Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Stick that to the detractors

You know who you are. All of those who have criticised Ruddy and Jackson. The starters of those now rather large threads criticising them before even giving them a chance to show what they can really do in a yellow jersey.

What do you think now, then? Ruddy was simply superb today, did everything brilliantly and if not for Ward''s wonderful performance would have been man of the match easily. The penalty save should be shown in the goalkeepers textbook as how to go about a penalty as a goalkeeper but pales in comparison to the point blank save in the second half which was, in my view, world class goalkeeper after sunday league defending.

And then there''s Simeon Jackson. Everyone having a right pop at him from earlier - but that finish today was top class. And that''s what he''s all about. Get the ball to him and get him in the box and I would bet on him getting the ball in the net more often than not. A proper fox in the box.

I think Ruddy had a good game and I also think he''s settled.  As for Jackson, good good goal, but it''s too early to tell how well he will do over the season. 

[quote user="TheGoogler"]You know who you are. All of those who have criticised Ruddy and Jackson. The starters of those now rather large threads criticising them before even giving them a chance to show what they can really do in a yellow jersey. What do you think now, then? Ruddy was simply superb today, did everything brilliantly and if not for Ward''s wonderful performance would have been man of the match easily. The penalty save should be shown in the goalkeepers textbook as how to go about a penalty as a goalkeeper but pales in comparison to the point blank save in the second half which was, in my view, world class goalkeeper after sunday league defending. And then there''s Simeon Jackson. Everyone having a right pop at him from earlier - but that finish today was top class. And that''s what he''s all about. Get the ball to him and get him in the box and I would bet on him getting the ball in the net more often than not. A proper fox in the box.[/quote]Err? WAY and I haven''t for starters, that applies to Ruddy too.

The bad news though is they have all gone back to having a go at Chris Martin and Wes now. I reckon if all our players changed their name by deed poll to Grant Holt, Anthony McNamee or Fraser Forster we wold win every game 15 - 0  

Why do you feel the need for an I told you so thread? People who support Man Utd moan about their team, it''s football and this is a discussion forum... what do you expect?!

Well done, Salford City Yellow; you have correctly identified this is an internet forum. However, you haven''t correctly identified that as a public internet forum of which I am a member, I can discuss matters freely without restriction. If I wanted to make an "I told you so" thread, I can and will make such a thread.

However, on top of that, you''ve failed to correctly identify what the purpose of my thread is. The point of this thread is not any sort of "I told you so" mentality. If I had wanted to do that, I''d do it on the original thread on which I told you so. That would emphasise the "I told you so" nature of it, wouldn''t it?

No, the point is actually just to say that pre-judging a player based on one or two games, especially with some of those games being friendlies, is pointless.

But thanks for your comments.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Well done, Salford City Yellow; you have correctly identified this is an internet forum. However, you haven''t correctly identified that as a public internet forum of which I am a member, I can discuss matters freely without restriction. If I wanted to make an "I told you so" thread, I can and will make such a thread.

However, on top of that, you''ve failed to correctly identify what the purpose of my thread is. The point of this thread is not any sort of "I told you so" mentality. If I had wanted to do that, I''d do it on the original thread on which I told you so. That would emphasise the "I told you so" nature of it, wouldn''t it?

No, the point is actually just to say that pre-judging a player based on one or two games, especially with some of those games being friendlies, is pointless.

But thanks for your comments.[/quote]The problem is that if Ruddy has a bad game against Forest there will be some more ''I told you so''s back in your direction, and the circle of tedium will be complete.I dont think anyone can judge on three league games. Ruddy looked poor against Watford, but quality in the last two. Certainly not enough time to make conclusions. I think he will turn out just fine personally.As for Jackson I havent seen many comments either way to be honest.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]You know who you are. All of those who have criticised Ruddy and Jackson. The starters of those now rather large threads criticising them before even giving them a chance to show what they can really do in a yellow jersey.

What do you think now, then? [/quote]As the starter of the "Ruddy Looks Cruddy" thread, I have four observations to make:1) He was poor against Everton, including one awful blunder which wouldn''t belong in park football2) He was poor against Watford3) He appeared to be much improved against Scunthorpe4) He was very good yesterday, though I''m not sure we''d be saying this if he''d not saved the penalty he gave away.  I''m all for penalty saves making heroes of goalkeepers and God knows it''s time we had a keeper who can save one, but he did give it away in the first place with a rash dive.So yes, he appears to be improving and if he carries on this rate of improvement, or stays at yesterday''s level of performance, I''ll be happy.  We''ve seen the best and worst of him now, let''s hope we keep seeing the best from now on.

I''ve seen all the official games so far and Ruddys hasn''t had a poor one yet. Against Watford he was let down by a very poor defence in front of him!

Jackson looks like a player that will do well alongside a targetman like Holt but not so much with Martin. Great finish for the 2nd goal!

New signings take a little time to get going. For instance Ward was embarrassing against Watford, got better against Gillingham though wasn''t convincing and in the last 2 games has been outstanding defensively! 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ve seen all the official games so far and Ruddys hasn''t had a poor one yet. Against Watford he was let down by a very poor defence in front of him!

[/quote]

Disagree, I thought all the defence were poor against Watford, the best of the bunch being Russell Martin.  Ruddy didn''t help himself by dropping a cross for Mariappa (spelling), only for the Watford player to somehow miss it.  And his dive for their 3rd goal was powder-puff, to say the least.

Your argument loses substance though because neither have actually proved anything yet so neither can say they''ve "stuck it" to anyone yet. Personally I think that Jackson will do a similar job for us this season as Oli did for us last. I think he will be good off the bench but a fairly ineffective starter, a poor mans Rob Earnshaw if you like. Ruddy I think will be OK. I worry about his ability in 1 on 1 situations but he should do for now. Not a long term acquisition in my view.