Sign in to follow this  
Twitchy

One club players

[quote user="Davo"]

I often wonder if there was a better player to play less than 10 times for England than Le Tiss.

Davo

Alan Hudson and Kevin Reeves

[/quote]

In March, Drury would have been with us for ten years so do you reckon he will have a testimonial (sp) in the next pre season?  I would hope so and he definately deserves one.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Matt Le Tissier was a fantastic player. i dongt think there was a better footballer in this country (possibly in Europe) than Le tiss in the 90''s. i was watching some footy vids on you tube the other day and one of them was a compilation of Le Tissiers goals... the one against man utd where he beats 5 defenders then nonchalently lobs schmeichal is a beauty! 8 caps for England and only 1 of them as a start.... how different could euro 96 and world cup 98 been had Tiss been in the side?[/quote]

Err... Zidane? Luis Figo? Ronaldo? Cantona? Giggs? The list of better players that Le Tiss in the 90s is very long.

Of all Le Tissier''s England performances he was pretty pants in all honesty, found it very hard to fit into a team that wasn''t centred around him. As someone mentioned he was never really tested at the highest level so it is hard to judge just how good a player he was, he looked great in a very average Southampton team, but when surrounded by other star players when playing for England he really didn''t look so good.

Was known for having a massive ego also, and his fitness always suffered due to him feeling he didn''t need to train as hard as everyone else.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]As good as LeTiss was (and he was more than good), surely the most famous one-club players are the two who are still performing at the highest level with outstanding ability to this day - and whilst they are still playing, the likelihood of them leaving their club before their careers finish is pretty slim.  Ladies and gents, I present to you... Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Thank you, and good night...[/quote]

The difference between Le Tiss and Giggs and Scholes is the fact they play for possibly the biggest club in the world where as Tiss played for an average sized club and did not allow the pound signs to come between his loyalty towards his club. For that alone i think he stands out as the best one club player.

[quote user="Whittles Windmill"]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Keelan?[/quote]

Keelan went on to play in the states and i believe he played for lower league teams,Wrexham was one if my memory recalls.

[/quote]  Also Stockport, Arthur.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Whittles Windmill"]

Keelan went on to play in the states and i believe he played for lower league teams,Wrexham was one if my memory recalls.

[/quote]

Yes indeed he did Beausant well remembered

[quote user="Whittles Windmill"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Whittles Windmill"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Also Kidderminster and Aston Villa. He played under Joe Mercer at Villa and in his book he tells of a different side to Mercer than the one we all imagine!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Whittles Windmill"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Whittles Windmill"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Also Kidderminster and Aston Villa. He played under Joe Mercer at Villa and in his book he tells of a different side to Mercer than the one we all imagine!

I cant recall him playing for Villa, when was this NN? I''ve yet to read the book in all my sins!

[/quote]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Matt Le Tissier was a fantastic player. i dongt think there was a better footballer in this country (possibly in Europe) than Le tiss in the 90''s.

i was watching some footy vids on you tube the other day and one of them was a compilation of Le Tissiers goals... the one against man utd where he beats 5 defenders then nonchalently lobs schmeichal is a beauty!

8 caps for England and only 1 of them as a start.... how different could euro 96 and world cup 98 been had Tiss been in the side?[/quote]Would you have dropped Gazza during Euro 96? No way could have both played in the same.

Keelan was at Villa as a junior where he learned his trade from their goalkeeper of the time Nigel Sims. In his book Keelan says tells how Sims taught him never to be beaten at the near post. He tied his leg to the post with an old neck tie and got the other players to shoot at him from very close range. The great man says "it was a painful routine as I was getting hit all over my body, but there was no escape and to protect myself I had to try and get my hands and arms in front of everything". This is where much of his bravery came from. I reckon he was there for 3 years but made a mistake in his 5th match after which "kind cuddly Joe" told him he would never play again. He didn''t and went to Stockport for just 3 games but couldn''t settle. He went back to Kidderminster part-time, disillusioned and got a job as a lorry loader. But he was soon back when offered a place at Wrexham by a former Villa player who was assistant manager there.

The books old Arthur and I doubt you can buy it new anymore. My copy is well tatty because I''ve had it 30 years but if we ever meet up for that beer I''ll lend it to you[B][Y]

Thanks Beau,

I found it impressive that Kevin Reeves played 333 games in his career and yet retired at 26. A career average of 1 goal in every 3.23 is not bad eitehr for a young player.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

Thanks Beau,

I found it impressive that Kevin Reeves played 333 games in his career and yet retired at 26. A career average of 1 goal in every 3.23 is not bad eitehr for a young player.

Davo

[/quote]

Reeves was superb, and it was tragic that injury cut his career so short. He had such a sharp football brain and could make or score goals.

I remember dragging three of my university house mates to an FA Cup replay against Orient in the mid 70s. They supported Spurs, Everton and Liverpool and only really came for a midweek road trip, but they all left the ground raving about Reeves (even though we lost!)

[quote user="Niaga Dessip"]NN, What is the title of Keelan''s book? I am sure you are right about it being out of print, but I would like to try to track a copy down. ND[/quote]

The book is :-

KEELAN The Story Of A Goalkeeper by Philip Webster.

First published in November 1979 (George Nobbs Publishing)

Printed in Great Britain by Euromedia Print Ltd. Norwich.

The introduction is by John Bond and chapters  " From Calcutta to Kidderminster", "The Boot from Joe Mercer and the road to Norwich", "The Wild Years", "The Hothead", "Enter the Iron Man", The jigsaw fits and the miracle happens", "Wembley... exit the Iron Man", "Upheaval", "The businessman", "Tears", "John Bond", "The Cat", "Old Pals" "Once a playboy", "Reflections" and "The Survivor". There are a few really good black & white pictures too!

Am I teasing you[:^)][:P]

Hope you find a copy[Y]