Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Would this work to increase revenue?

It may sound like a bad idea but i got back from Helsinki ,Finland 2 weeks ago. I am not too flush with cash so i stayed in a Youth Hostel for 1 night which cost me 25 euros.In Helsinki there are a few hostels and i was really lucky to get a bed for the night  , only because of a cancellation at 10pm.One of the hostels is actually located in the Olympic stadium  (there was about 150 beds i think)and it is open all year 24 hours.I know we have that monstrosity The Holiday Inn but i am sure with the amount of foreign students/and tourists we get in this fine city who can''t afford their prices,would  they prefer to stay in a hostel actually built into the ground?,could it be workable?do we have the extra space ? " I am not so sure that  the money they would make from it would cover Grant Holt''s wages

[quote user="renegadecanary"]It may sound like a bad idea but i got back from Helsinki ,Finland 2 weeks ago. I am not too flush with cash so i stayed in a Youth Hostel for 1 night which cost me 25 euros.In Helsinki there are a few hostels and i was really lucky to get a bed for the night  , only because of a cancellation at 10pm.One of the hostels is actually located in the Olympic stadium  (there was about 150 beds i think)and it is open all year 24 hours.I know we have that monstrosity The Holiday Inn but i am sure with the amount of foreign students/and tourists we get in this fine city who can''t afford their prices,would  they prefer to stay in a hostel actually built into the ground?,could it be workable?do we have the extra space ? " I am not so sure that  the money they would make from it would cover Grant Holt''s wages[/quote]It wouldn''t be possible unless you knocked down the hotel, or just knocked down its prices!

The problem with Youth Hostels is that they are not an all year round thing and as proof of that you will find that most English hostels are closed mid week in the Winter.... I think there are only four open at Christmas in the whole country.... (The best is in Derbyshire by the way).

There is so much that Carrow Road could be used for but the costs of staffing and insuring the place are enormous. It would need a substantial subsidy from either the City or the County Council, for most events and at this time the funding is just not there.

Both Councils are cutting funding to the bone for all services in line with Central Government directives. If we could move Education, and Social Services,. to either the private sector or to Central Government maybe we could get somewhere however both have been "local" since the Middle Ages.

[quote user="renegadecanary"]It may sound like a bad idea but i got back from Helsinki ,Finland 2 weeks ago. I am not too flush with cash so i stayed in a Youth Hostel for 1 night which cost me 25 euros.In Helsinki there are a few hostels and i was really lucky to get a bed for the night  , only because of a cancellation at 10pm.One of the hostels is actually located in the Olympic stadium  (there was about 150 beds i think)and it is open all year 24 hours.I know we have that monstrosity The Holiday Inn but i am sure with the amount of foreign students/and tourists we get in this fine city who can''t afford their prices,would  they prefer to stay in a hostel actually built into the ground?,could it be workable?do we have the extra space ? " I am not so sure that  the money they would make from it would cover Grant Holt''s wages[/quote]

The Holiday Inn is the one thing we make money on. Coventrys ground turns into a hotel midweek with the executive boxes turning into bedrooms. If you have for instance a wedding reception there you can stay overnight at a price. In our instance though it would take money of the Holiday Inn a pointless exercise.

Quite a few bits of Carrow Road are actually used by businesses during the week. For instance the lounges are used in the Barclay for company presentations / meetings etc. Some of the boxes are used by company''s as office space. I was once interviewed for a job by a company that had hired out one of the exec boxes in the River End for interview use. Also within the Jarrold stand, there are a couple of firms that have their main office there. One of the housing associations and Connexions (although their funding has been withdrawn), I think. There''s also the study centre.

I''ve been to a wedding reception in "The Business" in the Jarrold so Carrow Road is just not Delias and football on a Saturday afternoon.