Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Lack Of Transfer Activity

Hi all, it''s been a long time since I last posted on here. I have been ill for a long while and was unable to attend Carrow Road and I didn''t feel much like posting. I am back in good health now though and have reclaimed my season ticket. Anyway, back to my point......

I have to say I am delighted with the lack of transfers at City due to good work of the manager and those at board level who did the hard work earlier in the summer. How nice it is to see the end of the transfer window draw ever closer and not have to worry about whether we will get any more players in.

How quickly things can change, it''s seems only yesterday that we were being told by Doncaster and Munby that no-one does business at "x" time of year.

So many times in recent seasons we have reached the end of these windows with so much work to do and ultimately came up short on many occasions.

Regardless of what we all think of the new additions, I am sure we can all agree that it really is nice that we do not have to spend the last few days of the transfer window worrying this season!

I think we''re definitely in need of a back-up target man.

Without Holt we lack physical presence up front. This is after all The Championship, and not La Liga!

[quote user="Chewbacca"]I think we''re definitely in need of a back-up target man.

Without Holt we lack physical presence up front. This is after all The Championship, and not La Liga![/quote]Yep. [Y]For me, if we get cover for Holt, I''d say our squad would be well capable.

If a player of say, Bellamys'' calibre became available on reasonable terms as a result of the 25 man squad ruling over the next few days, I''d welcome it.  Otherwise, I''m pretty pleased with what we''ve brought in already.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Hi all, it''s been a long time since I last posted on here. I have been ill for a long while and was unable to attend Carrow Road and I didn''t feel much like posting. I am back in good health now though and have reclaimed my season ticket. Anyway, back to my point...... I have to say I am delighted with the lack of transfers at City due to good work of the manager and those at board level who did the hard work earlier in the summer. How nice it is to see the end of the transfer window draw ever closer and not have to worry about whether we will get any more players in. How quickly things can change, it''s seems only yesterday that we were being told by Doncaster and Munby that no-one does business at "x" time of year. So many times in recent seasons we have reached the end of these windows with so much work to do and ultimately came up short on many occasions. Regardless of what we all think of the new additions, I am sure we can all agree that it really is nice that we do not have to spend the last few days of the transfer window worrying this season![/quote]

Pleased you ar feeling better. Not much fun feeling sick.

Times have changed. The economic climate means that there is not much money out there and players are glad to have a job...almost any job. Players hanging out for three year contracts come back to the table to find there is nothing there and are happy to move to Preston. Loan players  are being left out all together. Complicated contracts like Doncaster had to deal with have been simplified. Munby was right at the time. Lambert has come into a better environment comercially for a manager and good luck to him because he is working the system well.

[quote user="nevermind"]I disagree, I would sell gill and Tudor jones and a few others to get a RB on loan, a CB, a right midfielder and a striker[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong, any squad can be improved and ours is no exception.

What I was really getting at was that we are not "desperate" for any players. Thinking back to two years ago when the whole Iverson saga dragged on and we ended up without a real target man.

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Hi all, it''s been a long time since I last posted on here. I have been ill for a long while and was unable to attend Carrow Road and I didn''t feel much like posting. I am back in good health now though and have reclaimed my season ticket. Anyway, back to my point...... I have to say I am delighted with the lack of transfers at City due to good work of the manager and those at board level who did the hard work earlier in the summer. How nice it is to see the end of the transfer window draw ever closer and not have to worry about whether we will get any more players in. How quickly things can change, it''s seems only yesterday that we were being told by Doncaster and Munby that no-one does business at "x" time of year. So many times in recent seasons we have reached the end of these windows with so much work to do and ultimately came up short on many occasions. Regardless of what we all think of the new additions, I am sure we can all agree that it really is nice that we do not have to spend the last few days of the transfer window worrying this season![/quote]

Pleased you ar feeling better. Not much fun feeling sick.

Times have changed. The economic climate means that there is not much money out there and players are glad to have a job...almost any job. Players hanging out for three year contracts come back to the table to find there is nothing there and are happy to move to Preston. Loan players  are being left out all together. Complicated contracts like Doncaster had to deal with have been simplified. Munby was right at the time. Lambert has come into a better environment comercially for a manager and good luck to him because he is working the system well.

[/quote]

I disagree, at the time Munby was telling us no-one was doing business yet, other clubs had been pretty busy.

[quote user="nevermind"]I disagree, I would sell gill and Tudor jones and a few others to get a RB on loan, a CB, a right midfielder and a striker[/quote]I dont think we need four more players. Two maybe.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Hi all, it''s been a long time since I last posted on here. I have been ill for a long while and was unable to attend Carrow Road and I didn''t feel much like posting. I am back in good health now though and have reclaimed my season ticket. Anyway, back to my point......

I have to say I am delighted with the lack of transfers at City due to good work of the manager and those at board level who did the hard work earlier in the summer. How nice it is to see the end of the transfer window draw ever closer and not have to worry about whether we will get any more players in.

How quickly things can change, it''s seems only yesterday that we were being told by Doncaster and Munby that no-one does business at "x" time of year.

So many times in recent seasons we have reached the end of these windows with so much work to do and ultimately came up short on many occasions.

Regardless of what we all think of the new additions, I am sure we can all agree that it really is nice that we do not have to spend the last few days of the transfer window worrying this season![/quote]I actually like having players coming in through out the transfer window, gives me the sense of surprise  :)

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Chewbacca"]I think we''re definitely in need of a back-up target man. Without Holt we lack physical presence up front. This is after all The Championship, and not La Liga![/quote]Yep. [Y]

For me, if we get cover for Holt, I''d say our squad would be well capable.
[/quote]

This is what worries me, we have no Holt back-up, and look how poor we are without him..

Im not certian of the RB position but there is a very small chance he will get another one unless1. Russell Martin picks up an injury2.He isnt playing well (even still he improved greatly form last season but im still unsher but that is a different topic )But im happy he only brought in players to fill in gaps where players have left the club unlike Roeder who brought in loan players he dint even use

The positives are that the club/manager were targetting and building their squad well before we had won promotion. It appears they mostly got who they wanted. This has meant that the squad has been able to work together and adapt as where needed. It also shows a strong commitment from the club and the kind of determination we''ve not seen for quite somewhile. It appears that the team will regularly chop and change both before and during the game. There is a clear '' two players for each place '' set up about the squad now. How many times before has an injury meant a complete swap round with players filling in where needed or being played out of place and others seemingly signed because they looked ok and were available ?I''ve no doubt that if it appears necessary one or two others will be brought in on loan in September. Again the positive here is that any decision will be made after quite a few games with the same squad.What is of concern, as posted by others is the Holt effect. Not only as a good striker, but as a combatative force, a leader and a talisman for the fans. I''m not sure if we can sign a backup with all of those qualities. What we can do is to get a few to step up to the plate in each area. Get someone else to put the head and body in there, up front. Others to get stuck in at both the back and middle. Get at least one more ''rabble rouser'' a fans favourite, call it what you want but someone (or more) who actually wants to win as much as the fans do and is willing to show it.For many other clubs the problem has been a sort of sales chain. Until they can shift a few players they clubs dont have the ''freed up wage budget'' nor know exactly who they need to replace. With each club in the same position it could well end up either a mad or stagnant end of transfer window. I suspect more the latter, with numerous players being send out/taken on as a loan  after the transfer window closes as many clubs will be unable or unwilling to commit to a long contract.This summer may well go down as the summer when the transfer system noticably changed.

Good to have you back SC. One of the saner posters on here as i recall.

For what it''s worth, i think PL has done all his permanent transfer dealings for this window. Sure he''d like to do more if he had the cash but i reckon as others have said he will use the loan system if we lose Holt or Martin. Or potentially he could buy in Jan but i think since most managers quite rightly don''t want to deal in January if they can avoid it, we go the season with what we have. Barring injuries, i''m happy with that.

You''re all missing the fact that we seriously lack pace in the current squad.Who''s are swiftest, McNamee? And he''ll only figure when the diamond is countered successfully by better sides than Scunthorpe, which it inevitably will.I appreciate that Lambo offers a methodical approach to the game, it''s something we''ve been lacking for many a year, but the mix & match he''s reportedly keen on has to incorporate both brains & brawn in equal proportions and the brawn by way of the attribute of speed needs to be addressed.Don''t get me wrong, I''m not yearning for half-wits like Croft and Otsemobor, but the acquisition of pacey players with at least three-quarters of a footballing brain each would be cool.

"Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"

I wouldn''t mind us getting a young right back in on loan though, just as back up mind.

You mean Francomb....

The exact point .... it''s time we started developing our own players instead of other people''sIf we loan players in their parent clubs will expect them to be played, or they wouldn''t have loaned them to us in the first place, and that will be to the detriment of our own players.Some of the players we have had in recent seasons on loan (with a few notable exceptions) have been little better than other players at the club and have merely hampered our own youngster''s development.

[quote user="Shyster"]You''re all missing the fact that we seriously lack pace in the current squad.

Who''s are swiftest, McNamee? And he''ll only figure when the diamond is countered successfully by better sides than Scunthorpe, which it inevitably will.

I appreciate that Lambo offers a methodical approach to the game, it''s something we''ve been lacking for many a year, but the mix & match he''s reportedly keen on has to incorporate both brains & brawn in equal proportions and the brawn by way of the attribute of speed needs to be addressed.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not yearning for half-wits like Croft and Otsemobor, but the acquisition of pacey players with at least three-quarters of a footballing brain each would be cool.
[/quote]

I think you are right, we do lack pace, especially at the back.  I do think we have ability in this squad though and I would take ability over pace everytime.  

I think this lack of pace at the back thing is over done. Look at the famous english back four that won arsenal the double - dixon, keown, adams....

You can overcome it if you''re organised and play as a unit using the offside effectively. Name a back four in the championship with pace. Even in the premiership outside the top 6. In our league, saying you lack pace at the back is like saying a lorry lacks pace on the motorway! It''s to be expected.