Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Russell Martin and the absolute arrogance of his haters..

I''ve lost count of the amount of times on here that people have slated Russell Martin.I''ve never really seen his short comings before but presumed I was just missing something. However, after seeing the inclusion of Spillane in games late last year and the same haters saying that they preferred Spillane over Martin. I am now convinced that the Russell Martin haters are nothing less than arrogant fans who believe that because Martin was seen as a ''reject'' from Posh who the arrogant fans see as a lesser club than us that therefore he must be terrible. After all we''re better than Posh and Posh got rid of him and still failed even with a supposedly better player.Should R.Martin have come from say Liverpool like Otsemosh!te then he''d receive all the praise of any other player.I personally thought R.Martin was flawless yesterday, in fact better than flawless I thought he made an extremely good contribution.Long may he continue to grace our team.

Trouble with Martin is he receives the ball and then decides what to do with it so an opportunity to pass has already been missed. Sometimes he''s caught in possession and I don''t think he''s great going forward either. He''s pretty quick and the diamond certainly doesn''t help him to be fair because he has no outlet out wide. I think he''s ok but I certainly don''t feel that comfortable with defenders running at him and if I was the opposition I would be targeting him and Nels as our weak defensive links. Not arrogance, just realism. Holt''s from Shrewsbury and I fcuking love him!

R.Martin was very shoddy vs WatfordYesterday vs Swansea he played a stormer.A few observations : vs Swansea :   He was far bigger than both Sinclair and Dyer so was able to lean across them to beat them in the air 100% of the time. He also had back up from Korey Smith which  was solid. Smith and R.Martin also dealt well with the attempted cross over from Tate which was worrying to watch the move in place but satisfying to see it snubbed and R.Martin not being pulled out of position by Dyer and later Sinclair.I would risk saying that Martin and Smith worked better than say Martin and Fox.

*shrugs*All i know is that Martin impressed vs Swansea for me

i think one of his best games was against millwall at home last christmas as a make shift centreback.. he certainly didn''t look out of place [:D]

He was very good yesterday and has been in the other games I''ve seen him this season (aside from Watford where the whole defence was awful).

Contrary to what most people on here think, he seems to be making the step up to Champs fairly well at the mo.

Having had Otsemobor here i am surprised anyone criticises Russell Martin. People are allowed their own opinions, but Lambert in whom we trust likes him and thats enough for me

Been critical of him sometimes in the past. But I had absolutely no problem with him yesterday. Thought he had a very steady game against two very good wingers in Dyer and Sinclair who were getting on the ball a lot during the game.

I agree with the OP here.

It''s all a bit lame; people who constantly tell us who in their opinion is the latest Canaries ''weakest link''...zzzzz! How many of these people are actively involved in pro football or at the very least coach local football I wonder? Probably very few.

Yesterday Russell Martin and Korey Smith worked noticeably well together. Korey giving R. Martin some right midfield support that was completely missing in the Watford game.

A tad early to be slagging anybody off isn''t it?Let''s stick to Delia for the time being eh?

Russell Martin is almost my new favorite player...

Just behind Chris Martin :D (oh, but where do Grant Holt and Drury fit in? :S)

I still don''t see what Russell Martin ever did wrong to get the flack he has from certain fans. Apart from Orient last season when the whole team was poor I didn''t see him have a poor game.

I''ll be honest, I had my doubts about Martin coming into the season after a couple of dodgy performances towards the end of last, but he''s hardly put a foot wrong so far with Watford maybe being the exception. I agree that Korey has been ideal backup not only for Martin but the whole back four since Watford.

Every team has a ''worst'' player, rightly or wrongly the majority of people think he is ours!

Although, hes not very cool is he, hes never going to score many brownie points. There are certain factors that allow players to score brownie points, the more brownie points the longer than fans keep off the players back. For instance, coming through the academy, signing from a big club, wearing yellow boots, doing a cryuff turn every time he gets the ball, not been born in England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, Wearing Orange boots, being excessivly tall, being excessivly samll, having lots of pace, having a weird name, dying his hair yellow and green, even having a cool blonde stripe in his hair, wearing white boots Etc Etc all score players brownie points.

Unfortunatly R.Martin isnt any of the above, he signed from Peterboro, wears black boots, has a very boring simple name, isnt particulary small, nor tall, isnt the fastest and has boring hair but.........hes very steady, he tries hard every game, doesnt try and thing fancy, just goes out and does the job the best he can!

City fans are never going to make excuses for his bad games, hence why I feel he is unfairly treated!

Im not sure about him but could not fault him yesterday. Against watford I thought he had a better game than most. I would have said he was one of our best players that night.so far he has been solid. We dont have alot going forward that side of the pitch with korey there aswell. Most of our play is on the left with surman or down the middle with wes. Cant have all flair in the team. We need some steel.

[quote user="Clint"]He was very good yesterday and has been in the other games I''ve seen him this season (aside from Watford where the whole defence was awful). Contrary to what most people on here think, he seems to be making the step up to Champs fairly well at the mo.[/quote]Thank Gawd you said it Clint, I was starting to dispair on here today.