Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rays funds for FONCY with the Pink un Pickers

[quote user="Shyster"]AFC Wimbledon versus Bath City - Home Win

I was thinking of going for an away victory for Shrewsbury over Gillingham to garner a better price than all the ''obvious'' home win forecasts thus far, but ''The Butler'' has always struck me as a safety first, speculate to accumulate second type of fella - he''s not alone though - I seriously think most of you pups are more concerned about your standings in the League Table.

Talking of the pups League Table, I''d like to put forth a suggestion to Nigel: If anybody selects and forecasts an away victory and it comes up trumps, I really think it''d be a good idea to award bonus point/s.

It would be a great incentive to people to be more speculative, hence more bunce for the academy [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Whilst i agree in principle with your suggestion, i''m sure Nutty has enough on his plate keeping up with everything as it is.  However one other suggestion i''d like to put in is to have a minimum odds on the selection of like 1/10 or something.  Having seen Barca and Ajax are around 1/16 this week (so in terms of our bet it adds around 6% then another 6 % to the total return meaning we''re only adding around 1.20 to our stake if both win which is pitiful.) and this suggestion is on the back of my winning nap last week which steamed in at 1/19 [;)]  You could quite easily find a nap which would be at least 1/10 if not smaller every week if you look hard enough

Anyways my nap for this week

I''m going for RANGERS to beat Hamilton at around 4/11, should be a fairly routine win imho.  Was tempted to go with Ajax or Barca but theres enough votes for them already.

Good luck guys

[quote user="jed exodous"]

I was thinking of going for an away victory for Shrewsbury over Gillingham to garner a better price than all the ''obvious'' home win forecasts thus far, but ''The Butler'' has always struck me as a safety first, speculate to accumulate second type of fella - he''s not alone though - I seriously think most of you pups are more concerned about your standings in the League Table.

Talking of the pups League Table, I''d like to put forth a suggestion to Nigel: If anybody selects and forecasts an away victory and it comes up trumps, I really think it''d be a good idea to award bonus point/s.

It would be a great incentive to people to be more speculative, hence more bunce for the academy [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Whilst i agree in principle with your suggestion, i''m sure Nutty has enough on his plate keeping up with everything as it is.  However one other suggestion i''d like to put in is to have a minimum odds on the selection of like 1/10 or something.  Having seen Barca and Ajax are around 1/16 this week (so in terms of our bet it adds around 6% then another 6 % to the total return meaning we''re only adding around 1.20 to our stake if both win which is pitiful.) and this suggestion is on the back of my winning nap last week which steamed in at 1/19 [;)]  You could quite easily find a nap which would be at least 1/10 if not smaller every week if you look hard enough

I''m going for RANGERS to beat Hamilton at around 4/11, should be a fairly routine win imho.  Was tempted to go with Ajax or Barca but theres enough votes for them already.

Good luck guys

[/quote]

Must admit there is a point to be made here, it must be easy to pick a winner every week if going for the 1/10 or close shots, there is more of a challenge finding some value.  But I''m not sure this very worthy cause/thread is the place for such intricasies.

[quote user="SWP Poor Mans Ruel Fox"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

Good luck guys

[/quote]

Must admit there is a point to be made here, it must be easy to pick a winner every week if going for the 1/10 or close shots, there is more of a challenge finding some value.  But I''m not sure this very worthy cause/thread is the place for such intricasies.

[/quote]

All great suggestions from you PUPs but I think we should keep it simple and I''ll try to explain why.

When we first started these threads there was no PUPs competition or league. We just tried to help Ray over the line with his accumulator. But Ray saw the potential and a poster came out of the blue and suggested we should approach Billy Dixon for sponsorship. None of you knew this at the time but Ray had just received some bad news from the hospital and on the way home he went in to see Billy who took to the idea of sponsoring the free bet and suddenly we had a purpose. When I spoke to Ray this whole thing had given him a lift and he spent far more time telling me about Billy and the free bet than he did his bad news.

At the time we just made selections and Ray asked for volunteers to select the final six. That week would then end and another would start and that was that. Then after a while I noticed that a lot of pickers were mentioning that they had been right a couple of times or were apologising for being wrong and being double determined to make up for it the next week. So oneday I suggested to Ray that I keep a tally of the selections and we have a league table amongst ourselves. He thought it was a good idea so the PUPs league started. Then a few days later ray called me and said "do you know Eddie, I believe this league will be the making of the free bet, it will appeal to peoples competitive nature and the final selections can only benefit from it". And he was right, it helped to focus minds. Over night PUPs began to take much more time over their selections and the potential that Ray had seen came to fruit. The PUPs league helped us win more.

So what does it matter if a selection is 1/16 or 2/1? If it''s a winner and we get six winners we will add to the next cheque. We don''t need value because we can''t lose. We are betting with Billy''s money. So we leave it to the individual who''s making the final selections. It''s his choice to discard matches at shorter odds than 1/10 if he wants to. He can add an away win if he wants to. Mr Bump was right 39 times from 40 last season so I''m sure many people making the final selections would think "ok I just need 5 more"! But Ray and I always said there would be no censorship. At the end of the opening post the free bet is handed over to the PUP making the final selections and they are in charge. They have our suggestions and it''s totally up to them what they do with them. But they do it without censorship or criticism.

Our wins have been anywhere between £18 and £150. Last season we won seven times totalling £241. If we had to supply the stake we would have lost £159! But Billy pays so every win is a win. So I think we should carry on as we are and let each of the PUPs making the final selections decide which games to pick.

I think I''ve probably lost you all by now, but I really hope what I have said makes some sense.

Welcome to the free bet Herman[Y]

For the resource library I mainly use -

- Goalwire, you can follow the scores in live games, but if you click on ''statistics & tables'' you can search through the leagues, fixtures and there are lots of stats to aid you -

http://www.goalwire.com/

For my nap this week I am off to the Ukraine -

Dynamo Kiev vs. Metalurg Zaporizhya - home win

Dynamo are second in the league after 8 games, Metalurg are bottom. 

Dynamo last 6 home league games - P6 W5 D1 L0 F10 A2. 

Metalurg last 6 away league games - P6 W1 D0 L5 F1 A7

So it''s Dynamo who are strong at home against Metalurg who aren''t very good away and struggle to score for my nap this week.  It looks like an odds on home victory.

Good luck everyone, best of luck The Butler[:)][Y]

Hi all! Sorry I couldn''t make the presentation night Nutty but I''m one of those far flung Canaries who have (temporarily) migrated to warmer climates. (Anyone else out here fancy starting a "Middle East Canary Club[^o)] ?)  It looks like a fun time was had by all though.

Back to business and my pick for this week is a home win for AJAX.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="SWP Poor Mans Ruel Fox"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

Good luck guys

[/quote]

[/quote]

All great suggestions from you PUPs but I think we should keep it simple and I''ll try to explain why.

When we first started these threads there was no PUPs competition or league. We just tried to help Ray over the line with his accumulator. But Ray saw the potential and a poster came out of the blue and suggested we should approach Billy Dixon for sponsorship. None of you knew this at the time but Ray had just received some bad news from the hospital and on the way home he went in to see Billy who took to the idea of sponsoring the free bet and suddenly we had a purpose. When I spoke to Ray this whole thing had given him a lift and he spent far more time telling me about Billy and the free bet than he did his bad news.

At the time we just made selections and Ray asked for volunteers to select the final six. That week would then end and another would start and that was that. Then after a while I noticed that a lot of pickers were mentioning that they had been right a couple of times or were apologising for being wrong and being double determined to make up for it the next week. So oneday I suggested to Ray that I keep a tally of the selections and we have a league table amongst ourselves. He thought it was a good idea so the PUPs league started. Then a few days later ray called me and said "do you know Eddie, I believe this league will be the making of the free bet, it will appeal to peoples competitive nature and the final selections can only benefit from it". And he was right, it helped to focus minds. Over night PUPs began to take much more time over their selections and the potential that Ray had seen came to fruit. The PUPs league helped us win more.

So what does it matter if a selection is 1/16 or 2/1? If it''s a winner and we get six winners we will add to the next cheque. We don''t need value because we can''t lose. We are betting with Billy''s money. So we leave it to the individual who''s making the final selections. It''s his choice to discard matches at shorter odds than 1/10 if he wants to. He can add an away win if he wants to. Mr Bump was right 39 times from 40 last season so I''m sure many people making the final selections would think "ok I just need 5 more"! But Ray and I always said there would be no censorship. At the end of the opening post the free bet is handed over to the PUP making the final selections and they are in charge. They have our suggestions and it''s totally up to them what they do with them. But they do it without censorship or criticism.

Our wins have been anywhere between £18 and £150. Last season we won seven times totalling £241. If we had to supply the stake we would have lost £159! But Billy pays so every win is a win. So I think we should carry on as we are and let each of the PUPs making the final selections decide which games to pick.

I think I''ve probably lost you all by now, but I really hope what I have said makes some sense.

[/quote]

No worrys mate.  Your doing a great job and its for a great cause and as you so rightly point out, we, nor the club have nothing to lose in this.  I also admire your loyalty to Ray in keeping this as he would''ve wanted it, i''m sure he would be very proud of his creation.

Good luck pups...

Going for an away win which is a risky thing to do particularly after my inauspicious start.

West Ham v Chelsea

Arsenal vs Bolton - home win.

Hopefully my fantasy team captain for the week, Andrei Arshavin can bag a hatrick too.[:)]

Good luck all.

As it looks like there are a lot of similar bets being made I''ll try and offer you something else that seems a dead cert.

FC Copenhhagen Vs Silkeborg IF Home Win

And Nutty as away next week I''d like to go for Chelsea Home Win (Sunday 19th Sept)

I''d like to join Broadslim in welcoming Herman to the thread. Also Barclay Hero and Newcastle uni canary. Great to have you onboard and good luck for the season[Y]

For my suggestion I''m going to Sweden where they are nearly three quarters through their season. Helsingborgs, who are just 2 points behind leaders Malmo, are at home to Gefle who are struggling at the other end of the table. Helsinborgs will be disappointed if they don''t get the three points here.

Helsingborgs    V    Gefle     Home Win

Good luck all[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]As Eddie says, this is what the Free Bet thread is all about. As much as we see a lot more 1/10 naps these days, we win a lot more than in those first heady days. It doesn''t seem long ago when we would have only 10/15 naps and all from the English and Scottish leagues. Adding the PUP''s league has added that extra edge to what was already the best thread on the pink''un. We now get naps from leagues even I have never heard of, and as we have found, those leagues continually do well (apart from the ones I dabble in for sentimentality...)Ray was always quick to defend those short naps, because our goal is to get 6 winners (back in day I remember making 7 and it came in...) so giving your best possible nap is the key. Often we get multiple naps of the same fixture, in those times it is of course as useful to go something longer to help the picker out. As a previous picker those numbers weighing behind a certain team can boost my confidence in it (and I''m telling you when you look for those 6 it''s bloody helpful!!!) but equally those out of the blue naps help draw attention to fixtures I might not even be aware of. You will often see me, amongst others, going for these obscure ones and certainly that''s my logic in picking them.At the end of the day it''s up to the individual how much attention they put into the PUP''s league and equally what happens behind those numbers. Inch High for example won the PUP''s league season before last picking in leagues that were the most volatile. For me personally, that number next to my name "carved with pride", that is the real deal for me (I''ll get to 4 next time, I can''t be as unlucky as last time.... I swear...)Onto my nap, and I haven''t seen an MLS fixture up here on a while. So after my trip to NYC last week, it is only fitting that I go for the Canadians to get one over them: Toronto FC to beat DC United. Both have been pretty poor, but Toronto are one of the best teams at home, and only Henry and co. at NY could beat em over the border. DC have picked up 5 points away from home in 23 games.... Make of that what you will.Best of luck to all the PUP''s and to The Butler!

[Y]Cheers for the welcome guys,it''s good to join in and,fingers crossed,help in raising some cash.

In agreement with Nutty Nigel and am also going for a home win for Helsingborgs v. Gefle.

Helsingborgs are W9 D1 L0 F19 A8 at home and Gefle are W3 D1 L6 F10 A12 away.

Good Luck, the Butler!

Good luck Butler, sure it will be a good week for you.I''m off to Spain this week, where I fully expect:Barcelona to beat HerculesGood luck Butler and all you Pups.