Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Were Swansea actually that good?

I''ve read and heard a lot about Swansea being a great team - they broke the record for the most passes in a match last week, something like 700, thats impressive. And I have also read that they ''dominated'' our match and deserved at least a draw.

But I for one did not think they were any better than City. Yes they can pass the ball...but they did not offer much up front and only really had 2 telling chances, one from Sinclair and then the penalty.

Given our ''main two players'' Hoolahan and Holt were off colour yesterday...we still matched Swansea on the park and I would be upbeat if this is the strength of opposition we will be facing at Carrow Road every fortnight.

Every single game I have watched on Sky I have finished with"These don''t scare me"I think we''re pretty much up to the standard, and improving.

[quote user="morty"]Every single game I have watched on Sky I have finished with"These don''t scare me"I think we''re pretty much up to the standard, and improving.

[/quote]Bang on there, Morty my man [Y]We should fear no-one except ourselves!!

They were certainally missing strikers, Dobbie looked woeful Sinclair is obviously talented, as too is Pratley. Gower had Wes in his pocket. Cotterills tidy, decent little side. will keep lots of ball, cant see where the goals will come from though. Also had Bodde out, not sure if he was injured/suspended. They really need a goalscorer though and i feel they have a good enough midfield to play 2 up top.

[quote user="Largey"]

I''ve read and heard a lot about Swansea being a great team - they broke the record for the most passes in a match last week, something like 700, thats impressive. And I have also read that they ''dominated'' our match and deserved at least a draw.

But I for one did not think they were any better than City. Yes they can pass the ball...but they did not offer much up front and only really had 2 telling chances, one from Sinclair and then the penalty.

Given our ''main two players'' Hoolahan and Holt were off colour yesterday...we still matched Swansea on the park and I would be upbeat if this is the strength of opposition we will be facing at Carrow Road every fortnight.

[/quote]

Agreed. However ''good'' Swansea were lauded to be - they did not break us down and create or finish enough chances in open play. They conceded a soft OG and were opened up like kippers for a simple second. They can rack up 700 passes every game but that ain''t worth goals or points. How many years have we watched City spend ages creating but not finishing - that didn''t get us far either.

[quote user="Largey"]

[/quote]

Agreed. However ''good'' Swansea were lauded to be - they did not break us down and create or finish enough chances in open play. They conceded a soft OG and were opened up like kippers for a simple second. They can rack up 700 passes every game but that ain''t worth goals or points. How many years have we watched City spend ages creating but not finishing - that didn''t get us far either.

How very dare they try and be the Championship''s passing side.That title is clearly ours.

[quote user="morty"]How very dare they try and be the Championship''s passing side.That title is clearly ours.[/quote](When West Brom aren''t in it)

I thought we were excellent for 30 minutes then got a bit sloppy & Swansea the decent side they are capitilised & pretty much bossed the rest of the game other than the last five without creating a real clear cut chance other than a few last ditch blocks & of course the penalty. I think this was down to an excellent defensive performance rather than Swansea''s lack of invention.

I thought they looked a good side, I don''t think we''ll see too many sides at Carrow Road this season who will have as much of the ball as they did. Or at least I hope we won''t see many like that.

As others have said, they clearly lacked something in the middle up top. They''ve got danger men in the wide areas and channels but little through the middle.

They''ll definitely be nearer top than bottom.

Watched that dire match between Middlesboro and Sheff Utd yesterday. Both sides were tipped to be up there but I thought City (and Swansea) were streets ahead of both of them.

I thought they were decent but for all their possesion they only created a couple of decent chances. I thought the heat also played a major part in them having so much of the ball, it was simply to hot for our players to chase and harry them for 90 minutes so I think we invited them to try and break us down and played on the break like the away side. Dangerous game to play but if we had got in their faces and played a high tempo game we''d have been knackered after 30 minutes and they''d have just picked us off in the second half.

I have to say I had Middlesboro and Forest down as my pre-season favourites.

Boro looked terrible yesterday and their lack of home crowds wont help. I am really unsure that so many ex-SPL players makes a good team.

Forest seemto be struggling and seems a bit of turmoil between Davies, board and players.

As a result, I feel there is no reason why if we keep our confidence up we cant challenge for playoffs.

My ''new'' tips for promotion are certainly Cardiff. Now I have said it they will probably crash and burn!

I agree Pratley is the engine room for the team but I dont think we closed him down sufficiently. He is clearly a class player and I understand is reconsidering his future at the moment-  Forest are interested in him.    

They are a good side but will flatter to deceive a bit because they will pass it to death but don''t have the cutting edge if faced with solid opposition. Lambert knew this and in my view our tactics of sitting deep were deliberate. We were terrified of their pacey wingers getting in behind us but quite happy to let them play in front of us which is what happened. I do think we sat a bit too deep at times but i guess ultimately it worked so credit to Lambert,

I thought so yeh.Good passing team and that Pratley in the middle was a class act. Up and down the pitch all game, organising his midifeld and creating space, looks a good player

[quote user="Jim Smith"]They are a good side but will flatter to deceive a bit because they will pass it to death but don''t have the cutting edge if faced with solid opposition.[/quote]

I think that''s a pretty fair appraisal.  They will no doubt play some sides of the pitch this season as they did to Preston because they can retain the ball really well.  You have to be able to mix it up though and most top sides have a plan B, I don''t think Swansea have that.