Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horn

Contradictory quote time

Just seen a story on the EEN website about free bus service from William IV pub in Thorpe to Carrow Road for fans on matchdays.  I was somewhat bemused however by the landlord''s quote.....

Pub landlord Ian Stolady is offering the service from the William IV pub in Quebec Road, Thorpe Hamlet.

He said: “It''s to help out my customers and also to help the law by ensuring that no one drinks and drives.

“Customers can leave their cars on our car park, and we will then run them down to the ground on matchdays.

Presumably they will be staying the night at the pub and leaving their cars in the car park!!!

Or slowly sobering up before they drive home?!

Clever thing is, it means that they have to go back via the pub to get home = drown sorrows or celebrate a win!

Win/Win situ for the pub!

You cynical lot.

So I can go to the pub, have three pints (legal after two hours of burn-off @ one pint per hour?) get a lift to the ground without worrying about driving or parking or parking fees and (presumably) get a lift back to my car to enjoy "City" talk and have another pintish before driving home (legally?)

Please give credit for enterprising initiative where it''s due, without looking to be critical.

P.S. Apparently us old boys, with more than a few years quaffing behind us burn alcohol off with a lot of efficiency.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

You cynical lot.

So I can go to the pub, have three pints (legal after two hours of burn-off @ one pint per hour?) get a lift to the ground without worrying about driving or parking or parking fees and (presumably) get a lift back to my car to enjoy "City" talk and have another pintish before driving home (legally?)

Please give credit for enterprising initiative where it''s due, without looking to be critical.

P.S. Apparently us old boys, with more than a few years quaffing behind us burn alcohol off with a lot of efficiency.

[/quote]

You must be way more efficient than anyone else Broadstairs - most people burn off alcohol at one unit (ie a half pint) per hour....[;)]

I have my liver well trained, although the occasional course of milk thistle doesn''t go amiss.

I was told that the average person burns off twenty units per hour, but physical activty eg. going up/down all those steps to the toilets in the Barclay, increases this. 

Speaking of strange quotes, look at this one taken from BBC website from Alex Ferguson:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8983208.stm

"Let''s put it to bed straightaway. I am not discussing any of my players'' personal lives," said the Scot.

Should that be said with no pun intended at the end!

Not surprisingly, it is difficult to find a government website that answers this question, probably because everyone''s body is different.  The general consensus is that it takes around 1 hour to burn 1 unit of alcohol.  http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100211113156AAL0ef2

1 unit of alcohol is half a pint of 3.5% beer.  The levels were set years ago. and most beers these days are much stronger than that. For example, a bottle of Bud would probably take nearer an hour and a half to burn off. 

The legal driving limit equates to around 4 units.

Personally, I think this landlord is an absolute twat who doesn''t deserve a license to serve alcohol.

Physical activity is important.

Attending a football games is, in all sorts of small ways, more physical than being a couch potato. I sometimes have to "sprint" to the toile for goodness saket. You also use up alcohol through the breath and excitement , singing, booing, jumping up etc, all achieve this.

Mind you, Grant Holt''s goals have left me breathless on occasions. Clearly a negative in burning off the stuff.

As you said, everybody differs. We know our own limitations and I would never drink and drive if I thought I was a fraction over the legal limit.

The landlord you derail is coming up with an initiative. At the end of the day he has, like all pub landlords, limited  control over the activities of the people who use his pub.