Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

New Blog Entry: The King Of Spain

I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.

Nice work. Good read - Think Lappin is a committed player - yeah he gets paid a lot but there was nobody on the pitch when we won the league more delighted than Lappin - he loves it at Norwich !

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.[/quote]Really?? You knows this do you, are you his bank manager!!!! Listen get off Lappin''s back he is popular with the fans because instead of giving up and leaving the guy had some guts and earnt his place back in the team, and it wasnt the reserves he was training with it was the Academy.I take my hat off to the guy, shows strength in his character to stay at a club instead of turning his back and giving up. I agree he may not be championship quality but i know when he is on the picth he will give 100%Long live the King of Spain.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.[/quote]Really?? You knows this do you, are you his bank manager!!!! Listen get off Lappin''s back he is popular with the fans because instead of giving up and leaving the guy had some guts and earnt his place back in the team, and it wasnt the reserves he was training with it was the Academy.I take my hat off to the guy, shows strength in his character to stay at a club instead of turning his back and giving up. I agree he may not be championship quality but i know when he is on the picth he will give 100%Long live the King of Spain.

[/quote]I bet you really liked Lee Croft too.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.[/quote]Really?? You knows this do you, are you his bank manager!!!! Listen get off Lappin''s back he is popular with the fans because instead of giving up and leaving the guy had some guts and earnt his place back in the team, and it wasnt the reserves he was training with it was the Academy.I take my hat off to the guy, shows strength in his character to stay at a club instead of turning his back and giving up. I agree he may not be championship quality but i know when he is on the picth he will give 100%Long live the King of Spain.

[/quote]I bet you really liked Lee Croft too.[/quote]Yea I liked him because he scored against the scum, his crossing and final ball were terrible and was a little over rated but all in all we have had a lot worse.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Can someone tell me why he''s called the King of Spain? This has always baffled me![/quote]

The song is: (To the tune of London Bridge Is Falling Down)

Simon Lappin''s King Of Spain, King Of Spain, King Of Spain,

Simon Lappin''s King Of Spain,

He Looks Spanish...

Basically as sibluerobin said, he does look Spanish. I''ve seen when he takes corners sometimes a massive Spanish Flag comes out of the crowd.

SP

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.

And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.

[/quote]

Totally agree with you here Mr Chops.

It is interesting how some players who refuse a move are labelled as a leech (Cureton) and some are labelled as committed (Lappin). I guess it has a lot to do with the manager at the time. Lappin will provide decent back-up this season but may start to have competition for a back-up role with Fox. I wouldn''t shed a tear if he was sold off now while his value must be reasonably inflated after a good season in League One.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.[/quote]I''d gather that Lambert doesn''t see him as an integral part of his plans, with Lapp''s not being one of "his" players so to speak. Akin'' to K Smith, and as was more than probably the case with both Russell and Doherty, he welcomed their involvement but i can''t imagine he''d be happy with their wage demands exceeding the likes of R Martin, Ward, Fox, Whitbread and Crofts. Any re-negotiating with the formerly mentioned players will have been likely to have been done with Lambert in the driving seat (which would lead one to assume they''d of had a significant reduction on offer, if the rumoured figures in the airwaves are to be believed).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.

[/quote]

It is interesting how some players who refuse a move are labelled as a leech (Cureton) and some are labelled as committed (Lappin). I guess it has a lot to do with the manager at the time. Lappin will provide decent back-up this season but may start to have competition for a back-up role with Fox. I wouldn''t shed a tear if he was sold off now while his value must be reasonably inflated after a good season in League One.

[/quote]

I''d agree with the manager element. Obviously, Lappin was under Roeder and we all know what we thought of him! Alot of could be to do with the situation at the time as well. Under Roeder we were struggling against relegation, therefore the first team wasn''t cutting the mustard, with Lappin not getting a look-in, naturally we all feel that he could make a difference to the team. With regards to Cureton being referred to as a leech, I think it could refer to his performances, where, he offered very little attacking wise, therefore, with him refusing to move, but his quality gone, it does appear that he is leeching off the club. Lappin has been committed and gave his all since he came back, providing neat crosses, working hard etc. therefore, he still appears to have something to offer, which is why he is labelled committed, due to his past years at the club and his performances on the pitch. I think he''s a reliable squad member and can be counted on, if called upon. As I said at the end of my blog, quality: debatable, commitment: first class! That''s what we can count on from the King of Spain week in, week out. He''s a hard-worker that will contribute to the spine of the team and spirit of the squad. I have seen him and Holty having a joke about in the warm-up, Lapps tripping him sometimes while joking with other players, he seems a popular guy and I do believe he''s an important member of the squad, if not the team.

SP

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Simon Lappin is a very lucky footballer.  He wasn''t good enough for the Championship, and benefitted financially through Peter Grant''s generous contract which meant he was picking up around £5k a week, the same as Cureton, without ever being good enough to earn it.  Yes, Roeder''s treatment of him was very poor, but I understand Simon Lappin did have offers to move and rejected them because they couldn''t match the money he was being paid to rot in the ressies at Norwich.  Lambert brought him back in and yes, he was good enough for League One, but he''s been one of our more expensive players in terms of wages versus contributions.  I''m amazed he got another 2 years on his contract in the summer of 2009, though I strongly hope they were on renegotiated League One wages.  I still don''t think he''s Championship class now, and would expect bit parts only this season and next.And yet strangely he''s probably more popular with fans than Chris Martin.[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d agree with the manager element. Obviously, Lappin was under Roeder and we all know what we thought of him! A lot of could be to do with the situation at the time as well. Under Roeder we were struggling against relegation, therefore the first team wasn''t cutting the mustard, with Lappin not getting a look-in, naturally we all feel that he could make a difference to the team. With regards to Cureton being referred to as a leech, I think it could refer to his performances, where, he offered very little attacking wise, therefore, with him refusing to move, but his quality gone, it does appear that he is leeching off the club. Lappin has been committed and gave his all since he came back, providing neat crosses, working hard etc. therefore, he still appears to have something to offer, which is why he is labelled committed, due to his past years at the club and his performances on the pitch. I think he''s a reliable squad member and can be counted on, if called upon. As I said at the end of my blog, quality: debatable, commitment: first class! That''s what we can count on from the King of Spain week in, week out. He''s a hard-worker that will contribute to the spine of the team and spirit of the squad. I have seen him and Holty having a joke about in the warm-up, Lapps tripping him sometimes while joking with other players, he seems a popular guy and I do believe he''s an important member of the squad, if not the team.

SP

[/quote]That is one thing i''d contend with in Chopsy''s post.Jamie Cureton was relatively lazy, and offered little in the latter stages of his career here. He walked at pace with the oppositions defence for through balls to be played to him, which rarely came. But when they did, because of his lack of pace he struggled to breakaway from the defensive pressure, and when confronted with the goalkeeper his ratio for putting them away was frankly nothing other than embarassing, not least for a supposedly matured and composed striker in his years.This is as opposed to Simon Lappin, who works down the left hand side quite effectively, and offers Drury the licence and support to come into the fore in games, which is never a bad thing. On top of this he can be an integral part to the play, especially when Hoolahans coming up a little short, by providing the kind of balls Martin and Holt need to flourish. I believe his assist rate last season payed testament to that.In his 10 minutes or so of Championship football this season he already has an assist to his name, and as much as i like Surman, Simon clearly brought on a much needed dynamic to our game when he was on the pitch that we otherwise lacked during the earlier stages of the game.He doesn''t provide that much class Lappin, but he does provide relentless perseverance, and that''s something i think we need in our game more than most would like to believe, because what he offers would be at the cost of talent in the likes of Surman, Fox and Hughes.Towards the tail end of last season i was hardly Lapp''s biggest fan, but with Russell and Doherty gone, letting him go could come back to bite us in the butt. Big time.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d agree with the manager element. Obviously, Lappin was under Roeder and we all know what we thought of him! A lot of could be to do with the situation at the time as well. Under Roeder we were struggling against relegation, therefore the first team wasn''t cutting the mustard, with Lappin not getting a look-in, naturally we all feel that he could make a difference to the team. With regards to Cureton being referred to as a leech, I think it could refer to his performances, where, he offered very little attacking wise, therefore, with him refusing to move, but his quality gone, it does appear that he is leeching off the club. Lappin has been committed and gave his all since he came back, providing neat crosses, working hard etc. therefore, he still appears to have something to offer, which is why he is labelled committed, due to his past years at the club and his performances on the pitch. I think he''s a reliable squad member and can be counted on, if called upon. As I said at the end of my blog, quality: debatable, commitment: first class! That''s what we can count on from the King of Spain week in, week out. He''s a hard-worker that will contribute to the spine of the team and spirit of the squad. I have seen him and Holty having a joke about in the warm-up, Lapps tripping him sometimes while joking with other players, he seems a popular guy and I do believe he''s an important member of the squad, if not the team.

SP

[/quote]

That is one thing i''d contend with in Chopsy''s post.

Jamie Cureton was relatively lazy, and offered little in the latter stages of his career here. He walked at pace with the oppositions defence for through balls to be played to him, which rarely came. But when they did, because of his lack of pace he struggled to breakaway from the defensive pressure, and when confronted with the goalkeeper his ratio for putting them away was frankly nothing other than embarassing, not least for a supposedly matured and composed striker in his years.

This is as opposed to Simon Lappin, who works down the left hand side quite effectively, and offers Drury the licence and support to come into the fore in games, which is never a bad thing. On top of this he can be an integral part to the play, especially when Hoolahans coming up a little short, by providing the kind of balls Martin and Holt need to flourish. I believe his assist rate last season payed testament to that.

In his 10 minutes or so of Championship football this season he already has an assist to his name, and as much as i like Surman, Simon clearly brought on a much needed dynamic to our game when he was on the pitch that we otherwise lacked during the earlier stages of the game.

He doesn''t provide that much class Lappin, but he does provide relentless perseverance, and that''s something i think we need in our game more than most would like to believe, because what he offers would be at the cost of talent in the likes of Surman, Fox and Hughes.

Towards the tail end of last season i was hardly Lapp''s biggest fan, but with Russell and Doherty gone, letting him go could come back to bite us in the butt. Big time.
[/quote]

Falling back on the Cureton point, I don''t think he ever really properly won the fans over. He scored some goals, but, in truth, probably missed more than he scored. Say if he had scored twenty odd goals during that season and continued that form the following one, he may have not been regarded as a leech. He''d perhaps reached his peak at Colchester, when he was Championship top scorer, before coming to us, where, quite clearly, he was on the decline. To sum it up, his games/goals ratio was pretty poor, we were patient with him, but, he never really seemed to hit any heights. There were glimmers, anyway, that''s the past, he''s gone.

I think in any side, you need to have hard-workers interlinked with quality. I mean, if we had lots of so called luxury players making up our side, players like Wes would not be as effective, as the hard-workers give him the ball and let him make his magic happen. If you watch players like Cristiano Ronaldo, he loses the ball and rarely chases back. That''s where these tenacious hard-working players, like Lappin and like Crofts come in, to win the ball back. I agree, I didn''t think Lappin was exactly on form towards the end and I wasn''t sure why he wasn''t dropped, but, he continued to work-hard and do his best for the team.

I can''t see him being a frequent starter like he was last season, but, without him to fall back on, we may struggle. Drury is our only fit senior left-back with Smith still out, Lappin is very capable of filling in back there. He''s a very useful squad member to have and will do his all when called upon.

SP