Sign in to follow this  
barclaybabe

One minute silence

Come the Norwich v Barnsley game, is there going to be a minutes silence for 9/11?  as the twin towers did start burning around 3 o clock.

would be nice to pay our respects

Why ?Sure it sucked and all but it was ages ago and I spent years "paying my respects", how about we think about ending the latest Crusade into Iraq  / Afghanistan and the people STILL homeless from Huricane Katrina ??

If thats the case I''d like a minutes silence for when William the Conquerer invaded England and killed King Harold Godwinsson.

[quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]

Eh??!![*-)]

After living stateside for 5 years im sick of the facist nature in which their media and government tuse it to generate such a deep seeded hatred for people.Its history, they should learn something from it regarding thier foreign policy !

9 / 11 was horrible, should never have happened, and 3000 people died.

The Iraq war was horrible, should never have happened, and over 100,000 people died.

One happened in front of you on telly in a day, the other has taken years.

Do we have a minutes silence for the Iraquis ?

I think that answers your question.

the only good thing which happened in that war is that we overthrew saddam hussain, but they should of done that themselves not get us involved.

pretty stupid really

[quote user="barclaybabe"]

the only good thing which happened in that war is that we overthrew saddam hussain, but they should of done that themselves not get us involved.

pretty stupid really

[/quote]

If you don''t understand politics, don''t embarass yourself.

No-one got us involved except Blair and his fabricated dossier of evidence... and acting under Bush''s command instead of letting Hans Blix and the other UN weapons inspectors finish their job.

The Iraqis certainly didnt get us involved, and most of them don''t even want us there.

[quote user="barclaybabe"]

pretty stupid really

[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrusadesFollow that link and have a read about the war in Iraq.It will proove enlightening and not by any means out of context....although trade words regarding "gold" or "resources" and replace them with "oil"

Frankly id rather have a minutes silence at Carrow road for my poor departed cat than 9/11, and thats actually not meant with any disrespect to the fine NY canaries we have here !Not you guys, its your spazzy former president / government.

Could always forget about the Iraq/Afghan wars and 9/11 and hold one for the nearly 7 million people slaughtered in the DRC civil war since 1997... More than world war 2 have died in this war, yet it is never mentioned by Western media....DEFINITELY has NOTHING to do with the fact they are mineral rich in Coltan which is used in Laptops/mp3 players/mobile phones and the war keeps the costs down...

[quote user="barclaybabe"]im done with that iraqi war anyway, heard enough about it, im sure the club will decide what to do that day[/quote]Eurgh. Just... Eurgh.

[quote user="kick it off"]Could always forget about the Iraq/Afghan wars and 9/11 and hold one for the nearly 7 million people slaughtered in the DRC civil war since 1997... More than world war 2 have died in this war, yet it is never mentioned by Western media....DEFINITELY has NOTHING to do with the fact they are mineral rich in Coltan which is used in Laptops/mp3 players/mobile phones and the war keeps the costs down...[/quote]

[Y] Sad,horrible story. I am sure someone said "Never again" after Rwanda.......

[quote user="blahblahblah"]9 / 11 was horrible, should never have happened, and 3000 people died.

The Iraq war was horrible, should never have happened, and over 100,000 people died.

One happened in front of you on telly in a day, the other has taken years.

Do we have a minutes silence for the Iraquis ?

I think that answers your question.[/quote]about right, that.

[quote user="kick it off"]Could always forget about the Iraq/Afghan wars and 9/11 and hold one for the nearly 7 million people slaughtered in the DRC civil war since 1997... More than world war 2 have died in this war, yet it is never mentioned by Western media....DEFINITELY has NOTHING to do with the fact they are mineral rich in Coltan which is used in Laptops/mp3 players/mobile phones and the war keeps the costs down...[/quote]

Don''t even get me started on this. My dissertation was on the topic of DRC and the UNs influence as well as outside intermediaries, I realise people will say it has nothing to do with us etc so why get involved when we have our own problems but that country really should be the shining light in Africa.

Back to the OP''s question. No I don''t think we should have a minutes silence, if I was a family member I''d like to be able to mourn without it being played for all - that''s not to say it should be forgotten about and swept under the carpet, just simply left out of the spotlight.

[quote user="barclaybabe"]its going to be tens years since it happened two years later. but it would be nice, even though it aint nothing to do with football[/quote]Flat out...Stupid

The minute''s silence should be kept for Remembrance Day only.

A minutes applause should be used after someone has died or on key anniversaries.

Tell me, did you have a minutes silence for VE day this year? Did you have one for VJ day? How about the end of the Falkland War? Or the end of the first Iraq war? How about Dunblane or Lockerbie? The London bombings?

I can fully understand people in New York and America paying their tributes and if I was there I would join them. However I don''t feel out football club should have either an applause or a minute silence.

Davo

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="barclaybabe"]

pretty stupid really

[/quote]

No-one got us involved except Blair and his fabricated dossier of evidence... and acting under Bush''s command instead of letting Hans Blix and the other UN weapons inspectors finish their job.

The Iraqis certainly didnt get us involved, and most of them don''t even want us there.[/quote]Politics or not, this was a positive outcome from the war. Oh, and the second part reads as rather sexist. (or maybe just me.)

No. We should not become a self pity city like Liverpool. Ever since Diana was killed in a car crash we look to anything to make us feel that we have pity yet the very same people let their kids run feral on the streets. I''m tempted to open a florist outside anfield!

[quote user="Davo"]The minute''s silence should be kept for Remembrance Day only.

A minutes applause should be used after someone has died or on key anniversaries.

Tell me, did you have a minutes silence for VE day this year? Did you have one for VJ day? How about the end of the Falkland War? Or the end of the first Iraq war? How about Dunblane or Lockerbie? The London bombings?

I can fully understand people in New York and America paying their tributes and if I was there I would join them. However I don''t feel out football club should have either an applause or a minute silence.

Davo[/quote]It''s not that simple.  Clapping stiffs willy nilly is not always a good idea and only really suited in some instances.  And not everybody is happy about clapping a stiff in a coffin and are more comfortable with the silent remembrance.  Maybe it''ll become more common in the future, but the first time it had the most coverage was when Princess Di died and was shown on TV.  As the coffin was carted along the streets a group of Frenchies tossed some flowers and started clapping.  The commentator then explained ''it''s what they do''.  As far as I''m aware from that point it gave football the idea to clap a stiff because is was an excellent way to drown out the morons who wanted to act a tit.  From that point it''s been a bit controversial because not everyone wants to clap, or not everyone wants to be silent.  My opinion, it depends on the age of the stiff and what their achievements are.  A young sportsman fine clap, a much older person keep silent.  Unless it''s the local pervert than urinating is in order[:P]

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="barclaybabe"]

pretty stupid really

[/quote]

The Iraqis certainly didnt get us involved, and most of them don''t even want us there.[/quote]Politics or not, this was a positive outcome from the war. Oh, and the second part reads as rather sexist. (or maybe just me.) [/quote]

I agree getting rid of Saddam was positive, but what about all the other dictators and conflicts in the world? Why specifically Iraq....they had no WMDs and the US/UK didnt let the UN finish their inspection as they knew what the outcome would be...one word: OIL...

The second part was never intended as sexist - the don''t understand politics part was aimed at "they should of done that themselves not get us involved"... I think a majority would agree getting rid of Saddam was a good thing, but the IRaqis never got us involved in anything, Blair/Bush did that....illegally.

I would have made the same statement directed at whoever said that, I didn''t even notice the poster''s name until afterwards, was a touch harsh though to be fair so I apologise Barclaybabe, i just get too passionate about politics!!

[quote user="kick it off"]Could always forget about the Iraq/Afghan wars and 9/11 and hold one for the nearly 7 million people slaughtered in the DRC civil war since 1997... More than world war 2 have died in this war, yet it is never mentioned by Western media....DEFINITELY has NOTHING to do with the fact they are mineral rich in Coltan which is used in Laptops/mp3 players/mobile phones and the war keeps the costs down...[/quote]I''m sorry what? World War 2 claimed over 60 million lives.

Silly Sausage,

I agree with what your saying. I prefer a minute of silence. The problem is when your at a football ground a minute of silence is not possible for most events outside of Remembrance Day because of those morons. I don''t like clapping for a minute however I prefer it to hearing the morons booing etc.

Davo

I''m shocked by the reaction from this messageboard, I agree it isn''t really in keeping with Football, but it was a horrific tragedy and deserves a little respect. The vast majority are belittling it, wether the American''s provoked it or not is besides the point, Iraq were becoming a threat to American and English security and generally I''d say Americans were killing the right people, with the right intentions instead of bombing towers full of innocent people. Have some F-ing respect, wether or not you agree with the OP is besides the point, peoples life''s were destroyed.