Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

Lamberts tactics

I would just like to say yesterday lamberts tactics and subs were spot on as in previous games. Yesterday it really showed for me. Going forward we used the left hand side of the pitch mainly with wes and surman early on doing the creating. When swansea had the ball we got right behind the ball and because of the strengh of korey and crofts they found it hard to break us down. Even though wes did not have a great game he got stuck in. Swansea are probably the best passing side in this division and it showed yesterday. They out passed us in long periods, lambert knows this and made a game plan to win it. It was not great to watch and thats probably why some people are saying certain players had bad games. We done a job on them and it worked. second half it was not working because swansea kept the ball so much so he changed it to 4 5 1 with martin as a winger/ forward mcnamme in on the other wing and with both subs involved in both goals he showed what class as a coach he has. We wont have games like that every week because we will out pass others at home more times than not and the likes of wes and surman will have great games. But yesterday was about frustrating swansea and nicking that goal and we done just that. spot on.

Lambert was spot on yesturday with the tactics but our 1st goal was a spot of luck on 2 occasions. Grant holt handeled the ball before he passed to macnamee and then their defender should have left the ball for the keeper but didn''t!

The 2nd goal was a brilliant counter attack, and that was always going to happen after we got our 1st as they were going to push on and we had Martin or macnamee on the wing with pace!

Yep, well done to Lambert.  Second game running his subs have changed the result.

What I like is the way he has used his subs, it is clear he believes in all the players within the squad and knows how and when to use them.  Last week he looked to Lappin, this week he chose McNamee.  Two very different players who both made telling contributions.

I agree. I sent an email into the FL show explaining his master tactics last night, but it didn''t get read out. [:(]

Lambert did well again yesterday.  A neutral might look at it and say we were negative and playing for a draw but I don''t think that is the case.  We allowed them possesion and we were happy for them to knock it around the middle of the park but as soon as they got anywhere near the final third we snuffed them out and tried to brake on the counter attack.  We knew that if we tried to go all out for the win it would leave gaping big holes for them to work their passing magic.

I was a bit suprised however when Surman was the first player to be brought off.  I thought he had a fairly decent game and was causing a few problems down the left for them.  Personally I would have brought Hoolahan off as he was having a mare but who cares now, it worked. 

It''s nice to see a manager and his team fully appreciate the fact that at the beginning of a game you have a point and that point is precious. It''s not negative to want to hold on to it considering there''s a full 90 minutes to turn that one point into three.

For me Lamberts greatest achievement is the mental strength he has instilled in his teams. Last season we scored so many late goals and are doing the same again this. Yes we are physically fit, but it''s the mental toughness, discipline and the determination that turns that one point into three.

[quote user="Brendo "]I agree. I sent an email into the FL show explaining his master tactics last night, but it didn''t get read out. [:(][/quote]

[N]

I like the fact that lambert always goes for the win when there are points to be gained.   both subs were attack minded when a more cautious manager could have opted to shore the midfield up to stem Swanseas passing.

[quote user="Delia Out"]

[quote user="Brendo "]I agree. I sent an email into the FL show explaining his master tactics last night, but it didn''t get read out. [:(][/quote]

[N]

[/quote]

DO YOU NOT REALISE ASTON VILLA NEED A MANAGER [:P]

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[N]

[/quote]

DO YOU NOT REALISE ASTON VILLA NEED A MANAGER [:P]

[/quote]

?

Lambert''s substitutions have become uncannily effective.

I think this is because we have such a good bench these days. Jackson, at his price, a Championship bench-warmer? Lappin, unlucky to be left out. Hughes, a decent player. McNamee an exciting alternative. Fox looks the part etc. etc.

Good squad, good management.

My one prediction here will be that the next time that we make an attacking substitution trying to change 1 point into 3 and City lose the game, the PinkUn Message Board board will end up in meltdown and every expert will crawl out of the woodwork and question Lambert''s tactics and substutions.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Lambert''s substitutions have become uncannily effective.

I think this is because we have such a good bench these days. Jackson, at his price, a Championship bench-warmer? Lappin, unlucky to be left out. Hughes, a decent player. McNamee an exciting alternative. Fox looks the part etc. etc.

Good squad, good management.

[/quote]

He was dreadful against Watford, and people insist on regarding him as a good player, let''s not forget that he couldn''t even hold his place in the Colchester team!

[quote user="Delia Out"] let''s not forget that he couldn''t even hold his place in the Colchester team![/quote]

Don''t be so naive. He didn''t play because Boothroyd is a long ball merchant, bypassing anyone in the centre.

Hold on a minute, lets not forget we were a penalty kick away from losing that game 0-1.

The diamond will struggle against any team that have good wingers.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Delia Out"] let''s not forget that he couldn''t even hold his place in the Colchester team![/quote]

Don''t be so naive. He didn''t play because Boothroyd is a long ball merchant, bypassing anyone in the centre.

[/quote]

Yeah, but let''s be honest, with Norwich playing the diamond formation, Crofts/Hughes and Gill can play at the base, we have Surman and Lappin on the left, Smith and McNamee on the right and Hoolahan/Surman/McNamee at the tip.

I don''t think that he really fits into our midfield.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Hold on a minute, lets not forget we were a penalty kick away from losing that game 0-1. The diamond will struggle against any team that have good wingers.[/quote]

I agree.  There will be quite a few times this season when the diamond just becomes to narrow to work.  Against good teams they will exploit this and we will have no option but to drop Hoolahan to go 4-4-2.  I don''t really know how Forest play but they are a good team despite their poor start and I am worried that away from home the diamond might not work against them.

I thought it was interesting that we used their refusal to hoof it forward to our advantage by marking all their team when the keeper had the ball forcing them to just pass it around in non dangerous areas and then often kicking it out for a throw in go us. Secondly I think there was an element of conserving energy during certain periods of the game due to the intense heat which allowed us to play til the end.

[quote user="shortfatb"]I thought it was interesting that we used their refusal to hoof it forward to our advantage by marking all their team when the keeper had the ball forcing them to just pass it around in non dangerous areas and then often kicking it out for a throw in go us. Secondly I think there was an element of conserving energy during certain periods of the game due to the intense heat which allowed us to play til the end.[/quote]

I said the same thing during the match; weather-wise it was muggy and potentially energy-sapping against Swansea. Retaining sufficient physical ''oomph'' was important in order to master the last 10 minutes. Combined with some excellent tactical substitutions, it was mission accomplished to secure two late goals.

If our stats away from home regularly showed 60% possession whilst losing 2-0 would we be content? Hardly!

40% possession and 3 league points sounds a far better return on energy to me.