Sign in to follow this  
Talk Show Host

Grant Holt

As great a player and captain he is for us... I sadly have to agree. Apart from the cross for Jackson''s goal and taking advantage of the piss poor ref, he didn''t quite look his usual self.

The vital question now is, play him tuesday or rest him?

Put himself about a bit but that was it.

Chris Martin did even less.

(but at least they managed to combine for Jacko''s goal)

I disagree, put himself about a bit, held the ball up and was involved with both goals. It wasn''t his best performance but it seems weird to single him out.

OTBC

[quote user="I am a Banana"]How dId holt set up both goals?! Macnamee crossed for thrbown goal![/quote]Who passed to Macnamee ??(hint Holt )

[quote user="Canariesworld"]I disagree, put himself about a bit, held the ball up and was involved with both goals. It wasn''t his best performance but it seems weird to single him out. OTBC[/quote]

Correct, he shouldn''t be singled out.

It would be fair to say that the attacking trio of Martin, Holt and Hoolahan were all some way short of playing their best football today and we looked considerably more lively going forward following the introduction of McNamee and Jackson.

What really grinded (Is that a word?) my gears today was that 20 minute spell in the second half when Mr Holt didn''t even break into a run. He just stood there looking slightly more overweight than he normally does.

They are not going to be first rate every game as we see with every team. What''s important is that over a series of games they do the business and so far they are. It''s also good tosee that we keep going to the very end with a 90 minute goal in each league game and a neer 90 minute goal in the C Cup game.

Come on. Holt was not as bad as you are all making out. 1st half he was his usual self, runing around, chasing back but as Martin was also drifting we had no central striker. Lambert obviously told Hold to stay central for the second half which is why it looked like he wasn''t doing anything.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]He won''t be perfect every match he''s bloody human, get off his back[/quote]

No no no, I''m just trying to get at his lack of work today, of course he won''t be amazing every week, but he could at least try or even make it look like he''s trying.

As I said before, he won''t be perfect week in, week out, none of them are.  Each of our players has an off day, like you and me, one day I might feel like running 5 miles, another day I won''t feel like running 500 yards.

If he continues like he was today at times, then we have cause for complaining about his lack of effort. 

Sometimes we expect players to be super human, and the fact is there isn''t a single player in any league around the world that will put in 110% each game.

That''s the way the cookie crumbles, that''s football [:D]

He was really suffering with the heat = you could see it on his face. He''s a bulky bloke, and not young, so it''s to be expected. But he never gave up, as usual, and made the second goal.

[quote user="Talk Show Host"]What really grinded (Is that a word?) my gears today was that 20 minute spell in the second half when Mr Holt didn''t even break into a run. He just stood there looking slightly more overweight than he normally does.[/quote]The word you are looking for is "ground" [:D]But we all knew what you meant [;)]

[quote user="Kathy"]Judge him at the end of the season.[/quote]Was he sexy today Kathy?

Holt, Hoolahan and Martin were all poor today but as for some people saying the whole team was poor, I don''t think that is right.

K.Smith and Crofts were both very good and Surman showed a few glimpses that he is going to be a good player once he gets going.  Also the back four done superbly well today.  I am not a Russel Martin fan at all but I have to say he did really well today and ecspecially Ward aswell.  And we all know about Ruddy!

I thought that Martin ran that extra mile today to make up for Holt. Usually it''s the other way around and I like the way the compliment each other. Glad to see Simeon get off the mark. Would like to see some time for Oli as well, he''s good on the ball and I''m convinced he could beat players at this level as well.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I thought that Martin ran that extra mile today to make up for Holt. Usually it''s the other way around and I like the way the compliment each other. Glad to see Simeon get off the mark. Would like to see some time for Oli as well, he''s good on the ball and I''m convinced he could beat players at this level as well.[/quote]Have you all forgot Grants 93rd minute assist?

Or does that ruin this thread?

Yeah good assist Wiz but my reference was to the amount of ground he covered.. he wasn''t being his usual nuisance so we were losing the ball easily high up the pitch. He''s set his own high standards and I think he was about average today.

His work rate today was only about 50%compared with last season. He did little of his usual chasing back and harrying etc. Did not easily maintain possession. No great visible signs but I can only conclude he is not fully fit. It was a very hot day.

Having said all that, the way he spotted Jackson unmarked and produced a superb inch perfect cross after 94 mins says a lot about his character and ability.