Sign in to follow this  
Carra_Rud

Demand getting lower or is it still the holiday effect

Noticed that Saturday''s game looks like it will not be a sell-out, and now Swansea are reporting that its pay on the day for their fans now. How many times did that happen last season?I realise that its still August, but if you look on the official site, there are  literally hundreds of tickets still available.Thoughts?

[quote user="Carra_Rud"]Noticed that Saturday''s game looks like it will not be a sell-out, and now Swansea are reporting that its pay on the day for their fans now. How many times did that happen last season?I realise that its still August, but if you look on the official site, there are  literally hundreds of tickets still available.Thoughts?[/quote]*and now Swansea are reporting that its pay on the day for their fans.*

24000 or so is still a good starting point.The likes of swansea were never going to be much of an attraction or bring many supporters. also i agree the season is young and there is far less expectation than last season. The holiday effect is also a factor

To many glory hunters stating we needed extra seats because they could not get one. Do well we might sell out mid table and we wont fill these seats and then these same glory hunters will be moaning because we have not spent the money the usold seats brought in. We have less casual seats to sell this year and are selling less. Just goes to show we have our support of 23000 ish plus corporates, beyond that fans who only come when we are winning something.   

I think the pricing might be an issue once again. Swansea is a category A game I believe and costs £31 as a result. I am not laying into McNally for the prices but I think it a problem with English football as a whole. It seems weird that you can go to a top flight game in Germany for £10 and in this country you didnt get much change for watching Kings Lynn at that price last season.

Holidays have some effect but it would be silly to dismiss the effects of the economic downturn. Mortgages and family have to come before football tickets.I can only see us beating last years figures if we stay in contention for a playoff or auto place. If we don''t then crowds will likely decline afer Xmas. Some people think 25k is a given but I can asure you that in many of the last 50 or so seasons, 18k would have been considered a good gate.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]I think the pricing might be an issue once again. Swansea is a category A game I believe and costs £31 as a result. I am not laying into McNally for the prices but I think it a problem with English football as a whole. It seems weird that you can go to a top flight game in Germany for £10 and in this country you didnt get much change for watching Kings Lynn at that price last season.[/quote]

Myth seats are £29 £2 more than last year with most people saying that was a mickey mouse league. It is false economy to fill te ground with cheap tickets. We could offer kids for a quid again to fill the ground but the economics would be crazy. Our final games last season were all top expense, no complaints then.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]I think the pricing might be an issue once again. Swansea is a category A game I believe and costs £31 as a result. I am not laying into McNally for the prices but I think it a problem with English football as a whole. It seems weird that you can go to a top flight game in Germany for £10 and in this country you didnt get much change for watching Kings Lynn at that price last season.[/quote]

Well its no a lot of fun sitting on your own so that is £62 plus £10 for drinks, etc if you take your son/daughter or wife. With the County Council (Norfolk''s biggest employer) scheduled to announce massive redundancies in September and one with a bit of sense is putting something by. Jam on the table or football? I go for jam.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Myth seats are £29 £2 more than last year with most people saying that was a mickey mouse league. It is false economy to fill te ground with cheap tickets. We could offer kids for a quid again to fill the ground but the economics would be crazy. Our final games last season were all top expense, no complaints then.

[/quote]

Entirely agree with you Lambert Is King thats why I said I am not laying into McNally as cheap tickets would put us at a disadvantage compared to rival clubs. But it does seem strange that our European counterparts can still watch decent competitive football cheaply while we pay through the nose for it.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]perhaps we should become students, they seem to get everything on the cheap. [;)]  *waits for student to tell us how hard up they are*[/quote]

What do they get free or even cheaper from the football club?

Also Lamber is King prices for tickets are over £30 now because of the introduction of the ''web sales fee''. The difference may not seem lots for you, however, for some of us it certainly means I won''t be going to as many games this year - Swansea looking likely to be one of them.

[quote user="Bobert"]

Well its no a lot of fun sitting on your own so that is £62 plus £10 for drinks, etc if you take your son/daughter or wife. With the County Council (Norfolk''s biggest employer) scheduled to announce massive redundancies in September and one with a bit of sense is putting something by. Jam on the table or football? I go for jam.

[/quote]Dunno about you but I prefer my jam on toast. Tables give me splinters in the gums.

Well thanks guys for the heads up - I''m so used to the tickets being sold out by now I didnt even check! But Ive just bought one for Saturday.But, as I have never bought one so close to match day do I just collect the tickets from the ground or will they still be sent to me?

We are not going to get 25 thousand week in week out.  We will do if we start doing well but for the time being 24 thousand is very realistic and a good attendance.  How many other clubs get 24 thousand a week?  Maybe Leeds but only if they are doing well.  We are the best fans in the Championship and will get 23 to 25 thousand week in week out so lets not go moaning about every game not being a sell out like it was towards the end of last season.

What baffles me is when I was a resident of Norwich and a season ticket holder, I noticed we hardly ever had category A games. Now it seems that every other game is category A. I assume the fact the first 2 games were/are Category A is because they were game one and two at home, and on that basis I assume, without looking the Barnsley game is category A.

Last season had a certain novelty effect because of the rarely seen teams visiting, plus some teams excelled themselves with their support because it was a rare chance to play at a big club - thats not the case this year. Also, we may be the victims of our own success - with 20,550 season tickets sold, how many potential customers presume there is no point trying to get a ticket? Remember, the ground can be empty and still has a prepaid attendance of over 20,000!

Otherwise, the economy, holidays and early season lethargy all play a part

[quote user="Carra_Rud"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wrong, it''s Grade B.[/quote]I''ve just had a look on official site and the tickets for Swansea and Barnsley are the same price.[:^)][/quote]Scrap that, my apologies.[:$]

For me this all comes back to the question as to where the tipping point lies between supply and demand.

Perhaps Norwich have overstepped the mark in terms of ground investment, capacity and availability.

If you have 30k regular fan potential and a 25k ground: you fill it. If you have 30k regular fan potential and a 27k ground you lose the imperitive factor and get 24k.

Personally, I think the holidays are still affecting attendence, but an average to poor season will see gates averaging at or below last season.

I would suggest the Club release 1k half season tickets at Christmas.

Further to my previous observations: if you go onto the online ticketing you see areas of the pitch shown with good availability which gives the impression the ground isn''t selling when infact we are talking about the new front seating in most cases.

It is good to have the extra availability but the impression given that there is plenty of room can have a negative effect on people planning to attend a game or not.

It adds up to an interesting psychological conundrum.

August is always a bad time for crowds especially when the opposition is a uninspiring as Swansea......now if it had been Cardiff and Bellars then it would have been a sell out!!

I don''t understand this nonsense about "demand getting lower" as the crowd for Watford, on a Friday night and on Sky, still compared very favourably with any of last season''s crowds.  So where exactly is the problem?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wrong, it''s Grade B.[/quote]

That''s for Barnsley we''re on about Swansea which that link shows as being Grade A

[/quote]You might be on about Swansea, but this chap wasn''t:[quote user="Carra_Rud"]...and on that basis I assume, without looking the Barnsley game is category A.[/quote]

Combination of - season means that people are on holiday and more than a few casual fans who jump on the bandwagon when we''re doing well are as yet uninspired to come along particularly with the high casual ticket prices!

The crowd for the Watford game was lower than we would have liked but but a combination of holidays, high casual ticket prices and the game being on SKY caused this. All being said it was still a good turnout in the circumstances. I have been told that Mcnally has admitted that the category  plus ticket prices for the game against not very attractive opposition (no disrespect intended, Watford were much better than us!) that was live on TV was a mistake!

I still maintain that the casual ticket pricesfor category A games are going to scare people off attending. While price increases are enevitable, we have to be careful we don''t drive fans away like the S cum have done! 

Tickets are too expensive and a lot of people working for the council and NHS are going to be made redundant.Unless the extra setas are sold then they will be a waste of money and it would have been better to use the money to pay off debts.