Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

So many empty seats...

...not at Carrow Road, at other clubs. Having just watched the FLS, i was shocked. A lot of championship games looked like league two games being played in front of half empty stadiums. QPR, top of the table and flying - 12,000. Coventry less than half full and empty seats everywhere, ditto Deepdale, less than 10,000.

Don''t suppose we should be too concerned about ourselves being a bit down on last year given these attendances. Total championship attendances must be down on previous seasons overall.

Football is slowly killling itself. Ticket prices are far to high pricing people out of the game, To much media exposure, To many live games on tv. The money obsessed world of the Prem League where players earn a week what many take 8 years to earn. Football used to be a working class game but people seem to have fallen out of love with it. As for our crowds if the club decide to hike up season ticket prices next season we will probably see the same scenes.

The world cup is a very fair point well made, the floating fan needs reconvincing and looks like there is a lot of convincing to do in Wigan, Coventry and QPR!

To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978 Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850The main sport in the town in rugby league.In 1992 the average Norwich City attendance was just 13,853 in the top division.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978

Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.

Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850

The main sport in the town in rugby league.

*In 1992 the average Norwich City attendance was just 13,853 in the top division.*
[/quote]

Very true.....I used to be able to turn up at the Barclay 10 minutes before kick-off, pay at the turnstile and go straight in to watch City play the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal etc....Then run up to the Kingsway after the full-time whistle, to see the goals on the local news on the telly in there...  

[quote user="tom cavendish"]To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978 Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850The main sport in the town in rugby league.In 1992 the average Norwich City attendance was just 13,853 in the top division.[/quote]It was a ''proper'' crowd back then though........Barely a luvvie in sight.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978 Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850The main sport in the town in rugby league.[/quote]Agree with all this but perhaps after last season''s 8-0 demolition at Stamford Bridge only really die-hard Wigan fans would want to see it live.It would have been bad enough watching it on TV from behind the sofa........ 

Football is killing itself and i think the falling premier league attendances will be more of a problem for premier league clubs as they come to rely almost exclusively on tv money for income rather than gates.

All but the top premier clubs are balancing on a cliff edge should they ever be relegated. That''s why they upped the parachute payments - the PL had no choice if they want to avoid killing every club that gets promoted.

Many clubs are sitting on a financial time bomb just waiting to go off as soon as they go down. We are actually in a stronger position in many ways because our fan base is a far more reliable income stream. That''s why it''s absolutely imperative that the club remains connected to and embedded in its community and whatever you think about Smith, i think she understands that.

Watching the Boro - Sheff U match and its spot the crowd and the football is absolutely terrible too , whoever had Boro down as pre season favourites are way off the mark .

[quote user="tom cavendish"]To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978

Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.

Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850

The main sport in the town in rugby league.

In 1992 the average Norwich City attendance was just 13,853 in the top division.
[/quote]

This from the bloke who told me that rugby had no bearing on the Bristol club`s crowds......[^o)]

And Newcastle''s crowd was well below capacity too despite it being their first game back in the Premier League. It looks like fans are finally turning their backs on greedy clubs who think they can charge them the earth and they will continue to turn up docilely like sheep.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]To be fair to Wigan Ath they were only promoted to the football league in 1978 Wigan is a town and surrounded by lots of Premiership clubs.Wigan Ath average in 2002 was 5,850The main sport in the town in rugby league.In 1992 the average Norwich City attendance was just 13,853 in the top division.[/quote]

This from the bloke who told me that rugby had no bearing on the Bristol club`s crowds......[^o)]

[/quote]Football has always been the main sport in Bristol and it is a massive city with a million people living in the local area.

Right, i get it.  So rugby has a huge influence on Wigans gates but no influence on the Bristol clubs, despite both places having big rugby clubs?  Wonderful logic.....

Championship Attendances Yesterday - by League Position

QPR (v Scunthorpe) 12, 046

Cardiff (v Doncaster) 24, 027

Burnley (v Leicester) 15,516

Coventry (v Derby) 13,169

Ipswich ( at C. Palace ) - - -

Millwall ( at Leeds ) - - -

Norwich ( v Swansea ) 23,852

Watford ( at Hull ) - - -

Leeds ( v Millwall ) 25,067

Middlesbro ( v Sheff U ) 14,633

Doncaster ( at Cardiff ) - - -

Hull ( v Watford) 20,426

Barnsley ( at Bristol C) - - -

Swansea ( at Norwich ) - - -

C. Palace (v Ipswich) 15,781

Derby ( at Coventry) - - -

Scunthorpe ( at Q.P.R) - - -

Preston ( v Portsmth) 9,666

Reading ( v N. Forest) 17,324

N. Forest ( at Reading) - - -

Bristol C. (V Barnsley) 13,585

Portsmth (at Preston ) - - -

Leicester (at Burnley) - - -

Sheff U. ( at Middlesbro) - - -

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Right, i get it.  So rugby has a huge influence on Wigans gates but no influence on the Bristol clubs, despite both places having big rugby clubs?  Wonderful logic.....[/quote]

But you are comparing Rugby Union (Bristol) to Rugby League (Wigan) which are different sports and attract totality different crowds.

ummmm - did you not see the amount of empty seats at CR?

what a waste of money putting those extra seats in!!

may eat my words as its still summer, but could have easily got and 2k in yesterday

a) People on holiday

b) V Fesitval this weekend

could be contributing factors as to why there were so many empty seats?

I''m sure it''ll pick up in September...

Wigan is most definatley a rugby town, and rugby will always come first, this simply cannot be compared to Bristol!

I imagine most of the Wigan RL fans support Wigan AFC but when it comes to spending their pennies the rugger comes first! 

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Right, i get it.  So rugby has a huge influence on Wigans gates but no influence on the Bristol clubs, despite both places having big rugby clubs?  Wonderful logic.....[/quote]

I might not be right - but a friend lives in Bristol, and Rugby definately comes first there!

For income purposes just realised that Crystal Palace home gates are effectively 7000 less as that number of season tickets were sold by the administrators, money that the new owners will never see, but have agreed to honour. 

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

I might not be right - but a friend lives in Bristol, and Rugby definately comes first there!

[/quote]You are wrong. Bristol rugby club often get crowds of less than 5,000. Bristol City average last season was 14,601, Rovers average was 7,043.

[quote user="JF"]Football is slowly killling itself. Ticket prices are far to high pricing people out of the game, To much media exposure, To many live games on tv. The money obsessed world of the Prem League where players earn a week what many take 8 years to earn. Football used to be a working class game but people seem to have fallen out of love with it. As for our crowds if the club decide to hike up season ticket prices next season we will probably see the same scenes.[/quote]

Tom, you and Morty seem to be obcessed with the "working class". It was a "man''s game" where you went with your mates and enjoyed a pint, a piss, a fag and a shout no matter what class you were.

In an attempt to bring sexual equality into the game football has been rebranded as "family entertainment". All seater stadiums have been created as much for women to be able to see the game as for safety and the truth of the matter is that women (having found out what the men do at a game) are not really interested.

Also ,for family entertainment, football is rather expensive. It is women that are at the root of the empty seats and falling attendances.

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="JF"]Football is slowly killling itself. Ticket prices are far to high pricing people out of the game, To much media exposure, To many live games on tv. The money obsessed world of the Prem League where players earn a week what many take 8 years to earn. Football used to be a working class game but people seem to have fallen out of love with it. As for our crowds if the club decide to hike up season ticket prices next season we will probably see the same scenes.[/quote]

Tom, you and Morty seem to be obcessed with the "working class". It was a "man''s game" where you went with your mates and enjoyed a pint, a piss, a fag and a shout no matter what class you were.

In an attempt to bring sexual equality into the game football has been rebranded as "family entertainment". All seater stadiums have been created as much for women to be able to see the game as for safety and the truth of the matter is that women (having found out what the men do at a game) are not really interested.

Also ,for family entertainment, football is rather expensive. It is women that are at the root of the empty seats and falling attendances.[/quote]Eh?I have never advocated anything of the sort.[:|]

Firstly Bristol are currently in second division for rugby!

From what my friend has told me many ppl play rugby rather than watch it!

22k watching Bristol football clubs is quite poor in such a large city

costings have been inflated for these first two games , summer time is always a problem for getting casual supporters , neither visiting club has bought many fans with them and people are away at the moment - I findit interesting that we have 20.500 season ticket holders - so just over 3,000 casual sales ( including visitors ) - I make that around 2,500 home casual ticket holders on Saturday , people put off by the high price I assume

Will be interesting to see the BArnsley attendence - being a grade B game and when life returns to normal after the summer , if that does not sell out then the club may have to rethink things

Gary, the stewards were saying Swansea had 3-400 so that`s about 3000 home supporters.  With the price increases the club probably made more cash saturday than the vast majority of home games last season.

Agree with your last comment.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bobert"][quote user="JF"]Football is slowly killling itself. Ticket prices are far to high pricing people out of the game, To much media exposure, To many live games on tv. The money obsessed world of the Prem League where players earn a week what many take 8 years to earn. Football used to be a working class game but people seem to have fallen out of love with it. As for our crowds if the club decide to hike up season ticket prices next season we will probably see the same scenes.[/quote] Tom, you and Morty seem to be obcessed with the "working class". It was a "man''s game" where you went with your mates and enjoyed a pint, a piss, a fag and a shout no matter what class you were. In an attempt to bring sexual equality into the game football has been rebranded as "family entertainment". All seater stadiums have been created as much for women to be able to see the game as for safety and the truth of the matter is that women (having found out what the men do at a game) are not really interested. Also ,for family entertainment, football is rather expensive. It is women that are at the root of the empty seats and falling attendances.[/quote]

Eh?

I have never advocated anything of the sort.

[:|]
[/quote]

Morty you write so much you forget what you do write..... you forgotten already about pies for the "working class"?