Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

@ ontheballcity.com 'Our best chance, and possibly our last of reaching the promised land?'

My first blog. I know its been talked about a lot before but I thought I would add my 2 pennies worth.[url]http://www.ontheballcity.com/our-best-chance-and-possibly-our-last-of-reaching-the-promised-land/[/url]Thanks,EC

I think is is pure quality for a lad of your age mate! [Y] I am 16 and could only dream of being able to do things like this. [:$]

Well done mate, keep it up. [:)]

[quote user="Brendo "]

I think is is pure quality for a lad of your age mate! [Y] I am 16 and could only dream of being able to do things like this. [:$]

Well done mate, keep it up. [:)]

[/quote]Thank you [:)] Pahaha, I''m sure you could do better than that [:P]

A very good topic and some poignant thoughts to our future. It will undoutedly be harder in the coming seasons.

One discrepancy, the parachute payments are going to be £16 mil year 1 and 2 then £8 mil year 3 and 4

Another nitpicking point is that it has nothing to do with the FA, the agreements are made between the Premier League and the Football League. The FA are only responsible for the England team and the development of "grassroots" football.Also, teams don''t receive £90m for being in the Premier League for one year, that money includes the one year in the EPL and the 4 years of parachute payments.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Also, teams don''t receive £90m for being in the Premier League for one year, that money includes the one year in the EPL and the 4 years of parachute payments.[/quote]"Winning promotion earnt them something in the region of 90million as a club"What''s not to say he wasn''t referring to money earned in subsequent payments, as much as the initial first year payments? That quote is not strictly limited to the first year of payments, and in essence such an achievement does ensure at least that amount of money received by the club.A really good first attempt EC, especially for someone of your age. [Y]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Another nitpicking point is that it has nothing to do with the FA, the agreements are made between the Premier League and the Football League. The FA are only responsible for the England team and the development of "grassroots" football.Also, teams don''t receive £90m for being in the Premier League for one year, that money includes the one year in the EPL and the 4 years of parachute payments.[/quote]When they got promoted I am sure in the newspaper and SSN. it added up all the stuff that they would make money from and it was about 90 million. TV money and stuff? I might be wrong tho [Y]And sorry about the FA and parachute payment mistakes, I assumed FA was in control of the Premiership [:S]Thanks for the comments.[:)]

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Another nitpicking point is that it has nothing to do with the FA, the agreements are made between the Premier League and the Football League. The FA are only responsible for the England team and the development of "grassroots" football.Also, teams don''t receive £90m for being in the Premier League for one year, that money includes the one year in the EPL and the 4 years of parachute payments.[/quote]When they got promoted I am sure in the newspaper and SSN. it added up all the stuff that they would make money from and it was about 90 million. TV money and stuff? I might be wrong tho [Y]And sorry about the FA and parachute payment mistakes, I assumed FA was in control of the Premiership [:S]Thanks for the comments.[:)][/quote]I think I was in a particularly per-snickity mood last night of a day of editing pieces written by so called professionals. Trust me, yours was probably the best piece I had read all day!It was widely reported that 1 year in the EPL = an estimated £90m cash (including TV, increased revenue and parachute payments of a total of £48m for the 4 years following relegation). Being in my most pedantic frame of mind it wasn''t clear if you were suggesting a team would receive £90m cash then after that another £48m in parachute payments.Sorry for the over the top criticism, it is an incredibly well written piece, it reads very well and is of a good length; many blog writers seem to love the sound of their own voice (look of their own text?) and ramble on for ever and ever. Are you thinking about becoming a writer/jurno in the future?You would think the FA would control the Premier League wouldn''t you, would seem to make sense. But the EPL is a self-governing body, which goes to explaining a lot really...

Very good post, for his age. Well done Excited Canary. It is great to see fans having the opportunity to have their say. Great site.

Really good first post EC. Very well done. I''ve seen you do some very good match previews on here, with my reports on ontheballcity.com, we could do a sort of co-partnership of sorts? Let me know if you''re interested.

SP

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]

Really good first post EC. Very well done. I''ve seen you do some very good match previews on here, with my reports on ontheballcity.com, we could do a sort of co-partnership of sorts? Let me know if you''re interested.

SP

[/quote]Thanks for the appreciation. I might be interested, yeah, but what sort of thing do you mean by co-partnership?Thanks,EC

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Another nitpicking point is that it has nothing to do with the FA, the agreements are made between the Premier League and the Football League. The FA are only responsible for the England team and the development of "grassroots" football.Also, teams don''t receive £90m for being in the Premier League for one year, that money includes the one year in the EPL and the 4 years of parachute payments.[/quote]When they got promoted I am sure in the newspaper and SSN. it added up all the stuff that they would make money from and it was about 90 million. TV money and stuff? I might be wrong tho [Y]And sorry about the FA and parachute payment mistakes, I assumed FA was in control of the Premiership [:S]Thanks for the comments.[:)][/quote]I think I was in a particularly per-snickity mood last night of a day of editing pieces written by so called professionals. Trust me, yours was probably the best piece I had read all day!It was widely reported that 1 year in the EPL = an estimated £90m cash (including TV, increased revenue and parachute payments of a total of £48m for the 4 years following relegation). Being in my most pedantic frame of mind it wasn''t clear if you were suggesting a team would receive £90m cash then after that another £48m in parachute payments.Sorry for the over the top criticism, it is an incredibly well written piece, it reads very well and is of a good length; many blog writers seem to love the sound of their own voice (look of their own text?) and ramble on for ever and ever. Are you thinking about becoming a writer/jurno in the future?You would think the FA would control the Premier League wouldn''t you, would seem to make sense. But the EPL is a self-governing body, which goes to explaining a lot really...[/quote]I hadn''t really thought about it until I did my first Match Preview on here and it went down well, and someone asked me the same question. It made me think, and I love writing so it may be for me. My mum has always enjoyed my stories in English and stuff and English is my top subject but I doubt whether I have enough ability to become a Journo. But ya never know!

Good piece of work, nice one.

If you love writing, then write! You don''t need to be a journalist to write about football, and, if you''ve ability, you can do better and do more in so many other ways.

Keep on writing!

I think your writing is good, but your central argument is flawed.  In paragraph one, you say that:

Promoted teams gaining so much money

when they go up, and then if they come back down they get the 4 million

pound parachute payments for 2 years. Teams like Blackpool, who in all

honesty won’t stay up this year, will probably be set for life!

But then you point out that..."Pompey & Hull in somewhat financial meltdown." (sic)And there are a number of relegated clubs who have struggled hugely after relegation - Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Derby....So don''t be so sure that promotion to the Prem is a pass for ever more to bounce between the divisions.  West Brom, yes - Newcastle, yes - but the list of fails is as great as the list of successes.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think your writing is good, but your central argument is flawed.  In paragraph one, you say that:

Promoted teams gaining so much money

when they go up, and then if they come back down they get the 4 million

pound parachute payments for 2 years. Teams like Blackpool, who in all

honesty won’t stay up this year, will probably be set for life!

But then you point out that..."Pompey & Hull in somewhat financial meltdown." (sic)And there are a number of relegated clubs who have struggled hugely after relegation - Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Derby....So don''t be so sure that promotion to the Prem is a pass for ever more to bounce between the divisions.  West Brom, yes - Newcastle, yes - but the list of fails is as great as the list of successes.[/quote]

Those 2 teams spent stupid money on rubbish players, leaving them in a mess. Blackpool will be much better off having not wasted hoards of money. And Herman, yeah I am getting around to doing the preview now[:)]