Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

Agent's fees

Just seen the Football League report on agent''s fees for the 09/10 season. Seems Norwich paid £381,681 to agents last year, the second highest total in League One (although we had the most new players or contract negotiations in the League, 34 in total).

Don''t really know how I feel about this, agents are a necissary evil in the modern game and can certainly help clubs secure the services of new players.

I certainly don''t begrudge paying the money if we end up getting a player of our own. I think the problem before was all the ridiculous fees we were paying for all these stupid little loan deals we were doing. 1 month here, another month there, a months extension there. If it wasn''t so painful it would have been comical.I recall though being happy at hearing some of these things. "Grounds for another month!" "Brillant!" I gues when you''re that low, anything can be taken as a blessing!

Yeah... the bastards want 1.65 per cent to sell my mansion (one of them).Luckily I can afford it.  [Y]

[quote user="Cluck"]Yeah... the bastards want 1.65 per cent to sell my mansion (one of them).

Luckily I can afford it.  [Y]

[/quote]Could be a bit of a coup (coop) for someone then![;)]

The players union the PFA can do all this for the player, without cost to the clubs (the PFA get subs from the players directly to cover their costs).  The use of agents is therefore an unneccessary drain on money going out of football and thus prevents lower league clubs geting a fairer share of TV money etc.  Agents are an UNnecessary evil, and if players weren''t so f''ing greedy football as whole would be much better off! 

See my signature.

Unfortunately without agents it would be a damm sight harder for many in football to get ''their due worth''. Agents will get a cut of a transfer, loan etc and can then pass on an amount to ''interested ''partys'' - undoubtedly in readies.Maybe that was why a certain manager had his house searched one fine morn, why certain managers have been passed over for the England job.Unfortunately whilst the number of snouts in the trough at not that many there is no wish in the wider game to lift the stone and see what has been going on, might rock the boat a bit too much.

i always thought the agent was hired by the player to represent him and should therefore be paid by the player for this purpose?the clubs should say up yours to agents. if every club did it they would soon dissapear.

The agent is there to represent himself, the player is merely a means of doing it.Yes, it is the player who pays the agent but ultimately, as it is the club who is paying, it is the club paying the fees. A simple danger is that the agent may well be advising a player to join a club on the basis of the ''fees'' paid to him rather than what is best career wise. An agent may approach club Y saying that player X wants a move and then let the player know that club Y is interested. This will be passed onto media sources such as Sky and the Sun who will willingly report this as fact - in return for exclusives (player interviews). Much cheaper than proper journalism. The agents intention being to generate a fee. A good insight into this is in Tom Bowers excellent book Broken Dreams which looks at such managers as Redknapp who bought and sold 140 players during his time at West Ham. Much the same happened with international football. Aside from the increasing number of mickey mouse games to increase the wealth and control of the FA have been the huge number of players who played one game for England never to pull on the shirt again. The object being simply to increase the players worth (wage) as a result of being an international - and consequently the agents fees.Much of this has been curtailed with the negotiations taken out of the hands of managers. This is usually a club policy rather than any reflection on the manager. Keane has openly stated that dealings with transfers are done by Clegg/Evans. Though Clegg admitted he didn''t have a clue prior to taking up the post, that was more a comment on the nods and winks that go on rather than any lack of knowledge regarding contracts.The sad thing is that so many fans are still so easily fooled and will happily quote meaningless figures in relation to transfer fees as if they were as certain as a football result. The touching believe that a player is signed for £1m, say and so the buying club pops a cheque in the post and after it has cleared the player is then theirs.A player may be on 10k a week with 2 years left on his contract. The selling club no longer want him. The buying club may well simply take on that contract and then pay a signing on fee plus agents fees. Suddenly the buying club has paid a fee of £1.2m (supposedly). What happens if the selling club is willing to pay off part of that players contract to be rid of him ? Is the fee now £800,000 ? Or maybe there is sell on/other terms added that could amount to £500,000. Is the fee now £1.7m ? The danger is that many fans fall for that speculation and start to attack the club for wasting money/failing to spend the money the club supposedly received - or as on here making ludicrous allegations of certain directors making off with the money.Albeit there has been some considerable tightening up in this area I very much doubt that it will go away as long as there is so much money sloshing about and so may fans willing toturn a blind eye when it suits them.

As Barry Hearn said yesterday (which isn''t quoted in the Pink''Un piece today I note) players should realise that every pound that goes to the agent is one less for the player!

look like you wrote todays story for Archant Bethnal Yellow and Green! Why am i not surprised. They get 8/10 stories from the pinkun message board and the other 2 are made up and or inaccurate!

Archant: Get some decent Jornos, that don''t just sit around all day getting there stories and facts and figures from a message board.

[quote user="open goal"]look like you wrote todays story for Archant Bethnal Yellow and Green! Why am i not surprised. They get 8/10 stories from the pinkun message board and the other 2 are made up and or inaccurate! Archant: Get some decent Jornos, that don''t just sit around all day getting there stories and facts and figures from a message board.[/quote]

The BBC website and just about all the other papers are reporting it so I wouldn''t say they took it from me. The Football League publish these figures every year and I believe the Pink''Un also reported on it last year. There are very limited stories about Norwich City out there so I am sure the Archant are happy to use these boards as a source, not that there is anything wrong with that as I''m sure more Norwich fans don''t read them than do. Their job is to report on Norwich related stories; where ever they may come from.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Their job is to report on Norwich related stories; where ever they may come from.[/quote]Which is fine, just as long as they don''t go reading things into them that aren''t there...  [;)]

The thing that frustrated me was they done a similar story yesterday but omitted the Norwich facts and numbers. Then today they then managed to produce a whole different story using the Norwich ones. Jornos should have put this on the local rag before telling us what Leeds and southampton and everyone else spent? Surely this would be more relevant to NCFC fans then?