Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

So here's something interesting

Matty Gilks has just been called up for Scotland along with "Norwich City''s David Marshall" (BBC - I''m sure they''ll notice the mistake in due course.

The interesting part is not the mistake, but the call up. For starters I thought Gilks was English, for second I think it just goes to show what we had on our books without ever knowing it. I''m not a massive fan of David Marshall, and part of me is now wondering what if we''d given him a chance?

Still, ifs and buts I know but food for thought. Finally, congrats to Matty Gilks and hope he continues to show what a good keeper he is.

But you''ve got to remember we used him as a makeweight in order to bring Wes to the club. Considering that Marshall was actually a pretty decent keeper for us I don''t think anybody felt it was a bad piece of business as the time particularly as Wes tore us to shreds when Blackpool played us at Carrow Road. Indeed I would rank that as one of the few excellent pieces of business that Roeder did. The problem was that he then failed to utilise him properly.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Matty Gilks has just been called up for Scotland along with "Norwich City''s David Marshall" (BBC - I''m sure they''ll notice the mistake in due course. The interesting part is not the mistake, but the call up. For starters I thought Gilks was English, for second I think it just goes to show what we had on our books without ever knowing it. I''m not a massive fan of David Marshall, and part of me is now wondering what if we''d given him a chance? Still, ifs and buts I know but food for thought. Finally, congrats to Matty Gilks and hope he continues to show what a good keeper he is.[/quote]

It''s also amazing that City get a mention anywhere in a football news story, at any time and especially erroneously. Often when the likes of Bruce, Crouch, Green, Townshend, Bellamy etc are mentioned, as to their playing history, the writer will conveniently forget to mention they played for Norwich City, but have no trouble remembering "massive clubs" such as Gillingham in the piece.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

But you''ve got to remember we used him as a makeweight in order to bring Wes to the club. Considering that Marshall was actually a pretty decent keeper for us I don''t think anybody felt it was a bad piece of business as the time particularly as Wes tore us to shreds when Blackpool played us at Carrow Road. Indeed I would rank that as one of the few excellent pieces of business that Roeder did. The problem was that he then failed to utilise him properly.

[/quote]Wes had a 250k release clause though I think, we just gave them Gilks. Probably because he was getting unhappy about not getting a chance here.