Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

Can we scrap this International Break.

Come to think of it can we stop International matches. Aren''t they a bore and aren''t there too many of them against countries one has never heard of. I am very parocial as far as Football is concerned. Just interested in Norwich City really and Championship Teams. Can we start a movement to ban International breaks and this crap 25 players rule of which 8 must be UK (sort of). Why do Scottish Players count as English? The Netherlands and France are nearer to Norwich than Scotland.

The 8 homegrown don''t need to be any nationality. They just need to have spent three years between the age of 16 and 21 with a club in England or Wales. And what countries you may or may not have heard of speaks a lot more about you than it does about the value of international football.

I disagree completely with scrapping international matches, for many reasons.

As for the home grown player rule i do actually agree with this, I think its actually against EU regulations and if foreign players are recruited young anyway (like fabragas) i think this actually counts as home grown so wont help out national team in these cases anyway

what the FA need to do is invest heavily in grass roots football (take a look at how Holland do it, facilities over there are amazing)

with the Scottish issue its because as a nation we''re British, I think theres a gentlemen''s agreement between Scotland Wales and England to prevent any players not playing for their true sovereign country (although it does seem allowable if they have a scottish grandparent & are not good enough for the English team!)

"As for the home grown player rule i do actually agree with this"

Sorry that should read I agree with you that rule seems pointless, not that I agree with the rule

Seems strange that teams who could well be financially strained and have small squads have to take ''home grown status'' into account when purchasing players.

can we at least keep the championship matches on as there isnt as many players from that league in the internationals. and more premiership players.

theres just no need to have like a two week international break, prefer to have a two week xmas break for our players

[quote user="barclaybabe"]

can we at least keep the championship matches on as there isnt as many players from that league in the internationals. and more premiership players.

theres just no need to have like a two week international break, prefer to have a two week xmas break for our players

[/quote]

If we have a successful season it would be likely a few of our players would get picked for full / under 21 duty. I certainly would not like to play games without Rudd Steer, Hoolahan, Crofts, Smith, Smith and the guy from Man City if he comes on loan. Suppose it would be ok if we were playing Cardiff or Middlesborough though as they would not have any players left. 

Ive stopped watching England.I cant face it, one of my students asked me if I saw the match and I said no on the grounds of being sick of the let down.He said " But England are quality again"..

yup.... just like they were in the run up to the World Cup...Just like we bottled it in he World Cup....Im not gonna get all excited again only for Shrek and co to utterly bottle it under Failio Capello.Not gonna watch another England game until the Italian and a few of the Chelski scummers are gone !

Yes it''s rugby, so doesn''t matter to this forum. But premiership clubs continue every week, when there are internationals, 6 nations, world cup! I''d rather watch city any day than overpaid, pansies, that can''t keep it in their pants!

[quote user="Bobert"]Come to think of it can we stop International matches. Aren''t they a bore and aren''t there too many of them against countries one has never heard of.[/quote]I quite like the World Cup, and the European Championship.

even before the international break, i was still not interested in england at that point, they just let us down all the time,

so glad this break is over, i prefer watching a norwich game any day over watching shrek and the premadonnas x

Why can''t they use the ''off'' summers to do the qualifications. Put the teams in groups of five and spend four weeks in July with two games a week and get them all done.

Seriously?

Yeah thats just what we need, 8 or 10 games crammed into 4 weeks at the end of a season where players could''ve player 50 or 60 games already.  International breaks and more to the point international football is here to stay, get over it.  If you dont wanna watch them or support your country, go do something else for a week, theres a whole world out there ffs.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Why can''t they use the ''off'' summers to do the qualifications. Put the teams in groups of five and spend four weeks in July with two games a week and get them all done.
[/quote]

So basically the best players in the world never get a summer off, hence probably ending their careers at 27/28 instead of mid 30s?