Sign in to follow this  
bgc

4-4-2 against Forest??

Just seen in the ''Crofts ready for return to action'' that Lambert stated we played 4-4-2 against Forest, something I hadn''t realised before. Was Korey playing on the right and tucking in then, whilst Wes was the creative force on the left?

If we did, it was a diamond formation.That would of meant Hoolahan was sitting a little deeper (that would make sense, with him performing some decent defensive duties throughout the game), Crofts may have been pushed a little more forward, with Surman and Smith in wider positions. Though i don''t think it was a flat 4-4-2 by any means.As for the "wider" thing, it seems an odd method to go by in an away game against a team with such good home form, at least on face value. However it of course worked, and the potential damage Forest could of caused from the wings was probably minimized as a result, and in that any threat Nottingham Forest had against us in fact.If i''d of been told we''d be playing a wider formation before the game against Forest, i must say that for however much i rate Lambert, i would of doubted his judgement. Lesson learned.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]if we went 442 then Surman was on the left and Hoolahan in central midfield with Crofts.[/quote]would never work,. Wes is far too light weight for centre mid.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]if we went 442 then Surman was on the left and Hoolahan in central midfield with Crofts.[/quote]

would never work,. Wes is far too light weight for centre mid.
[/quote]

It worked perfectly well when tried several times last season so I can''t see why not.  He gets stuck in and wins his share of tackles.

It was a bit of a hybrid. Korey played right and Surman left, but while Wes dropped back when we were under pressure, he was still allowed to roam across the pitch when we had the ball. The plan seemed to be to be tight and compact in the middle and force Forest to knock long passes out to the wings, giving a wide midfielder the time to shuffle across and double up with the fullback to stop the cross. It looked very fluid and the players were very well disciplined, resulting in the fullbacks not being exposed like they were against Watford.