Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Our Next £5m Man

The transfer of Jon Walter to Stoke for £2.75m made me realise what a crazy world we live in given that he''s a player who has been anything but prolific and soon to be 27. We have an absolute gem in Chris Martin. 2 goals in 3 games already this season and only 21, he is getting better all the time and one good season could see him linked with a number of Premiership clubs and we could well get £5m for him, a fee not often seen by us.

You are living in a dreamworld , Martin has yet to find the net against Championship opposition and he wouldnt even be on the radar of Premiership clubs .

[quote user="Wxyz"]You are living in a dreamworld , Martin has yet to find the net against Championship opposition and he wouldnt even be on the radar of Premiership clubs .
[/quote]

Being on the radar is very different to being interested in. I would be amazed if Marting wasn''t ''on the radar'' of many Premiership clubs but I have to agree with you he has to start scoring regularly this season for clubs to take an interest in him. That said I firmly believe as long as his contract doesn''t run down we will geet a fat fee for him in the future.

Hardly living in dreamworld, of course''s he''s going to score in this division there is hardly a massive difference in class. We are only two games into the season, the first where he was devoid of service and the Holt partnership is about to get going.

Write him off at your peril but he is 21!!!!

To be honest, if he does score a hatful in this league then I would rather keep him. You never know if all the money made would go straight into the transfer kitty, and top scoring Championship strikers are very hard to come by. So, say he scores 20 again this season then I would keep him rather than cashing in, unless it was a a ludicrously good offer of course.

[quote user="Wxyz"]You are living in a dreamworld , Martin has yet to find the net against Championship opposition and he wouldnt even be on the radar of Premiership clubs .
[/quote]

Only person living in a dreamworld is you! CM will score goals this season and IF he continues to work at his game and keep his head down I firmly believe that, at some stage, he will move on to a club in the Premier League. Might not be with us though, who knows? 

[quote user="Excited Canary"]To be honest, if he does score a hatful in this league then I would rather keep him. You never know if all the money made would go straight into the transfer kitty, and top scoring Championship strikers are very hard to come by. So, say he scores 20 again this season then I would keep him rather than cashing in, unless it was a a ludicrously good offer of course.
[/quote]

Take nothing under £15 mil for him, he said, tounge in cheek

For me,Martin is currently worth about £1.5million...but I would never sell him for that!

Natural finisher, local lad, signed a 4 year contract last year. If he can get 15 - 20 goals this year I would double that to about £3million.

Still, the cost of Walters is a joke!

I would expect that Chris Martin is on the radar of a few clubs in the Prem. I think he has a lot of ability and IMO he will go on to play at a higher level.

I think the boy deserves a lot of credit, his City career looked dead a couple of seasons back. He has had a few problems but he has straightened himself out now it seems and is rightly a first team regular.

I would add that while he was on loan at Luton many people on this forum said we needed to get rid.

There will be a few Prem clubs aware of him, no doubt-and Man Utd have probably got their original file on him somewhere.

If he continues the good work, form, and goals this season, then a few clubs will take a quiet look at him-using regional scouts that few people will recognise, quietly, under the radar. After 4,5 games, if they think its worth pursuing, then someone more senior from that club will take a look.

Lots of the "bigger" clubs these days will want to know about a prospective players day to day life-that''ll be done in an understated way as well-Fergie would ask someone, for example, to talk to Gunny about him, else an ex-player of ours working at another club would do the same-if it was Everton, Chris Woods perhaps, would contact Gossy, someone like that. Just a head''s up, nothing too committed or serious.

We''ll probably get an inkling, one way or the other, if this starts to happen-even if Martin''s profile is slightly raised somewhere, a piece on him in a national paper might be a clue. There was a nice piece in "The Times" about him late last year.

He may end up being another Chris Sutton and get a big move, its been a while since we sold one of our own products for big money, and, like it or not, its one of the ways the club makes money, so...who knows?

A good season for CM and one for us and next Summer might be an interesting one for him!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]its been a while since we sold one of our own products for big money, and, like it or not, its one of the ways the club makes money[/quote]

It''s been far too long since we sold on a good young player we developed. This is something that we have historically done well. We have built several good teams off the proceeds of selling players or by bringing players through the ranks into our first team.

It comes as no suprise to me that I have witnessed the worst few seasons in my lifetime off the back of a period when our youth development has been disappointing.

Are you on Mac? If so get Firefox...if you''re on Explorer its something like click ''Compatibility mode'' on the drop down on the bit where you choose the right forum but I''m not sure [:^)]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Anyone got any ideas why quotes will not work for me?[/quote]What''s your setup SC? (and as a former classmate glad to see you back on here)

[quote user="Twitchy"]I think it might just end up that young Korey makes us a fortune.[/quote]

Another possibility. As are Rudd and Steer.

Regardless of possible future transfer fees and values, its good to see a few more players coming through the youth system and showing some real potential.

Even if they don''t make it with us, and we get some sort of reasonable fee for them, thats better than the "old way" which saw a lot of them just being released or not retained.

No doubt someone else, hither-to fairly unknown, will start to come to prominence in the youth team this season.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Saint Canary"]Anyone got any ideas why quotes will not work for me?[/quote]

What''s your setup SC? (and as a former classmate glad to see you back on here)
[/quote]

Cheers Pete,

I am running Windows 7 and using IE8 & Chrome. I think I may have sorted it.

Korey Smith and Tom Adeyemi are our 2 most sellable assets, Tom was tracked by Arsenal over summer and looks like he could be an exceptional midfielder, if Korey has a great season and we finish mid table could see him going for a few mil to a promoted club or a Wolves.

Rudd could also command a high value especially if he impresses in his games but it''s rare for a gk to command a £5m price tag but £1-£2m wouldn''t be beyond the realms