has been quite clever and signed a player that is not only good, has played regular with Ward but has also shown he is very good at this level. If it works out and we are challengeing in January then it also gives us the option to find £2m in January to sign him. Our club needs to improve week by week month by month and certainly season by season. To do that we must have the same mentality as Lambert in that reputations within our club stand for nothing. If we are pushing for promotion or get promoted and have the oppurtunity to sign a better centre forward than Holt what do we say - Holt should carry on playing as he is Holt?. Quite clearly we have signed a quality centre half proven at this level, bad luck on Askou but surely good for our club. At least we know if Barnett does not perform Lambert will admit to his mistake Askou will get a chance but then will have to improve on what Barnett has done. We now have a centre half prooven in the premier league as opposed to a centre half prooven in league 1. In supporting my club I know which one I would rather have.   [/quote]Barnett won''t cost anywhere near 2 million, he''s out of contract at the end of the season so if he does well I''d guess that we will loan him until the end of the season and agree to buy him for a reasonable fee in the summer.

If you look at our bench... it''s probably stronger now than it''s been in the last 2 or 3 years. Askou is decent, but that''s the whole point of having a squad is it not? To have players pushing each other for positions within the first team. It''s a squad game.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]If you look at our bench... it''s probably stronger now than it''s been in the last 2 or 3 years. Askou is decent, but that''s the whole point of having a squad is it not? To have players pushing each other for positions within the first team. It''s a squad game.
[/quote]ve

Just as I was about to say, And the Carling Cup was no more than A reserve match, some people were up in arms at the choice of Lambetts 11 Lets leave the Managers job to the guy that gets paid to do it., He has said another player could be here by deadline time,Only he knows the answers.  

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]So you are questioning Lambert!

Heritec.

[/quote]Are people on this message board no longer allowed to question the manager''s decisions?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.

It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?

By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.

I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).

However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.
[/quote]So you are questioning Lambert!

Heritec.

[/quote]

Are people on this message board no longer allowed to question the manager''s decisions?

[/quote]

When and if it goes wronge then we will all have questions, but untill then In Lambert I trust

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]I''d like to get your thoughts on this.It has been mentioned, but does anyone else here disagree with the treatment of Jens Berthel Askou?By that, I mean he is clearly not first choice centre-half at Norwich, yet many, myself included, consider him the best central defender we have.I''m not going to start questioning Lambert''s desicions whether or not he should be in the starting line-up, as other factors come into it (fitness, match-practice, injuries etc).However, a match-fit Askou, in my opinion, is the best central defender we have.[/quote]So you are questioning Lambert!

Heritec.

[/quote]Are people on this message board no longer allowed to question the manager''s decisions?[/quote]

When and if it goes wronge then we will all have questions, but untill then In Lambert I trust

[/quote]I trust in him too, but the idea that his decisions can''t be discussed without accusations of "Herisy" (sic) is childish at best.

So there we go. Lambert wants to play the 11 best players we have, and it seems that he doesn''t put Askou in that 11. I don''t either.