Sign in to follow this  
26mjw

Mark Robins

http://thirdlion.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/mark-robins/By my reckoning, some of the users of this board weren''t alive to see his glorious debut in canary colours, but who remembers it? A fantastic start to a fantastic season. Really do hope he does well with Barnsley.

Like so many of that era, had we of hung on to them for that bit longer could truly developed into one of our greats. Ashley Ward also falls into this category.

remember meeting him and Megson in Bonds''s as it was then the Monday after his double at Highbury, real nice guy

For me that afternoon at Highbury was one of those moments which I will never forget. I wasn''t at the game but when the news came through on the radio of what was going on it was just stunning. I don''t think anyone had any expectations other than a bit of a drubbing but Robins'' performance that day was in one of the great all time memorable Norwich matches

It was a first game of the season jumpstart, and probably had a lot to do with us having the confidence that we could do this. We were top until January I believe that season.

Walker always maintained he told Robins to "go out there and get a couple of goals". What a manager!

I was at a wedding that day and remember sitting at the back for the service with my earphone firmly in place. Celebrated hard that night, what a great result. Fantastic memories of those days. Little old Norwich and our team of cast offs flying high....

Will never happen again unfortunately...

[quote user="thirdlion v2"]http://thirdlion.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/mark-robins/

By my reckoning, some of the users of this board weren''t alive to see his glorious debut in canary colours, but who remembers it? A fantastic start to a fantastic season. Really do hope he does well with Barnsley.
[/quote] Well I was there and saw a lot of games that season...Mark was great for us, along with Sutton...etc...etc...I hope he gets a good welcome from the City fans. He must be a legend here , just because of that achievement, that season... I''ll never forget his goals eg. the way he rang rings around the Arsenal defense in his first game!

Remember watching Ray Stubbs on football scores that afternoon, looking more and more shocked as the game went on.

I actually cried at the end![:$]

Great days and great memories.

I do remember cursing the fact we had appointed Mike Walker on the cheap at half time.........and then singing his praises by 4.45pm. [:D]

I remember coming back from Olympics in Spain into London and hearing that. the car journey back home was wicked.

I was there that day and would still say it was probably my fave city game ever. Standing on the terrace at Highbury 2-0 down at half time against the favourites for the title was no embarrasment. just fantastic

Indeed, what a game and what a season. I was mascot for the next game - home against Chelsea - which made me Norwich''s first (home) Premier League mascot. I was so proud and got to meet all players - including Robins, to whom I remarked that he was my fave player following his antics at Highbury! Happy days.

[quote user="whoareyou"]

I do remember cursing the fact we had appointed Mike Walker on the cheap at half time.........and then singing his praises by 4.45pm. [:D]

[/quote]

Are you 1st Wizard in disguise? [;)]

The brawl for October 1990.  Completely ruined my 14th birthday as I was there and remember it all to well!!!  2-0 up at half time, 2-2, 3-2 up through Sherwood, O''Leary equalised 3-3.  Arsenal got 2 pens that day, the one to make it 2-2 and the winner in injury time to make it 4-3.  Both were 2 of the dodgiest penalties you will ever see and still remember them now.  For the record, the referee was George Tyson and as a result of this game, was struck off the league list!!

That also reminds me of when we conceded a penalty away to Everton in 1988/89.  Putney clearly tacked Gary Stevens (I think) yet the referee (called Penwood/Penrose or something) gave a pen and Everton got away with a 1-1 draw.  That referee was struck off the list also!!

Back to Robins, can anyone remember his hat-trick at Oldham in November 1992 which took us back to the top of the Prem?  Classic stuff and I was there!  I also remember recording the game on SKy (which I still have in the loft somewhere!) and they interviewed Robins dad before the match.  His name was Gordon Robins and was Chief Superintendant at Oldham that night!!  God knows why I remember that... probably because I watched it over and over again at the time! 

[quote user="thirdlion v2"]http://thirdlion.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/mark-robins/By my reckoning, some of the users of this board weren''t alive to see his glorious debut in canary colours, but who remembers it? A fantastic start to a fantastic season. Really do hope he does well with Barnsley.[/quote]Was this the Arsenal 2-0 Norwich (half time), Arsenal 2-4 Norwich (full time)?

Wasn''t the cup final - was the third round, against Forest in 1990 But I think it''s generally accepted that if United had gone out that day Sir Alex would have gone. My computer''s not doing hyperlinks today, but the story is here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/markogden/100004605/sir-alex-ferguson-at-68-20-years-on-from-the-goal-that-saved-him-and-manchester-united/

Has any Norwich signing ever made such an impact? The beginning of that 1992-3 season was just repeatedly jaw-dropping, and Robins was the guy who started it all. Hope he gets a great reception today.

[quote user="flecky76"]

The brawl for October 1990.  Completely ruined my 14th birthday as I was there and remember it all to well!!!  2-0 up at half time, 2-2, 3-2 up through Sherwood, O''Leary equalised 3-3.  Arsenal got 2 pens that day, the one to make it 2-2 and the winner in injury time to make it 4-3.  Both were 2 of the dodgiest penalties you will ever see and still remember them now.  For the record, the referee was George Tyson and as a result of this game, was struck off the league list!!

That also reminds me of when we conceded a penalty away to Everton in 1988/89.  Putney clearly tacked Gary Stevens (I think) yet the referee (called Penwood/Penrose or something) gave a pen and Everton got away with a 1-1 draw.  That referee was struck off the list also!!

Back to Robins, can anyone remember his hat-trick at Oldham in November 1992 which took us back to the top of the Prem?  Classic stuff and I was there!  I also remember recording the game on SKy (which I still have in the loft somewhere!) and they interviewed Robins dad before the match.  His name was Gordon Robins and was Chief Superintendant at Oldham that night!!  God knows why I remember that... probably because I watched it over and over again at the time! 

[/quote]

Yes, a "J.Penrose". Putney''s tackle was on Ian Snodin.

I''ve got the whole of that Oldham game and coverage on video as well! Carlton Palmer was the Sky "analyst", he spent pre-match, half time, and full time talking down Norwich and managed, effortlessly, to show us no respect, or, to be fair, even be interested in the game at all. Probably thought he should have been at a Liverpool vs Man Utd, rather than the likes of Oldham vs Norwich! The second goal, I think, was a breakaway and a tap in for Robins, it followed a brilliant backheel/flick from Darren Beckford, of all people!

Third goal came out of nothing, and right in front of the Norwich fans.