Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Some Alternative Observations

Did anyone else notice the Swansea manager scribbling furiously on his note pad in the first 15 minutes. He then switched his wingers before loading the wings to find the space our diamond leaves but, we need to exploit the space this in itself creates....but we didn''t.

Today was the first time I have seen Lambert go and sit for a long period (second half) in the dugout talking tactics with Culverhouse. Clearly, they got it right but today''s win owed much to tactic from the managers.

I can''t remember the last time I saw Drury so done for pace as he was in the first half. But, pro that he is the winger was taken off in the second half.

Chris Martin hit two wing passes second half to Holt that perfectly illustrated the vision he possesses...teriffic.

Two players got a massive lift today. Jackson needed a goal, and what a goal. He steered it rather than blasted it.

The other player was Ruddy. I liked his fighting talk before the Scunthorpe game when he asserted his right to be here over Fraser Forster and today he made the big save. I liked his post match interview. He was modest and clearly sets himself high standards saying his starting position for the pen was wrong and the penalty was his fault. He also showed he isn''t overawed by the established players but talked up his defence as if he owned them.

Swansea now know how many sides visiting FCR before them felt. They had possession, they made chances but...they lost because Norwich let you have the ball and yet never give up.

The referee won Norwich the game when he gave the penalty. If he had not, and if Ruddy hadn''t made the save then Norwich would not have been lifted by the crowd to go on and win it.

Swansea deserved something from the game; I''m glad they got nothing but they played proper football and looked decent on the ball. They will be one of the better sides we face this season. Funnily enough they reminded me of neat and tidy Southampton last season who beat us at home. We struggle to cope with tidy and organised sides and today we beat one.

Agree with every bit of that, but I still think you missed Elliot Ward. I thought he was outstanding today and I have chaged my mind on what he cant do. I saw the watford game and he looked hopeless and today he was the opposite end of the scale [y].

Ruddy has finally started to keep the fraser forster fans quiet with todays display the the penalty save!

Ward was all at sea in the Watford and looked worrying against Gilingham in the cup but in the last 2 games defensively has been fantastic!

Fans have been over critical of Ruddy but today his save without doubt won us the game!

We have our limitations, notably pace in the backline but we''ve proved that if we keep on working and protecting our backline we can win games against decent oppositon!

Some good observations here. The lads really had to earn the points today. What an adrenaline rush to score after the penalty save. I love moments like that.As Lambert said in his post-match interview, Swansea passed us off the pitch for long periods and we had to hang on in there to have any chance. But that''s exactly what the lads did. Great to see the never-say-die spirit instilled in the new players as well. We might have forgotten how many times Forster had to bailout our back line last season. Today Ruddy demonstrated he can also do just that with two great saves to keep us in it. Pivotal moments.It feels slightly churlish to criticise the players on the back of a great result. However Lambert will rightly be concerned that we were again outplayed in midfield, demonstrated by his constant shuffling of the midfield personnel in the second half. 

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Agree with every bit of that, but I still think you missed Elliot Ward. I thought he was outstanding today and I have chaged my mind on what he cant do. I saw the watford game and he looked hopeless and today he was the opposite end of the scale [y].

Ruddy has finally started to keep the fraser forster fans quiet with todays display the the penalty save!

[/quote]Bit of a long post for you isn''t it Banana?It simply won''t do. Not if you want to keep up that post count ratio of yours.

Very intelligent summary imo [Y].  At this moment i am concerned and encouraged in equal measure- concerned because i feel we have the ability to out-pass teams like Swansea but didn`t really show it today, encouraged because-like the Scunny game- we gutsed out a game we could easily have lost and showed character in spades.

Yesterday was one of those occasions, for me, that no matter how badly we might have played or if we didn''t deserve the points, it still felt brilliant getting the 3 points.

Give me that anyday than playin brilliantly and losing 0-1!

Although Swansea domminated the majority of the game and had more possession and shots on target i think the penalty save and the two late goals were in a way a reward for the tactical work done on Swansea''s wide men Dyer and Sinclair. Clearly Lambert, the players and staff had been putting in a lot of work on combating Swansea and their style of play. Even though we saw little of the ball and where forced to play almost as the away side at times we managed to limit Swansea to only a few dangerous opportunities and Korey Smith did a key job supporting Martin and Drury to keep Swansea''s wide men quiet and in the end we saw the reward for a well drilled hard working tactical battle.

Good post man.Agree totally, also agree with the bit about Ward.vs Watford i had to suffer the guy moaning on about how crap he was and how he was a liability etc etc etc, he was strangely silent yesterday.Anyone lucky / close enough to see Ward''s first half ( around 40th min ) body block of a clear Swansea chance at about 5 yards out would echo it, he got a huge cheer and you could hear the crunch ! Awesome defending and well deserved MoM.

Have to say that although Swansea did have the best of the game I don''t think the reason they lost was bad luck. For all their possession they only had 2 or 3 good chances and these were stop by great defending (Ward''s blocks) or great goal keeping (pen save). A really good three points but the way we played made me feel like we were the away team at times.

Still looks like the lads are gelling, and its brilliant that we are still picking up good points when we look a long way from playing at 100%