Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Which position does Lambert need to strengthen?

Which position in the team does Paul Lambert need to strengthen, and why?The clue is in the questionmaybe the patch over your eye has hindered your reading skills

[quote user="City1st"]Which position in the team does Paul Lambert need to strengthen, and why?The clue is in the questionmaybe the patch over your eye has hindered your reading skills

[/quote]Come along now... keep up.  [8-)]

Right back. I agree a big man would be good but only for if holt is injured or suspended. For me holt is no1 on the team sheet, he makes us tick. So would a "back up" be a waste of money? Maybe bring someone in on loan if needed?

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Missionary. Sorry, someone had to say it.[/quote]

How boring lol

Now back on track, I think we need to strengthen with a striker and dare I say RB?  <<dons tin hat and retreats to a safe distance>>

Someone who can play centre back or right back with a bit of pace.

Someone in the Kenton mould (obviously not Kenton himself) but that kind of player who is adaptable and has some pace.

I think Nelson and Ward have looked much better against Scunthorpe but there may be games where we need more pace. Whitbread has been missing for so long you worry whether he will ver be fit!

I think R Martin and Francomb are good enough at right back but if we got an injury to Russell, would we be comfortable with just an 18 year old (although I do rate him)?

-A Right Back

-A midfielder with muscle and size, pity T-J was not considredf good enough.

-A striker - not bothered with size, but as we have only 3 plus Johnson we are pretty threadbare.

If I was froced to choose the most important, I think I would go for the stirker.

I can''t see the point in bringing in a back up for anybody, to be honest. Sure Holt may get injured, but we do have other strikers and if Holt doesn''t miss many games, then what use is there in buying a spare player and paying his wages? If we were to bring in another player, I would want him to be starting more games than not, otherwise I can''t see the point - save the money for now and find someone on loan if we have a real injury crisis, or leave a pot of cash to spend in Jan as we see a little more clearly what might be required. We have cover in most areas and even at RB there are a few options (Korey Smith can play there, for instance).As others above, my ideal player would perhaps be a hybrid centre-back/right-back - someone strong, intelligent and quick who could start in either position and who really adds something to the defence we have now. But in reality that sort of player isn''t the easiest to find for the sort of money we''re likely to have available, so second choice would be a proper CB or a proper RB - as long as they were better than other options we have at the moment. Otherwise let''s just see how what we''ve already got gets on in this league. And in truth, I don''t expect anyone else to arrive on a permanent deal this year.

I think that Jens BA will get used as cover for right back and centre back...ok, I wouldn''t regard him as an attacking right back, but between him, Russell and the very impressive Francomb, I think we''ll be ok.

I''d like to see a right winger in the Ruel Fox mould, but that would probably mean a dramatic shift from the diamond.  So, I guess a big man for if Holt gets injured/suspended...but I would wait until it happens and bring them in on a short term loan.  I have no idea who might be on the list of available and suitable players tho

[quote user="Pabs"]Someone who can play centre back or right back with a bit of pace. Someone in the Kenton mould (obviously not Kenton himself) but that kind of player who is adaptable and has some pace. I think Nelson and Ward have looked much better against Scunthorpe but there may be games where we need more pace. Whitbread has been missing for so long you worry whether he will ver be fit! I think R Martin and Francomb are good enough at right back but if we got an injury to Russell, would we be comfortable with just an 18 year old (although I do rate him)?[/quote]I agree with you Pabs..spot on!

I was worried about Ward against Watford, but both he and the side seem to have settled down now, so I''d go for a loan like Nile Ranger to back up Holt and a RB like Rosenior who could also play at the base of the diamond if need be.

[quote user="morty"]Ooh good, some Russel Martin bashing, its been a while.[;)][/quote]

Not bashing Morty, i dont think he is up to it for Champ level, i would like to see a RB and another BIG striker[Y]

Most of you are missing the fact that we seriously lack pace in the current squad.Who''s

are swiftest, McNamee? And he''ll only figure when the diamond is

countered successfully by better sides than Scunthorpe, which it

inevitably will.I appreciate that Lambo offers a methodical

approach to the game, it''s something we''ve been lacking for many a year,

but the mix & match he''s reportedly keen on has to incorporate both

brains & brawn in equal proportions and the brawn by way of the

attribute of speed needs to be addressed.Don''t get me wrong, I''m

not yearning for half-wits like Croft and Otsemobor, but the

acquisition of pacey players with at least three-quarters of a

footballing brain each would be cool.

I''ve not seen enough of francomb (only the daggers friendly when he looked decent) to know if he''s capable to step up...but once again in Lambert we trust. so I’d say a “lump” to cover Holt when he gets sent off/banned/injured (please god no!), or here’s a thought...to play with holt if we need a goal in the last 15 when we often go a bit route 1 anyway...

...we''ve got plenty of centre backs lads?

I also this Lambert should change/sack off a few from “team toby” aka the permanent fixtures on this forum.