Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Letter of concern

I have been a fan of Norwich for 20 years, and I have always been happy to pay whatever to support my team.

In a season, this would usually include

a) either a season ticket or a membership - with a membership I would perhaps get to 9 or 10 home games and 3 or 4 away a season. This has depended on my situation as I have been away at uni some years and it hasn''t been practical to get an S/T.

b) A home or away shirt

c) Travel to and from matches

d) Refreshments in the ground, before match and at half time

e) Programme every match

f) Other items as the season goes along - taking family to matches, buying other bits and bobs etc etc.

Anyway, this year is one I haven''t purchased a S/T for. Not because I can''t afford it particularly but more because of my work situation. I actually think season tickets are reasonably priced compared to some clubs, but a single matchday experience for a fan is becoming almost impossible.

Here goes (Swansea match as example):

Ticket (with super membership) £29

Ticket Booking Fee £1.50

Train/Petrol & Parking to match: £10

Refreshments (in ground only - 2 snacks and drink): £7

Programme: £3

Basically, this means an average HOME game for me would cost in the region of £55,and this is without a couple of pints and other refreshments before the game.

Now, don''t get me wrong, I love watching my team and I would rather do that than anything else on a Saturday afternoon (I had a brilliant day at Glanford Park last Saturday) but at that cost per match I just cant afford to go as much as I would like to. I don''t have a bad job but there are bills to pay and food to buy etc, and I just feel that the club are pricing the casual fan out of being able to afford it regularly.

I know the club is in debt, but surely a £5 reduction on casual match day tickets and getting rid of the ridiculous booking fee would be a way to get crowds up to 26 -27,000 instead of 24,500?

Sorry if this comes across as a big moan (it is really) but I am just concerned that we may be pushing some fans away.

i fully agree mate ..but you can expect to get hammered on here for being disloyal and for  putting your family having food, heat and shelter before the club [:D]

People can hammer me all they want. I went to Glanford Park and spent over £100 last week, so its only reasonable that I AND MANY OTHER FANS can''t afford another £50 odd quid for a home game.

I will still go to a good few games this season, but I just feel that the club would actually do better business if they could make a few concessions. The introduction of the booking fee makes it almost completely un-worthwhile buying a super membership!

so... don''t buy a programme (same old regurgitated crap anyway) and don''t buy refreshments in the ground. that''ll save you £10.the booking fee is a scam which hits exiled fans particularly but how else are they supposed to finance Roeder''s pension?p.s. how come you have to pay parking on a train?

Haven''t we covered this to death already?We have been running at a loss in recent years to try and swell the crowds as much as possible, and look where we ended up.If we want success we have to pay for it, however unpalatable it may be, its how it is.

we may have covered it to death but obviously its still a concern to people so it shouldn''t be brushed under the carpet ...

[quote user="pennywise "]we may have covered it to death but obviously its still a concern to people so it shouldn''t be brushed under the carpet ...[/quote]As I have said before, unfortunately times are tough, and if you can''t afford something you have to make sacrifices elsewhere. We either start paying the going rate for our football or we teeter between the Championship and League one, thats the choice.We can''t have good football on the cheap, it doesn''t work that way anymore.

[quote user="pennywise "]thats it then subject closed [:D][/quote]Hehehe.The thing is, the reason we''re in so much debt is the fact that we have been too cheap for years, I''d love it stay that way too, I don''t have a lot of cash to splash.Its like in the case of season tickets, I buy three. I consider my ticket in the Barclay about right, but my kids tickets (one under 12, one over) work out at about 5 and 9 pound per game.Now whilst I am obviously liking that price, is that really a realistic price to pay in modern terms? You can''t even take your kid to the cinema for a fiver.

I think the club have got it completely right for the kids. It is cheap and affordable for parents to take their kids to the game and if we want a new generation of fans then it needs to be affordable for their parents to bring them either on a S/T or for a casual game or two.

I blame the Premier League and Sky for this!

Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that we''d rather have "little old Naarwich" as opposed to a successful, competitive team?

I would rather be us where we are now than Wigan with 10,000 rattling around ina 25,000 stadium in the Prem.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that we''d rather have "little old Naarwich" as opposed to a successful, competitive team?[/quote]If I honestly thought that hiking the seat prices and charging £2 for a cup of horse''s piss was the magic bullet for a successful and competitive team I''d agree. In reality it''s going to do absolutely beggar all in that dept.  It''s like sticking a plaster on an amputated limb.  

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that we''d rather have "little old Naarwich" as opposed to a successful, competitive team?[/quote]If I honestly thought that hiking the seat prices and charging £2 for a cup of horse''s piss was the magic bullet for a successful and competitive team I''d agree. In reality it''s going to do absolutely beggar all in that dept.  It''s like sticking a plaster on an amputated limb.   [/quote]Football costs money.The club needs our money to be competitive (until such time that we get investment)The rest is down to good management, the club being run properly, fit and motivated players, and a big slice of luck.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that we''d rather have "little old Naarwich" as opposed to a successful, competitive team?[/quote]If I honestly thought that hiking the seat prices and charging £2 for a cup of horse''s piss was the magic bullet for a successful and competitive team I''d agree. In reality it''s going to do absolutely beggar all in that dept.  It''s like sticking a plaster on an amputated limb.   [/quote]Football costs money.The club needs our money to be competitive (until such time that we get investment)The rest is down to good management, the club being run properly, fit and motivated players, and a big slice of luck.

[/quote]That''s the problem Morty.  The club isn''t going to suck much more money out of us if the title of this thread is anything to go by.  Somebody said, ''don''t buy a programme''.  Fine no problem. Don''t buy a programme to offset the ticket price.  [*-)]

I think everything that McNally is trying should and would work in just about every other club in the UK.

His problem is that he has NEVER faced anything like the good old Norfolk mentality before.

Nothing in this world prepares you for that!! (yes I am a Norfolk boy but have travelled a lot and lived in many places)

The physche is still that of menial farm labourer wages and how best to make something from nothing.

Many people have floundered against those rocks![:D]

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Morty I''m not saying you''re wrong because you are not wrong.  In principle what you''ve said is logical.  But... The problem many fans have is, they feel they have a right to be able to afford to watch Norwich even if they are on minimum wage.  Your argument (though I said is fair and correct) is like saying cutting back going to the pub from twice a week to once.  Norwich is different, we''ve all bought into Norwich is a community, Norwich is like a church/religion.  That''s why many are peed off.  They feel as though they''ve been priced out of their community or church.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that we''d rather have "little old Naarwich" as opposed to a successful, competitive team?[/quote]If I honestly thought that hiking the seat prices and charging £2 for a cup of horse''s piss was the magic bullet for a successful and competitive team I''d agree. In reality it''s going to do absolutely beggar all in that dept.  It''s like sticking a plaster on an amputated limb.   [/quote]Football costs money.The club needs our money to be competitive (until such time that we get investment)The rest is down to good management, the club being run properly, fit and motivated players, and a big slice of luck.

[/quote]That''s the problem Morty.  The club isn''t going to suck much more money out of us if the title of this thread is anything to go by.  Somebody said, ''don''t buy a programme''.  Fine no problem. Don''t buy a programme to offset the ticket price.  [*-)][/quote]I would like to think (and I hope not naively) that they have actually considered all the various options, and aren''t just whacking the price up to see how far they can push us. I''m hoping that there are people at the club with actual finanvial nous, who know what they are doing, but I guess we''ll soon see the results if they have got it completely wrong ie, people voting with their feet.In the case of something like programmes, I doubt they turn much profit on them anyway.

[quote user="The Butler"]

I think everything that McNally is trying should and would work in just about every other club in the UK.

His problem is that he has NEVER faced anything like the good old Norfolk mentality before.

Nothing in this world prepares you for that!! (yes I am a Norfolk boy but have travelled a lot and lived in many places)

The physche is still that of menial farm labourer wages and how best to make something from nothing.

[/quote]Exactly.We either want to be "little old Norwich" or a proper club.You can''t have your cake and eat it I''m afraid.[:)]

[/quote]I think that there is more to it than good old Norfolk mentality Butler. My cousins stopped going to St Andrews a few seasons ago when Gold and Sullivan started doing the same thing. As did many thousands of other Blues fans.I think people are gradually falling out of love with football… its a huge weekly expense that goes straight into the pockets of players and agents… most of whom are mediocre and behave like f**king idiots.When you stop going, it''s like a divorce, you feel the pain to start with and lash out but after a while you get on with another life. I''m of the opinion that football will disappear up its own arse anytime soon. I hope it does, really I do, cos it is an overblown joke of a sport nowadays.Actually, forget that… it has become a religion… its beyond a joke.

[/quote]Dear me, this post has got me very confused.[*-)] I thought the whole problem was the fans were now all chardonnay-sipping[<:o)] metrosexual[H] incomer luvvies. Or is that just me I''m describing?[;)][;)][;)]That''s my ever so polite way of saying that The Butler''s "explanation" is total nonsense.[:P] 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Dear me, this post has got me very confused.[*-)] I thought the whole problem was the fans were now all chardonnay-sipping[<:o)] metrosexual[H] incomer luvvies. Or is that just me I''m describing?[;)][;)][;)]

That''s my ever so polite way of saying that The Butler''s "explanation" is total nonsense.[:P] 
[/quote]

My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

If you have never encountered the Norfolk thrift then you have led a very secluded life!

Me I prefer Chateauneuf-du-pape.

[quote user="The Butler"]My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

If you have never encountered the Norfolk thrift then you have led a very secluded life!

Me I prefer Chateauneuf-du-pape.[/quote]

Yew aunt bairn daft un hig norun that thar bluddah ow russesshun ar ya thow boi?

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Dear me, this post has got me very confused.[*-)] I thought the whole problem was the fans were now all chardonnay-sipping[<:o)] metrosexual[H] incomer luvvies. Or is that just me I''m describing?[;)][;)][;)]That''s my ever so polite way of saying that The Butler''s "explanation" is total nonsense.[:P]  [/quote]

My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

[/quote]I''m up to speed with the letters of complaint. But you were saying these complaints were wrong-headed and wouldn''t happen elsewhere in the country.That, to use one example, only in Norfolk would someone complain about £20 for a 12-year-old. And that is just plain nonsense. You would get complaints about that at pretty much any Championship club. It has nothing to do with Norfolk thrift. That is just your way of trying to explain away and denigrate justified criticism of the club and questioning of its pricing policies.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="The Butler"]My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

Yew aunt bairn daft un hig norun that thar bluddah ow russesshun ar ya thow boi?

[/quote]

No bludda way ol partner.

I usd tu carry jummie tu skull tu save onhis shu lather!

Hard coney sanwichers for dinner. Blast that wus hard keeping the little buggers in the bread!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="The Butler"]My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

[/quote]

Hard coney sanwichers for dinner. Blast that wus hard keeping the little buggers in the bread!

[/quote]Wuh, um fear pleezd ta hair utt… cooz ass wossa carepun peepull frum a cummun hint at? At hint northun ta dew wirra bairn frum Norfuk izzut… ass yewnavarsal hittat?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Dear me, this post has got me very confused.[*-)] I thought the whole problem was the fans were now all chardonnay-sipping[<:o)] metrosexual[H] incomer luvvies. Or is that just me I''m describing?[;)][;)][;)]

That''s my ever so polite way of saying that The Butler''s "explanation" is total nonsense.[:P] 
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m up to speed with the letters of complaint. But you were saying these complaints were wrong-headed and wouldn''t happen elsewhere in the country.That, to use one example, only in Norfolk would someone complain about £20 for a 12-year-old. And that is just plain nonsense. You would get complaints about that at pretty much any Championship club. It has nothing to do with Norfolk thrift. That is just your way of trying to explain away and denigrate justified criticism of the club and questioning of its pricing policies.

[/quote]

Total Tosh and squirm. These policies were laid down by the SCG were they not? A fine body of people dedicated to the protection of the common fans.

No hold on thats defunct it''s all McNally now. Can you get your e-mails through to him PC or do you rely on the press office?

If not NCISA will, as they already are doing ,take these concerns up with the club.(see web site)[;)]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="The Butler"]My explanation PC was of the numerous letters of complaint about the hike in prices, or have you missed them.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wuh, um fear pleezd ta hair utt… cooz ass wossa carepun peepull frum a cummun hint at? At hint northun ta dew wirra bairn frum Norfuk izzut… ass yewnavarsal hittat?
[/quote]

I will agree with that Andy, the whole structure of pro football from Chelsea downwards is rotten and will finally price the common man from HIS sport.

You need good corporate money(tax allowed) to keep clubs anywhere near solvent. Prawn sandwiches, much to the "ordinary" fans disgust, do help  the clubs immensly.

A simple equation of costs divided by fans would give a picture of ticket price that would scare most supporters rigid and away.

[quote user="The Butler"]Total Tosh and squirm. These policies were laid down by the SCG were they not? A fine body of people dedicated to the protection of the common fans.

No hold on thats defunct it''s all McNally now. Can you get your e-mails through to him PC or do you rely on the press office?

If not NCISA will, as they already are doing ,take these concerns up with the club.(see web site)[;)]

[/quote]Don''t worry, TB, I have the NCISA website (with my favourite mission statement[;)]) bookmarked...

I think its a question of priorities and demand to be honest.

For example, ive had a ST for over 12 years and an away season ticket for as long as theyve been available. I went to uni 200 miles away and have lived 150 miles away for the last 7 years. I am fortunate that I am able to afford it, but I go without ceratain luxuries to do it!

I think its a matter of personal choice, and to be honest for me its probably an addiction more than a hobby! I also think there are enough fans willing to pay the asking price for the club to keep charging, and any business would charge as much as they could get away with. Plus they have the emotional attachment of the fans to fall back on. For example theres nothing better than a last minute winner to make you feel that the cost doesnt matter and to get you to go next week is there... ;o)

If I were you, I would go without the programme and refreshments inside - complete rip off!