Sign in to follow this  
dpit

The case against an edit button

I am forever reading plaintive pleas on this site for the introduction of an edit button on the MB. I too, have regularly longed for the ability to go back and correct a typo or grammatical howler. However, the introduction of an edit button would also give us the possibility to effectively change history. The whole point of a message board is that once its said...its out there. In the real world, we have all said things we later regret or on reflection would like to rephrase but the point is, we say them, they have an effect (or not) and the world is or isn''t changed as a result. A message board is the same. And a pretty entertaining place as a result.

[quote user="dpit"]I am forever reading plaintive pleas on this site for the introduction of an edit button on the MB. I too, have regularly longed for the ability to go back and correct a typo or grammatical howler. However, the introduction of an edit button would also give us the possibility to effectively change history. The whole point of a message board is that once its said...its out there. In the real world, we have all said things we later regret or on reflection would like to rephrase but the point is, we say them, they have an effect (or not) and the world is or isn''t changed as a result. A message board is the same. And a pretty entertaining place as a result.[/quote]Yeah, but if you could only edit for the first 5 minutes after posting...............like every other damn message boards.

It would cost Archant money to upgrade the message board software plus possible operating system/server changes or upgrades.There''s no money in this message board.  Meanwhile, Archant have a lot of revenue generating websites which need more care and attention.Therefore there''s no commercial benefit to implementing changes to this message board, and the only way an upgrade would happen is as a "freebie" if other broader upgrades were implemented.  That''s the bottom line.

No, even 5 minutes is too long. Too much scope for avoiding the ''doh, wish I hadn''t pushed the post button'' moment.... And all your posts would be consistent and none of the rest of us would have half as much fun.

Doh, that was to Wiz. Should have used the quote button. Chops can you edit your post so mine can go after Wiz''s...Doh!

Ahh, bad times at the pinkun. [:(]

There''s nothing happening (Norwich related) so we are now discussing the edit button in great detail. [|-)]

Except, of course, on other forums there''s always a note on the end of the post when it''s been edited saying when (and possibly why, if the user wishes to disclose this) it happened.

I don''t see the problem of just posting under the wrong post (or correcting it in another post) a better, correct one?

If we just ignored any shortcomings when it came to grammar and spelling the issue wouldn''t matter......That''s the long and short of it.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It would cost Archant money to upgrade the message board software plus possible operating system/server changes or upgrades.There''s no money in this message board.  Meanwhile, Archant have a lot of revenue generating websites which need more care and attention.Therefore there''s no commercial benefit to implementing changes to this message board, and the only way an upgrade would happen is as a "freebie" if other broader upgrades were implemented.  That''s the bottom line.[/quote]A) Upgrading to any of the top 3 most popular forum softwares in the world would cost nothing. They''re freeware and easy to install. They''d not need ''server'' or operating system changes. You''re talking rubbish. If anything switching to a better forum platform would save Archant money as the better forum software would be more efficient on bandwidth usage.B) If there is no money on the forum then why are Archant running Google ads on the forum? They''re there to generate income not to look good.C) Mixing both points A & B together means that there is nothing for Archant to lose. If they improved the forum from the antiquated 90''s crap it is to a modern system they''d get more people browsing and happier posters meaning more traffic to generate more income for Archant.As Jas said there is an edit button in PM''s so it''s just a case that the message board itself is poorly configured. Or for some daft reason edit is disabled.How''s this for irony.. just tried posting and got this:Sorry, an error has occurred.Please refresh this page, or use the back button, and try again in a few moments.If the problem persists please use the ''contact us'' section on this website and let us know the page you were trying to access.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It would cost Archant money to upgrade the message board software plus possible operating system/server changes or upgrades.

There''s no money in this message board.  Meanwhile, Archant have a lot of revenue generating websites which need more care and attention.

Therefore there''s no commercial benefit to implementing changes to this message board, and the only way an upgrade would happen is as a "freebie" if other broader upgrades were implemented.  That''s the bottom line.

[/quote]

Shame they aren''t prepared to spend just a little money on it isn''t it though, there''s hundreds of footy message boards out there which cost very little to run monthly and are miles more up-to-date than this one

Pete will know more as he is more involved than I am with the new CMS system, but a forum upgrade I think is on the cards.

[quote user="Barbie"]Pete will know more as he is more involved than I am with the new CMS system, but a forum upgrade I think is on the cards.[/quote]Every one?  Or just this? Every Archant publication has an online forum.  Most  of which hasn''t had a post for weeks or months.

If you edit a post it usual says underneath the post last edited at *insert date here*. Problem solved?

I find that re-reading my typed post before hitting the ''post'' button mostly overcomes this problem....[:D]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

jsut pveeirw yuor psot bforee you psot it [y]

[/quote]

FFS, you can''t even cock up your own post correctly. "typos" are generally caused by fat fingers or bad typists hitting the wrong key "hust kike thus".

To the point of "changing history"

Well once your text has been quoted in another post, you can''t edit your original words.

At lest one other bulletin board adds the text " lasted edit at ( time ) on ( date ) " so that you know the original post was altered.

It''s just daft that youuu cant eadit any typoos yoo keke,,,

So then you don''t have to do this - repost to fix.

To the point of "changing history".

Once your text has been quoted in another post, you can edit your original words, but it won''t erase your original thought.

At least one other bulletin board I know of adds the text "lasted edit at ( time ) on ( date )" so you know the original post was altered.

It''s just daft that you can''t edit any typos you make..

Or even ..

To the point of "changing history".

Once your text has been quoted in another post, you can edit your original words, but it won''t erase your original thought.

At least one other bulletin board I know of adds the text "last edited at ( time ) on ( date )" so you know the original post was altered.

It''s just daft that you can''t edit any typos you make..

Especially as the forum has been configured to not allow duplicate posts ... sometimes you can''t even fix a typo you know you made...

" At least one other bulletin board I know of adds the text "last edited at ( time ) on ( date )" so you know the original post was altered."

Again it''s just daft that you can''t edit any typos you make..

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]Especially as the forum has been configured to not allow duplicate posts ... sometimes you can''t even fix a typo you know you made...

" At least one other bulletin board I know of adds the text "last edited at ( time ) on ( date )" so you know the original post was altered."

Again it''s just daft that you can''t edit any typos you make..[/quote]

Yeah.... but does it actually matter?Mmmm?