Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

What is you "Bunny Larkins Shorts" moment as a City Fan?

I am sure we all remember the brilliance of Arrdee''s fantastic post about a wonderful moment at Carrow Road.  If you have not read it, then you have missed out and should read it now!  In keeping with this wonderful story I would love to know what everybody''s favourite memory at Carrow Road is.  I am sure no-one will top Arrdee but lets hear them anyway!

Mine happened on the 14th September 1991 and I was 11.  City played West Ham, we won 2-1 and it was the first time that Disco Dale scored two in a game for City.

I remember it because our school side had won the "Ken Brown Cup" and a few of us were invited to be ball boys.  My memory of the entire day is pretty vague, I don''t remember getting there, or home, I don''t even remember the goals but I do remember it was a great day.

My first recollection of the day was actually being inside Carrow Road, getting shown around by the kit man and being led into the City dressing room.  I still remember seeing the board up on the wall with the team jotted on it and as well as a few of Dave Stringers scribblings.  We were then given instructions on what to do by Dave Stringer no less, get the ball quickly if we were losing, slow it down if we were winning.  The kit man then told us where we would sitting during the match, I would be near the dug-outs.  We were then given a tiny little brown wooden stool on which to sit pitch side and handed an official Norwich City tracksuit.  I still remember the tracksuit to this day because it was covered in mud and probably hadn''t been washed since the season started.

After all the instructions were given, we put on the kit and were led out to the tunnel and awaited the players before kick-off.  It seemed to take an but the players finally arrived.  We had been told that the players would go out first and we would follow them and find our positions, mine was close to the away bench.  Every single player from City and West Ham acknowledged us and signed autographs, I wonder if they would now?  I remember the then West Ham keeper Ludek Miklosko ruffling my hair before he went out.  I will never forget the giant hand, that was probably bigger than my head, coming toward me.  

The only thing I remember about the actual match was Disco''s celebrations, I do still have the highlights shown on Anglia on VHS somewhere and can see myself running on the pitch after the game going over to Dale Gordon and congratulating him.  The rest of the match is a blur though.

The most memorable part of the day was at half time.  We were allowed to sit in the dug outs while the teams were in the changing rooms and someone brought us all a cup of tea that must have been made with 48% tea, 2% milk and 50% sugar.  It seems strange now but I was completely oblivious to the 20 thousand odd supporters at the time and it seemed like we were there on our own.  Not long before the second half, one of lads handed out some chewing gum and before I knew it, the players were back out.  The teams got back on the pitch and the coaching staff found their way to the dug-out''s.  I made my way back to my position and sat on my stool chewing the stick Wrigley''s my friend had passed round.  After about 30 seconds I heard Billy Bonds (the West Ham manager) shouting "Where the F is my chewing gum!".  It was the first and only time in my life I ever swallowed chewing gum and I don''t think I have ever a seen anyone so irate over a few sticks of gum.

Despite me spending most of the second half worrying about whether Billy Bonds knew I had consumed his gum, it was a great day and my fondest memory at Carrow Road.