Sign in to follow this  
barclaybabe

One minute silence

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]I''m shocked by the reaction from this messageboard, I agree it isn''t really in keeping with Football, but it was a horrific tragedy and deserves a little respect. The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people. Have some F-ing respect, wether or not you agree with the OP is besides the point, peoples life''s were destroyed.[/quote]Oh dear. Have you heard of ''Carpet Bombing''? Have you so much as glanced at the casualty list, and the proportion of Iraqi citizens that happen to make-up a major part of it''s composition? This is not to mention the host of friendly fire incidents that even you would probably struggle to describe as the killing of the ''right'' people.I grant the incident itself the respect it deserves, not the concept as proposed by ''barclaybabe''. And the respect i show it by the way is in proportion to the rest of other horrific incidents that happen to take place across the world on a daily basis, and like the anniversary of so many horrendous things that have occurred throughout history that i don''t pay respects to at football matches, i wouldn''t intend to do so for 9/11 against Barnsley at Carrow Road. As much as the victims deserve all but no ones sympathy, it would be frankly absurd if it became the global focal point of commiserations for years to come, whilst we turn a blind eye to things just as, if not desperately more tragic.And don''t bother pressing a matter of morals against us, and the idea that we can''t debate the topic for fear of "lack of respect". The media has been doing that for far too long in America, and to far too great an extent, and, as many foreign visitors can testify to, it hasn''t done the general populous too many favours concerning they''re mentality when it comes to the "outside world".

Viva_Marc_Libbra said: The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people.

Apologies, I can''t quote him.

Iraq was not becoming a threat to either America or the UK. If they were how come the UN found no weapons, the Americans found no weapons and the British forces found no weapons? Do you really believe despite all the evidence against the theory that Saddam was a threat to us? If he was a threat why wasn''t it found? Or are the British and the Americans keeping the threat hidden so they look bad?

The proof they weren''t looking for liberating the people can be found in the north of the country. If they really wanted to liberate Iraq why have the Kurds not been liberated? Yes Saddam is out of their way but they are still in a Muslim dominated country. That''s right they don''t want to upset the turks by making a Kurdistan.

So with the theory of threat out of the way, with no evidence of real liberation, why did we fight this war? To get rid of the bad man? What about the bad man in Zimbabwe? The Bad man in North Korea?

Or did we fight it as an excuse and the real objective was Oil? No matter how you look at it, Saddam''s biggest mistake was invading Kuwait. Up until that moment the US and Britain were his allies. Since then we''ve been his enemies.

Davo

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Maybe the biggest threat to our previous Prime Minister and his chums......was Dr David Kelly?[/quote]

Not the ineffective PM Gormless Gordon.....The one before him.....

so a minutes silence for something that happened 9 years ago in another country?

Richard III died in 1497.. i think we should mark the occasion next saturday with a minutes applause.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Maybe the biggest threat to our previous Prime Minister and his chums......was Dr David Kelly?[/quote]

[:O] And look what happened to that poor bastard?

John if you''re going to quote me quote the important bit.... "generally" instead of highlighting just some of it

"generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, "

GENERALLY being the important part. I''m not saying the war was right or anything, all I''m saying there is nothing wrong with paying respects to the dead, especially those killed in seemingly cold blood. The vast majority of posts have been anti minutes of silence, and personally I don''t see the problem at all.

[quote user="barclaybabe"]

Come the Norwich v Barnsley game, is there going to be a minutes silence for 9/11?  as the twin towers did start burning around 3 o clock.

would be nice to pay our respects

[/quote]Feckin Yanks.....Our country was bombed into oblivion on a daily basis during WW2.....  One attack on the Yankee mainland and the world is thrown into chaos.How about we worry about our own kind for a change eh?

[quote user="barclaybabe"]

Come the Norwich v Barnsley game, is there going to be a minutes silence for 9/11?  as the twin towers did start burning around 3 o clock.

would be nice to pay our respects

[/quote]

Or not Dobby.

''''Could always forget about the Iraq/Afghan wars and 9/11 and hold one for the nearly 7 million people slaughtered in the DRC civil war since 1997... More than world war 2 have died in this war, yet it is never mentioned by Western media....DEFINITELY has NOTHING to do with the fact they are mineral rich in Coltan which is used in Laptops/mp3 players/mobile phones and the war keeps the costs down...''''

Exactly, and how many realise the atrocities are still going on?

[quote user="barclaybabe"]im done with that iraqi war anyway, heard enough about it, im sure the club will decide what to do that day[/quote]Good grief.

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]I''m shocked by the reaction from this messageboard, I agree it isn''t really in keeping with Football, but it was a horrific tragedy and deserves a little respect. The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people. Have some F-ing respect, wether or not you agree with the OP is besides the point, peoples life''s were destroyed.[/quote]I lived out there for 5 years following 9/11.They use it as propaganda and for all the wrong reasons, they seem to forget other perhaps more important issues going on in the world and escilate this to the single most damaging moment in human history.Frankly I find it disgusting and have a lot of respect for the people it effected and perhaps even more so for the New York fire service who in some cases sacrificed themselves on a large scale for other people.I do not however respect the repecutions of 9/11 and how it was used to mount a modern day Crusade.

Repecutions? Lost on that one although I was able to figure out what you meant bu escilate (escalate).

Perhaps we play 9/11 up more than anyoner else does because it happened to us so it stung a little deeper than, say the July attacks on the London transit did a few years later.

We can''t help it if the rest of the world gets caught up in our drama, that is on the rest of the world''s shoulders. Stop minding our busisness and you wouldn''t be so upset by it. Why not focus on the Congo and the real, on-going tragedy there? It''s not as galmorous or chic, but it''ll make you just as angry, and for a real reason.

If you don''t realize Hussein was a threat to the west then you are uninformed. He should have been removed because of the genocides he engaged in against the Kurds. He had already shown aggression against Kuwait once, and messing with the oil supply would have a major impact on your own lifestyles, moch more than it would on mine since we get most of our imports from places beyond the Middle East. So yes, he was a threat., WMDs or not.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Repecutions? Lost on that one although I was able to figure out what you meant bu escilate (escalate).

Perhaps we play 9/11 up more than anyoner else does because it happened to us so it stung a little deeper than, say the July attacks on the London transit did a few years later.

We can''t help it if the rest of the world gets caught up in our drama, that is on the rest of the world''s shoulders. Stop minding our busisness and you wouldn''t be so upset by it. Why not focus on the Congo and the real, on-going tragedy there? It''s not as galmorous or chic, but it''ll make you just as angry, and for a real reason.

If you don''t realize Hussein was a threat to the west then you are uninformed. He should have been removed because of the genocides he engaged in against the Kurds. He had already shown aggression against Kuwait once, and messing with the oil supply would have a major impact on your own lifestyles, moch more than it would on mine since we get most of our imports from places beyond the Middle East. So yes, he was a threat., WMDs or not.[/quote]Erk maybe this thread needs to be deleted or locked plz Pete ??No disrespect to Houston here but after reading that im about ready to spit venom straight back :-/Sorry pal, will merely hold my flame and sayI disagree entirely !!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]Repecutions? Lost on that one although I was able to figure out what you meant bu escilate (escalate). Perhaps we play 9/11 up more than anyoner else does because it happened to us so it stung a little deeper than, say the July attacks on the London transit did a few years later. We can''t help it if the rest of the world gets caught up in our drama, that is on the rest of the world''s shoulders. Stop minding our busisness and you wouldn''t be so upset by it. Why not focus on the Congo and the real, on-going tragedy there? It''s not as galmorous or chic, but it''ll make you just as angry, and for a real reason. If you don''t realize Hussein was a threat to the west then you are uninformed. He should have been removed because of the genocides he engaged in against the Kurds. He had already shown aggression against Kuwait once, and messing with the oil supply would have a major impact on your own lifestyles, moch more than it would on mine since we get most of our imports from places beyond the Middle East. So yes, he was a threat., WMDs or not.[/quote]

Erk maybe this thread needs to be deleted or locked plz Pete ??

No disrespect to Houston here but after reading that im about ready to spit venom straight back :-/
Sorry pal, will merely hold my flame and say

I disagree entirely !!
[/quote]

I am with you Nexsus. Ask ''em why they did not come into WWI until 1917 or WWII until 1942. Was not Germany a threat to freedom or did they want to see the British Empire bankrupt first?

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]I''m shocked by the reaction from this messageboard, I agree it isn''t really in keeping with Football, but it was a horrific tragedy and deserves a little respect. The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people. Have some F-ing respect, wether or not you agree with the OP is besides the point, peoples life''s were destroyed.[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_killingsGet back to me when you''ve thought about this a bit.

What you''re forgetting though Chops is that s/he has used the word ''generally'' in that sentenace, and as such, means they can just pass off your point as being the exception. [;)]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]What you''re forgetting though Chops is that s/he has used the word ''generally'' in that sentenace, and as such, means they can just pass off your point as being the exception. [;)][/quote]Well, that''s true.http://www.iraqbodycount.org/I know a lot of innocent people died in 9/11, and in the 7/7 attacks, and innocent people die every day in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, all over the world.  There''s no hierarchy on grief as far as I''m concerned, but you can''t say "our" lives matter more than "theirs" without losing part of your humanity.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Repecutions? Lost on that one although I was able to figure out what you meant bu escilate (escalate).

If you don''t realize Hussein was a threat to the west then you are uninformed. He should have been removed because of the genocides he engaged in against the Kurds. He had already shown aggression against Kuwait once, and messing with the oil supply would have a major impact on your own lifestyles, moch more than it would on mine since we get most of our imports from places beyond the Middle East. So yes, he was a threat., WMDs or not.[/quote]You really are a pretentious cock aren''t you?Never mind the carnage.... just as long as it''s spelt right.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]I''m shocked by the reaction from this messageboard, I agree it isn''t really in keeping with Football, but it was a horrific tragedy and deserves a little respect. The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people. Have some F-ing respect, wether or not you agree with the OP is besides the point, peoples life''s were destroyed.[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_killingsGet back to me when you''ve thought about this a bit.[/quote]Now that quite literally left me feeling sick.

Leaving the politics aside for a second, thousands of people died, and that is worth some respect. These people may not have voted for the Bush government or whatever else people may like to trace to the provocation of radical muslims, but they didn''t deserve to die in this way. The American people are not the American government.

[quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]

Anyone know what that bit is meant to say!?!?

[quote user="Iwanlegend"][quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]

Anyone know what that bit is meant to say!?!?[/quote]No one enjoys having to decipher the ramblings of an idiot but i think it''s meant to say something along the lines of :In two years time it''ll be ten years since it happened. But it would be nice (possibly highlighting that this would be in spite of the premature nature of the occasion as well as what is to proceed >), even though it has nothing to do with football.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Iwanlegend"][quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]

Anyone know what that bit is meant to say!?!?[/quote]No one enjoys having to decipher the ramblings of an idiot but i think it''s meant to say something along the lines of :In two years time it''ll be ten years since it happened. But it would be nice (possibly highlighting that this would be in spite of the premature nature of the occasion as well as what is to proceed >), even though it has nothing to do with football.[/quote]"It would be nice" is my favourite bit. It''s like dialogue from some C-movie."Hey, remember that totally appalling terrorist outrage?""Yeah!""We should, like, remember it.""Yes.  That would be nice."

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="John"][quote user="Iwanlegend"][quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]

Anyone know what that bit is meant to say!?!?[/quote]No one enjoys having to decipher the ramblings of an idiot but i think it''s meant to say something along the lines of :In two years time it''ll be ten years since it happened. But it would be nice (possibly highlighting that this would be in spite of the premature nature of the occasion as well as what is to proceed >), even though it has nothing to do with football.[/quote]"It would be nice" is my favourite bit. It''s like dialogue from some C-movie."Hey, remember that totally appalling terrorist outrage?""Yeah!""We should, like, remember it.""Yes.  That would be nice."[/quote]Haha! ''Like totally''.I have an image of it being played out in casual and passing conversation in some gut-wrenching awful chick flick.Maybe it''s a career path barclaybabe should consider pursuing?

Actually, in 2 years time it will be 11 years since it happened, not 10. Change your calenday already!

Cluck, you are a beetch if that''s what makes you think I am your lollipop. What is repecutions supposed to be?

Nexus, I am stunned at how much CLuck hates me but lets you get by with disagreeing 100% with me. The hell that is Congo is a tragedy in almost anyone''s mind. I added "almost" becuase you and that bee-atch Cluck think otherwise. Rotten jackwads!

As for WWI and II, Bobert, the US used to abide by the Monroe Doctrine which in simple terms said to the rest of the world, stay out of the Americas, leave us alone, and we will leave you alone. In WWI, we didn''t really even have a favorite until Germany stepped over the line one too many times. WWII we knew who to support and why, but it was not our problem so we stayed out of it.

If the Libertarians ever get in power, the Munroe Doctrine will reign supreme again, and the rest of the world will be left to fend for itself.

I can''t believe Cluck and nexus are unaware of the gassing of 100.000s of Kurds Hussein did, or if they are aware of it, that they think it was not worth bothering about. Also, there was a previous war over there when he was driven out of Kuwait, and he had every intention of going back in there and expanding beyond that, a la Hitler pre-WWII. You do know Iran and Iraq were at war for a decade a while before that, don''t you?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Actually, in 2 years time it will be 11 years since it happened, not 10. Change your calenday already!

Cluck, you are a beetch if that''s what makes you think I am your lollipop. What is repecutions supposed to be?

Nexus, I am stunned at how much CLuck hates me but lets you get by with disagreeing 100% with me. The hell that is Congo is a tragedy in almost anyone''s mind. I added "almost" becuase you and that bee-atch Cluck think otherwise. Rotten jackwads!

As for WWI and II, Bobert, the US used to abide by the Monroe Doctrine which in simple terms said to the rest of the world, stay out of the Americas, leave us alone, and we will leave you alone. In WWI, we didn''t really even have a favorite until Germany stepped over the line one too many times. WWII we knew who to support and why, but it was not our problem so we stayed out of it.

If the Libertarians ever get in power, the Munroe Doctrine will reign supreme again, and the rest of the world will be left to fend for itself.

I can''t believe Cluck and nexus are unaware of the gassing of 100.000s of Kurds Hussein did, or if they are aware of it, that they think it was not worth bothering about. Also, there was a previous war over there when he was driven out of Kuwait, and he had every intention of going back in there and expanding beyond that, a la Hitler pre-WWII. You do know Iran and Iraq were at war for a decade a while before that, don''t you?[/quote]Oh dear.... Yanks are clearly far better at crawling into holes than getting out of them.