Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

should we cut our losses with Whitbread?

firstly i think Zak has the potential to be a good player. but injuries have blighted his career and he seems to be unable to shake them.we have bought Barnett in until January, a decent defender who if he does well will no doubt be purchased, fund available.This would leave us with Barnett, Askou, Nelson, Ward and Whitbread. 5 centrer backs vying for 2 positions. we can spend all season trying to get whitbread fit, but surely the money in treating him ontop of his wages is a drain on club resources. and as said above come january, with the club hopefully in a decent position and Barrett possibly bagged where will that leave a player who''s career has been blighted by injuries?i like whitbread and want him to do well but common sense might come into play soon enough im afraid.

How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.

The problem is that there are unlikely to be too many takers for him, what with his recent injury record.

I imagine we paid a tidy fee for him so it must be worth trying to get him fit. There''s a very good player in there somewhere.

[quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Big Slob"]Maybe wrong, but don''t the club have insurance when it comes to paying injured players?[/quote]i would hope so[/quote]i would suspect that covers things like breaks etc. 0players like whitbread would cost insurers a fortune if not!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?[/quote]Yeah, that sounds really fair lol.If he was in the position where he was never going to be fit again, then maybe. But last I heard he could be in contention very soon.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Big Slob"]Maybe wrong, but don''t the club have insurance when it comes to paying injured players?
[/quote]i would hope so[/quote]

Not one that covers their wages. Usually there is cover that pays out if the player is unable to play professional football again.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?[/quote]Yeah, that sounds really fair lol.If he was in the position where he was never going to be fit again, then maybe. But last I heard he could be in contention very soon.[/quote]we heard that regularly with Matthieu Louis-jean too.. he was always "getting better soon" so was Jim Brennan. the time comes where you have to take a stance on it.whitbread has been here since December, 9 months now. and we have had 4 games out of him. what was the fee we paid? comparred to the number of games played over that period? yet again if he continues to struggle its another reason to just get rid.

He''s not the first player to be injured long-term. We have had them before and most clubs currently have them, as well as us. At least we didn''t pay the amount in fees and wages that IT did when signing Civelli.

It seems a fact of professional soccer and a necessary expense that has to be factored in.

I have often wondered if the club are insured for such a thing ie. a policy which takes effect with regards to wages etc. once a player has been innactive for so long. I believe thay are insured against losing players to career ending injuries, as are the players themselves, either personally or through the Club.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?[/quote]Yeah, that sounds really fair lol.If he was in the position where he was never going to be fit again, then maybe. But last I heard he could be in contention very soon.[/quote]we heard that regularly with Matthieu Louis-jean too.. he was always "getting better soon" so was Jim Brennan. the time comes where you have to take a stance on it.whitbread has been here since December, 9 months now. and we have had 4 games out of him. what was the fee we paid? comparred to the number of games played over that period? yet again if he continues to struggle its another reason to just get rid.

[/quote]Do you really think the current regime can be compared to previous niavely stupid ones?Whilst his injuries are disappointing and frustrating you can''t treat people in the way you suggest. Who signed Whitbread, as an aside?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?[/quote]Yeah, that sounds really fair lol.If he was in the position where he was never going to be fit again, then maybe. But last I heard he could be in contention very soon.[/quote]we heard that regularly with Matthieu Louis-jean too.. he was always "getting better soon" so was Jim Brennan. the time comes where you have to take a stance on it.whitbread has been here since December, 9 months now. and we have had 4 games out of him. what was the fee we paid? comparred to the number of games played over that period? yet again if he continues to struggle its another reason to just get rid.

[/quote]Do you really think the current regime can be compared to previous niavely stupid ones?Whilst his injuries are disappointing and frustrating you can''t treat people in the way you suggest. Who signed Whitbread, as an aside?[/quote]so you run a business and someone phones in sick, doctors note in hand. Works for 2 days then phones in sick again, and this pattern gets repeated. how long do you wait before you decide to stop paying money to them and get in someone who is going to reward your investment?Football is a business and business is cruel. Zak whitbread Might be in contention soon thats true, but then I MIGHT wake up next to a naked Megan Fox Tommorow, Banana MIGHT disapear from this message board, Lord Lucan MIGHT return married to amelia Earhart.do you see the problem with might?Lambert signed Whitbread. doesnt mean Lambert cant get rid does it?

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]We could''ve said similar when Drury went through his injury spell, but he bounced back.[/quote]he did. but Drury has been fairly injury free in his career. whitbread hasnt.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"]How do you suggest we cut our losses? He''s on a contract, and we''d be unlikely to be able to sell him.[/quote]by paying off that contract we pay him his wages due minus treatment costs, physio supplies, and anything else associated with injury rehab.how much does this cost us per month?lets save the money shall we?[/quote]Yeah, that sounds really fair lol.If he was in the position where he was never going to be fit again, then maybe. But last I heard he could be in contention very soon.[/quote]we heard that regularly with Matthieu Louis-jean too.. he was always "getting better soon" so was Jim Brennan. the time comes where you have to take a stance on it.whitbread has been here since December, 9 months now. and we have had 4 games out of him. what was the fee we paid? comparred to the number of games played over that period? yet again if he continues to struggle its another reason to just get rid.

[/quote]Do you really think the current regime can be compared to previous niavely stupid ones?Whilst his injuries are disappointing and frustrating you can''t treat people in the way you suggest. Who signed Whitbread, as an aside?[/quote]so you run a business and someone phones in sick, doctors note in hand. Works for 2 days then phones in sick again, and this pattern gets repeated. how long do you wait before you decide to stop paying money to them and get in someone who is going to reward your investment?Football is a business and business is cruel. Zak whitbread Might be in contention soon thats true, but then I MIGHT wake up next to a naked Megan Fox Tommorow, Banana MIGHT disapear from this message board, Lord Lucan MIGHT return married to amelia Earhart.do you see the problem with might?Lambert signed Whitbread. doesnt mean Lambert cant get rid does it?[/quote]I should imagine you comply with current laws regarding the matter. Which I should imagine would also apply to an employee of a football club.Lambert said he could be in contention after the international break, which hardly paints a picture of a player close to the scrap heap.I asked who signed him as I wasn''t sure, there was no subplot to it lol.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]We could''ve said similar when Drury went through his injury spell, but he bounced back.
[/quote]

he did. but Drury has been fairly injury free in his career. whitbread hasnt.
[/quote]

Fair comment, but this injury is completely unrelated to the long term one he had at Milwall, before which he had very few problems. I think a bit of patience is justified in this case.

They''ll give him this season and if by the end hes still a crock and has hardly played if at all, then I''m sure they''d say enough is enough!

I had to laugh at the poster who claimed that before his injury problems with us and in in his last year at Millwall Whitbread was relatively injury free!

I heard a while back that Millwall were glad to get shot of him!

That the reason 90% of their fans were in uproar at him leaving? And booing him when he went back there. They know what a talented player he is, show some patience and we''ll reap the benifits.

Cant get rid of him yet.  As mentioned, if hes hardly played by the end of the season then maybe it should be something we should consider.  I should imagine the club has some sort of insurance that will pay some of an injured players wages if they''re out for a period of time.  Also i would expect players have a clause where their wages drop by a set % if they are out for a while. 

We need to give him some time. 

1 other thing, what do you reckon hes on wages wise a week?  5k?  So bear in mind hes got over 18 months left on his contract and we agreed a deal to pay off around 12 months your talking a pay off of around £200k.  Think i''d rather give him some more time to get fit.

I understand people like Jas getting a bit fustrated with the Whitbread situation and so am I because from what I know of him and who I know who have seen him play, he is a good defender.  However lets give it untill the end of the season before we talk about getting rid.  In a couple of weeks he could be on the bench and within a month he could be a starter and he could turn out to be a really important player for us and then the wait for him to come back from injury would have been worth it.

However and like Jas said, there is an element of doubt as to whether he will be playing within a month and we have to make sure we don''t keep hold of him for to long if he keeps getting injured and IMO, like most others, give it untill the end of the season.

Likes to play football instead of hoofing it out of defence , looks comfortable with the ball at his feet of course we need to have him back and fit Liverpool must have seen something in him