Sign in to follow this  
Tony Moore

City Cup Run in 1959

Rather an obscure question I''m afraid. I always thought that the last passenger train to leave the City Station (where Halfords is now) was the football special that took supporters to the match against Sheffield Utd on Feb 28, 1959. A friend is adamant that this is not correct.

Does anyone out there have the definitive answer (preferably supported by evidence!!)

Tony

I''m no expert just a question.  Though the station was closed on the 2nd, did they have any trains leave on the 1st?  Chances are they probably did but they may not have done.  The station may have officially closed then but had no actual movement for a day or two prior.  Possible?

Quote:-

It was closed to passengers on 2 March 1959 along with most of the Midland & Great Northern system, although the station remained in use for goods traffic until 1969.

[quote user="The Butler"]

It was closed to passengers on 2 March 1959 along with most of the Midland & Great Northern system, although the station remained in use for goods traffic until 1969.

[/quote]I know it says that.  It could be a stock statement referring to all the said railway stations.  Bearing in mind it''s a Monday.  If I said my Ironmongers closed to customers on 2nd March 1959 so no customers.  When was my last day''s trade taking in consideration I don''t open Sundays.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I know it says that.  It could be a stock statement referring to all the said railway stations. 
Bearing in mind it''s a Monday.  If I said my Ironmongers closed to customers on 2nd March 1959 so no customers.  When was my last day''s trade taking in consideration I don''t open Sundays.
[/quote]

As that statement comes from the Norwich Heritage I would assume it was not a stock answer.

The 2nd was a Monday but there was a service that ran on Sundays North Norfolk stations that I can remember.

So just throwing my hat at it and they say it stopped on the 2nd I would assume the 1st traffic ran or it would have stopped on the 1st.

Unlike shops railways ran 7 days a week. Also the freight side kept going so no need to shut sooner.

As I was not on the station when the final whistle blew then all conjecture but does answer what the original question asked.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]I know it says that.  It could be a stock statement referring to all the said railway stations.  Bearing in mind it''s a Monday.  If I said my Ironmongers closed to customers on 2nd March 1959 so no customers.  When was my last day''s trade taking in consideration I don''t open Sundays.[/quote]

As that statement comes from the Norwich Heritage I would assume it was not a stock answer.

The 2nd was a Monday but there was a service that ran on Sundays North Norfolk stations that I can remember.

So just throwing my hat at it and they say it stopped on the 2nd I would assume the 1st traffic ran or it would have stopped on the 1st.

Unlike shops railways ran 7 days a week. Also the freight side kept going so no need to shut sooner.

As I was not on the station when the final whistle blew then all conjecture but does answer what the original question asked.

[/quote]That''s fine, I wasn''t trying to make a big argument.  I was just trying to debate that, as the station closed on the 2nd doesn''t mean the last passenger train was also on the 2nd.  If you remember a service definitely ran Sundays, that''s fine by me[Y]

[quote user="The Butler"]As I was not on the station when the final whistle blew........[/quote]That''s not a good enough answer Buttles! Where exactly were you? [;)][:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]As I was not on the station when the final whistle blew........[/quote]That''s not a good enough answer Buttles! Where exactly were you? [;)][:D][/quote]

Ah Lapp I remember it well. Me and a girl called Janet Mingay went looking for ..flowers...in the bluebell woods.

Those glorious days firmly etched on a prepubescent mind[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]As I was not on the station when the final whistle blew........[/quote]That''s not a good enough answer Buttles! Where exactly were you? [;)][:D][/quote]

Ah Lapp I remember it well. Me and a girl called Janet Mingay went looking for ..flowers...in the bluebell woods.

Those glorious days firmly etched on a prepubescent mind[;)][/quote]Jammy git! I was mucking out pigs. [:(]

[quote user="Tony Moore"]Rather an obscure question I''m afraid. I always thought that the last passenger train to leave the City Station (where Halfords is now) was the football special that took supporters to the match against Sheffield Utd on Feb 28, 1959. A friend is adamant that this is not correct.

Does anyone out there have the definitive answer (preferably supported by evidence!!)

Tony[/quote]Perhaps the old memory is playing tricks but as I remember it, we went from Thorpe Station.

[/quote]Got a shag then?..........

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Got a shag then?..........
[/quote]

No need to beat about the bush

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Jammy git! I was mucking out pigs. [:(]

[/quote]

Explains a lot.

OTBC

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Got a shag then?..........
[/quote]

No need to beat about the bush

[/quote]

Depends how thick & overgrown it is.

OTBC