Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Huck's on Cricket...

"Played cricket today, got to be one of the most boring sports I''ve ever

played, at 1 point I was just running round trying to stay awake."I''m saddened.  Running between the Wicket he might have got.  :O)

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Well I love cricket, up there with football for my favourite sports.[/quote]That''s because you are a man of fine taste Excited.  A capital chap sir.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Excited Canary"]Well I love cricket, up there with football for my favourite sports.[/quote]That''s because you are a man of fine taste Excited.  A capital chap sir. [/quote][;)] [Y]

I don''t mind Cricket.  Always good fun if your with a few mates having a couple jars. Much prefere Footy, Speedway & Moto GP though.

Of the major sports (and probably the minor ones too) cricket is by far

the most subtle, complicated, brilliant and difficult. Intrinsically,

vastly interesting than football. It is also, despite its popular image,

extremely tough, especially psychologically.

It''s not something that I can give my full attention to, to read the paper or something during is fine. However to only be watching it, fully concentrated like the Football is a completely different matter.

God cricket is bl00dy awful! They throw the ball at the man with a bat, he hit the ball, aimlessly (sp?) start running between 2 sets of sticks, then wait for ever for the person to throw the ball again! The only outdoor sport where you can keep your jumper on without breaking a sweat!

I love cricket for all the wrong reasons!

How many sports in the UK are there were you can go and watch a professional game and drink alcohol all day and even get to spend time doing that in a jacuzzi on the boundary with beauties?!?!

Also, when I used to play I was so bad at batting (out and out bowler) and therefore got to spend numerous hours drinking and sunbathing!!!

Agree a little though as it can be dull.

I don''t consider anything where you stop for tea to be a sport. Cricket just an excuse to sit in the sun all day and get pissed, not that there is anything wrong with that.

20-20 is ok though.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I don''t consider anything where you stop for tea to be a sport. Cricket just an excuse to sit in the sun all day and get pissed, not that there is anything wrong with that.

20-20 is ok though.[/quote]20-20 is to real cricket what the crossbar challenge is to real football.[;)]

Perfectly put, PurpleCanary.Test cricket is still the most comprehensive and demanding format in all sporting competition, psychologically and physically, simultaneously examing a diverse range of individual skills as well as fitness, teamwork, team spirit and tactical control.

cricket, especially test match cricket is the ultimate waste of time - and i love every minute of it!

Incredibly boring. My first and last live cricket match was when I went with my brother-in-law to Hove (Hampshire v Middx) about 25 years ago. Play was first delayed due to overnight rain. Eventually after sitting around from about 9am until 3pm, they decided that play was on. After about 1 hour of play they decided to stop due to bad light, even though it was still pretty good visibility, and thus disappointed thousands of spectators. I decided there and then that I would never go to a live match again.   [:@] 

[quote user="NCFC-47"] yeah iwan played aswell broke his finger lol[/quote]nothing compared to the injuries we had yesterday!Adam has broken his foot and Michael has torn his cruciate i think!

After I was nearly beaten up, post-match, for accidentally "retiring hurt" one of the opposing batsmen ( I don''t suppose the shout "Howzat ! B B W !!!!" as he lay on the floor clutching his jewels really helped, I know, I know, I just got caught up in the moment...), I''ve never bowled since. Not really my fault, I didn''t ask him to put himself in harms'' way to a fairly innocuous ball, but it kind of put me off a bit.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="NCFC-47"] yeah iwan played aswell broke his finger lol[/quote]nothing compared to the injuries we had yesterday!Adam has broken his foot and Michael has torn his cruciate i think![/quote]really? blooomin hell jas ! gets better for us good perfomance yesterday though but i dont like playing in defence lol! im rubbish

[quote user="paul moy"]Incredibly boring. My first and last live cricket match was when I went with my brother-in-law to Hove (Hampshire v Middx) about 25 years ago. Play was first delayed due to overnight rain. Eventually after sitting around from about 9am until 3pm, they decided that play was on. After about 1 hour of play they decided to stop due to bad light, even though it was still pretty good visibility, and thus disappointed thousands of spectators. I decided there and then that I would never go to a live match again.   [:@] [/quote]That''s the equivalent of your first football match being a 0-0 between Wimbledon and Stockport in pouring rain at Plough Lane that is called off after 30 minutes because of a waterlogged pitch!The trouble with cricket, and this is not meant to be patronising, is that unless you''ve played the game it is bound to be difficult to understand, because it is so subtle and complicated. It''s the same with chess.

Can''t remember the last cricket match I went to, but only because we had drained the Kensington Oval in Barbados of all of their rum....

"Test cricket is still the most comprehensive and demanding format in all sporting competition, psychologically and physically, simultaneously examing a diverse range of individual skills as well as fitness, teamwork, team spirit and tactical control"

really?

I think they guys who ride the Tour de France might argue that cycling over 2000 miles up mountains over three weeks is a bit more demanding that standing in a field for 5 days with the occasional light jog.

Tennis players might also have a pretty good case.

In fact its hard to think of sports which are less physically demanding... golf? oo and darts, thats about it.

If you want a sport that "simultaneously examines a diverse range of individual skills as well as fitness, teamwork, team spirit and tactical control" you''d probably do best to start watching American Football.

Any game that goes on for 5 days and ends in a draw because it starts to drizzle is not for me, thought playing it might change my mind but honestly i didn''t touch the ball for the first 30 minutes, think your brought up with it or not!

I agree to an extent. I couldn''t get excited by County Cricket, let alone Village Green Cricket, but I went to the SWALEC for the 20/20 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle, the banter and the beer. Much more like a football match, with funny chants, but you can drink alcohol in your seat.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]Incredibly boring. My first and last live cricket match was when I went with my brother-in-law to Hove (Hampshire v Middx) about 25 years ago. Play was first delayed due to overnight rain. Eventually after sitting around from about 9am until 3pm, they decided that play was on. After about 1 hour of play they decided to stop due to bad light, even though it was still pretty good visibility, and thus disappointed thousands of spectators. I decided there and then that I would never go to a live match again.   [:@] [/quote]

That''s the equivalent of your first football match being a 0-0 between Wimbledon and Stockport in pouring rain at Plough Lane that is called off after 30 minutes because of a waterlogged pitch!

The trouble with cricket, and this is not meant to be patronising, is that unless you''ve played the game it is bound to be difficult to understand, because it is so subtle and complicated. It''s the same with chess.

[/quote]

I''m not so sure that that''s a good analogy, having played chess against a former British number 1 and a World number 2...... LOL 

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]Incredibly boring. My first and last live cricket match was when I went with my brother-in-law to Hove (Hampshire v Middx) about 25 years ago. Play was first delayed due to overnight rain. Eventually after sitting around from about 9am until 3pm, they decided that play was on. After about 1 hour of play they decided to stop due to bad light, even though it was still pretty good visibility, and thus disappointed thousands of spectators. I decided there and then that I would never go to a live match again.   [:@] [/quote]That''s the equivalent of your first football match being a 0-0 between Wimbledon and Stockport in pouring rain at Plough Lane that is called off after 30 minutes because of a waterlogged pitch!The trouble with cricket, and this is not meant to be patronising, is that unless you''ve played the game it is bound to be difficult to understand, because it is so subtle and complicated. It''s the same with chess.[/quote]

I''m not so sure that that''s a good analogy, having played chess against a former British number 1 and a World number 2...... LOL 

[/quote]Perhaps I''m missing something, but I don''t see how your chess experience (which probably trumps mine - my top-ranked opponent was the Gambian open champion) makes my analogy a bad one. The opposite, if anything. You must know that chess is pretty incomprehensible unless you''ve played the game, and the same pretty much applies to cricket at all but the lowest, most obvious level of a ball being bowled and the ball being hit.

but doesn''t that apply to pretty much every sport & game? Especially those where you are competing directly against your opponent.