Sign in to follow this  
Talk Show Host

Grant Holt

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Yeah good assist Wiz but my reference was to the amount of ground he covered.. he wasn''t being his usual nuisance so we were losing the ball easily high up the pitch. He''s set his own high standards and I think he was about average today.[/quote]

Exactly my point.

Don''t forget, Wes had an off day and Holt is still regaining match fitness.

Kept going until the bitter end though, didn''t he?

Holt is a talisman and, as at Scunthorpe, is always likely to influence the result.

It might be more of a valid question as to whether Grant expends too much energy running the channels.

I can''t believe that after today people are writing Holt off! Last year he scored 30 goals, which is one hell of an achievement at any level, especially in your first season at the club, he has had an injury most of pre season, and only played two or three friendlies, then this season after 2 starts (vs Scunny and Gills) he scored 3 goals, and yet today he didn''t score, so hes getting slagged off! His cross to Jacko was inch perfect and I can''t really remember him making any mistakes. Maybe I wouldn''t play him Tuesday as he is still getting back to fitness and I don''t think the cup game is that important, so I would leave him out. But still, people always have to find negatives I suppose!

I thought he was far better than Martin and Hoolahan. I thought Wes had a real off day, especially with his passing, and Super Chris was well out of sorts.

Can''t fault Holts workrate, he was up against some very good defenders and tried to knock them about. The real disappointment was Wes, he had a shocker. But then, we knew Swansea would boss the midfield, all in all I can''t believe we won it and that''s just down to the spirit in the side.

I feel sure that Holt is good enough for this league. He cant be fully fit yet so it`s not fair to be too judgemental. It was worrying today that we put a lot of balls accross the face of goal on the first half but there was nobody there to knock them in. Holt need to do less work in the wide areas and concentrate his game on holding the ball up and getting into the box.

[quote user="Talk Show Host"]What really grinded (Is that a word?) my gears today was that 20 minute spell in the second half when Mr Holt didn''t even break into a run. He just stood there looking slightly more overweight than he normally does.[/quote]ground?Grant Holt can see the future. He didn''t run because he knew we would win anyway.

[quote user="Frank"][quote user="Talk Show Host"]What really grinded (Is that a word?) my gears today was that 20 minute spell in the second half when Mr Holt didn''t even break into a run. He just stood there looking slightly more overweight than he normally does.[/quote]ground?Grant Holt can see the future. He didn''t run because he knew we would win anyway.[/quote]Ah, that''ll be him using the old quantum mechanical tunnelling into the tangential universe thing then. Oldest trick in the book.Anyway, why''re you wearing that stupid man suit ??

O.K. I know that this is going to go down like a lead balloon but i now have serious reservations whether or not Holt will stick it at this level.

I made several observations yesterday that supports my theory.

Now i now he''s playing catch up and not 100% fit but i wouldn''t have thought he is now that far off of the pace:

- His first touch yesterday was awful, this was due to the defenders placing pressure on him immediately. He will not get the time on the ball like he had last season or against Gillingham in the cup game. Against ''lower'' team like Scunthorpe I think he''ll do ok. His assist for the second goal proves this as Swansea were pushing for an equaliser giving Holt more space to do what he is good at.

- His body language was at times bad. This may be due to him not having a great game. He was walking when he should have been running, and when he did run he looked well off the pace. I would even go as far as saying that he looked as if he was blowing out of his arse at times

- I can''t really remember him winning a header. Going down easily for a free kick is going to be picked up quickly by the referee''s in this league. He''s also not that good at winning free kicks at sometimes it very theatrical. Iwan Roberts was the master of winning cheap free kicks!

- The goal assist aside, his distribution was also awful, again due to the pressure being placed on him by the defender.

I''m not one for slagging off players and I really like Grant Holt. I hope that i am wrong in my analysis!

"I''m not one for slagging off players.........." but I will anyway!

Does this show a trend on this forum?

How pleasant it would be to say who people had really good games instaed of always trying to pick out the worst.

It must be r3eally annoying for some people that Ruddy, War and Russell Martin had good games yesterday as they were all up there ready to be criticised.

I winder who the next player will be to get merciless criticism on this board and, if he reads it, loses confidence because of it.

Me ....... well played Ruddy, Ward Russell Martin and, for me, Crofts who I felt all played well.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]O.K. I know that this is going to go down like a lead balloon but i now have serious reservations whether or not Holt will stick it at this level.

I made several observations yesterday that supports my theory.

Now i now he''s playing catch up and not 100% fit but i wouldn''t have thought he is now that far off of the pace:

- His first touch yesterday was awful, this was due to the defenders placing pressure on him immediately. He will not get the time on the ball like he had last season or against Gillingham in the cup game. Against ''lower'' team like Scunthorpe I think he''ll do ok. His assist for the second goal proves this as Swansea were pushing for an equaliser giving Holt more space to do what he is good at.

- His body language was at times bad. This may be due to him not having a great game. He was walking when he should have been running, and when he did run he looked well off the pace. I would even go as far as saying that he looked as if he was blowing out of his arse at times

- I can''t really remember him winning a header. Going down easily for a free kick is going to be picked up quickly by the referee''s in this league. He''s also not that good at winning free kicks at sometimes it very theatrical. Iwan Roberts was the master of winning cheap free kicks!

- The goal assist aside, his distribution was also awful, again due to the pressure being placed on him by the defender.

I''m not one for slagging off players and I really like Grant Holt. I hope that i am wrong in my analysis![/quote]I don''t think theres a lot wrong in your assessment, to be honest. I thought Grant''s first touch was pretty bad at times yesterday, but I am hoping that its just down to lack of match fitness / practise. He did good things too yesterday, not least the cross for the goal, so I''m not being completely down oh him but, like you, I don''t think he''s firing on all cylinders just yet.That said, it really doesn''t matter who scores the goals to win the games.[:)]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]"I''m not one for slagging off players.........." but I will anyway!

Does this show a trend on this forum?

How pleasant it would be to say who people had really good games instaed of always trying to pick out the worst.

It must be r3eally annoying for some people that Ruddy, War and Russell Martin had good games yesterday as they were all up there ready to be criticised.

I winder who the next player will be to get merciless criticism on this board and, if he reads it, loses confidence because of it.

Me ....... well played Ruddy, Ward Russell Martin and, for me, Crofts who I felt all played well.[/quote]I have seen very little mindless slagging off recently (though do accept theres still some there) I think most people are more than pleased with the defence (who kept another clean sheet) who have come in for criticism.But the message board would be pretty boring if there was just one thread called "Everything is perfect" and we all just agreed.

If Grant Holt can play ''p1ss poor'', Wes be ''non-existent'', the rest of the team be useless and STILL win 2 zip against a decent Swansea side, then that makes me pretty happy!I''ll take that every week!Just think what we''d be like if we actually played well! [:O]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]If Grant Holt can play ''p1ss poor'', Wes be ''non-existent'', the rest of the team be useless and STILL win 2 zip against a decent Swansea side, then that makes me pretty happy!I''ll take that every week!Just think what we''d be like if we actually played well! [:O][/quote]Neither is particularly true though. Hoolahan was well marked and didn''t have his best game, but he was far from "non existant" and Grant played at about 70% of the standard he is capable of, but certainly nowhere near "p1ss poor". I think people really are dealing in an extreme context here where a player is either Pele or Otsemebor.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"]If Grant Holt can play ''p1ss poor'', Wes be ''non-existent'', the rest of the team be useless and STILL win 2 zip against a decent Swansea side, then that makes me pretty happy!I''ll take that every week!Just think what we''d be like if we actually played well! [:O][/quote]Neither is particularly true though. Hoolahan was well marked and didn''t have his best game, but he was far from "non existant" and Grant played at about 70% of the standard he is capable of, but certainly nowhere near "p1ss poor". I think people really are dealing in an extreme context here where a player is either Pele or Otsemebor.[/quote]I was going to add a ''NB'' to that. Those weren''t my thoughts Morts. Just some of the things I''d been picking up on here this morning.I wasn''t there.... [:''(]The highlights on FL Show were good though! [Y]Cracking finish from young Simeon. Hopefully that will do the boy a world of good!

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"]If Grant Holt can play ''p1ss poor'', Wes be ''non-existent'', the rest of the team be useless and STILL win 2 zip against a decent Swansea side, then that makes me pretty happy!I''ll take that every week!Just think what we''d be like if we actually played well! [:O][/quote]Neither is particularly true though. Hoolahan was well marked and didn''t have his best game, but he was far from "non existant" and Grant played at about 70% of the standard he is capable of, but certainly nowhere near "p1ss poor". I think people really are dealing in an extreme context here where a player is either Pele or Otsemebor.[/quote]I was going to add a ''NB'' to that. Those weren''t my thoughts Morts. Just some of the things I''d been picking up on here this morning.I wasn''t there.... [:''(]The highlights on FL Show were good though! [Y]Cracking finish from young Simeon. Hopefully that will do the boy a world of good![/quote]I have actually stopped coming on here after matches now, because the ridiculous knee jerk opinions make me want to try and find out where these people live so I can slap some sense into them lol.Yeah, the highlights were really good, they maybe flattered us a little but we obviously made more of our chances. Simeon''s goal was amazing, I said in another thread that you want to just get your first goal, and don''t care if it bounces off your arse, but to finish with such skill and confidence makes me think we may have found something special.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"]If Grant Holt can play ''p1ss poor'', Wes be ''non-existent'', the rest of the team be useless and STILL win 2 zip against a decent Swansea side, then that makes me pretty happy!I''ll take that every week!Just think what we''d be like if we actually played well! [:O][/quote]Neither is particularly true though. Hoolahan was well marked and didn''t have his best game, but he was far from "non existant" and Grant played at about 70% of the standard he is capable of, but certainly nowhere near "p1ss poor". I think people really are dealing in an extreme context here where a player is either Pele or Otsemebor.[/quote]I was going to add a ''NB'' to that. Those weren''t my thoughts Morts. Just some of the things I''d been picking up on here this morning.I wasn''t there.... [:''(]The highlights on FL Show were good though! [Y]Cracking finish from young Simeon. Hopefully that will do the boy a world of good![/quote]I have actually stopped coming on here after matches now, because the ridiculous knee jerk opinions make me want to try and find out where these people live so I can slap some sense into them lol.Yeah, the highlights were really good, they maybe flattered us a little but we obviously made more of our chances. Simeon''s goal was amazing, I said in another thread that you want to just get your first goal, and don''t care if it bounces off your arse, but to finish with such skill and confidence makes me think we may have found something special.[/quote]THAT would be a whole lotta slapping! [:D]

I dont think Holt will cut it at this level and we really should buy another striker before the window closes , injuries, suspensions and poor form is bound to happen and we really are feather light up front . So far we have been slightly fortunate to take 6 points from the first 3 games and we really have had one of the easiest starts possible , much better sides and harder tasks are still to come.

[quote user="Wxyz"]I dont think Holt will cut it at this level and we really should buy another striker before the window closes , injuries, suspensions and poor form is bound to happen and we really are feather light up front . So far we have been slightly fortunate to take 6 points from the first 3 games and we really have had one of the easiest starts possible , much better sides and harder tasks are still to come.[/quote][|-)]

I thought holt did more out of the front 3 and is it a coinsidence that we play our best when wes and martin are subed for mcnamme and jackson? Dont think so

[quote user="Wxyz"]I dont think Holt will cut it at this level and we really should buy another striker before the window closes , injuries, suspensions and poor form is bound to happen and we really are feather light up front . So far we have been slightly fortunate to take 6 points from the first 3 games and we really have had one of the easiest starts possible , much better sides and harder tasks are still to come.
[/quote]

Just about sums up some of the prats on here. We have won our last 3 games, scoring 7 and conceding just once in the process (it doesn''t matter who you are playing, you still have to stick it in the net). There are no easy games in this league, Scunthorpe won away at Reading then a week later we go to their place and beat them. Swansea won 4-0 last week, then we beat them 2-0. Holt has one game where he doesnt score, but was very much involved in both goals, and gets slagged off. I think Holt will make it in this league, he has only started 3 games and already scored 3 (as I said, it doesnt matter who against, so dont come back saying ''two of those were against L2 oppo''). Surely writing off a player after 3 games, while not fully fit, is just pointless?

Holt had a below-par game, yet still contributed to both goals. I''ll take that...

I do agree that another striker would be nice though. Shame Brett Pitman''s on the verge of joining Bristol City, as I think he''d be a superb young player to have.

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user="Wxyz"]I dont think Holt will cut it at this level and we really should buy another striker before the window closes , injuries, suspensions and poor form is bound to happen and we really are feather light up front . So far we have been slightly fortunate to take 6 points from the first 3 games and we really have had one of the easiest starts possible , much better sides and harder tasks are still to come.[/quote]

Just about sums up some of the prats on here. We have won our last 3 games, scoring 7 and conceding just once in the process (it doesn''t matter who you are playing, you still have to stick it in the net). There are no easy games in this league, Scunthorpe won away at Reading then a week later we go to their place and beat them. Swansea won 4-0 last week, then we beat them 2-0. Holt has one game where he doesnt score, but was very much involved in both goals, and gets slagged off. I think Holt will make it in this league, he has only started 3 games and already scored 3 (as I said, it doesnt matter who against, so dont come back saying ''two of those were against L2 oppo''). Surely writing off a player after 3 games, while not fully fit, is just pointless?

[/quote] Of course it matters who against are you trying to say Gillinghams defence is on a par with Championship sides ? Martin bagged 2 against them but hasnt looked like finding the net at the higher level yet . Holt has been a lower league player all his career and he looks it too , in fact his main attribute is he puts himself about a bit , would be surprised if he nets 15 Championship goals this season .

[quote user="book end"]Can''t fault Holts workrate, he was up against some very good defenders and tried to knock them about. The real disappointment was Wes, he had a shocker. But then, we knew Swansea would boss the midfield, all in all I can''t believe we won it and that''s just down to the spirit in the side.[/quote]I totally agree with this. Wes has been asked to provide more cover defensively in this league, which IS the way it should be. The problem is, when he was playing further up the pitch last year his tendency to give the ball away wasn''t punished so much. In this league it will be and he won''t be giving it away in the opponents half but ours! I am a huge Hoola-fan and he can really make us tick on his day, but I thought he had a bit of a shocker yesterday. Holt worked like mad and you can always see him trying to organise and making his feelings known. I think that shows his passion. I do agree that he had an off day and didn''t look right however.Although he won''t score as many in this league, he''ll get through a hell of a lot of ground and make important contributions. We need him in the side!

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I thought holt did more out of the front 3 and is it a coinsidence that we play our best when wes and martin are subed for mcnamme and jackson? Dont think so[/quote]Martin wasn''t subbed, he won the tackle that led to Jackson''s goal.

[quote user="bloodwagon"][quote user="Talk Show Host"]

Piss poor today.

How can you say that???

He set up BOTH goals!!!!!

/End thread.

[/quote][/quote]

Well it was McNamee''s cross that caused the own goal, but Holt''s assist for the second goal was phenominal [:D]

It really annoys me how people on this board slate people after one bad game. Yes, Holt, Hoolahan, Martin probably werent at their best yesterday but between them they got us up last year with over 60 goals between them.

Think of everything they have done, not the errors they make. Holt and Hooly were brilliant against Scunthorpe last week.

Wasn''t his best performance but showing the marks of a class act, played a role in both goals!

Silly to say he was por cause the end product was there even if hedidn''t a lot else.

Would rather have a Holt having a quiet game yet still playing a part in us getting 2 goals rather than a Lee Croft running around like a headless chicken showing plenty of effort but b ugger all end product!