Sign in to follow this  
zak123

What is happening with all of these free seats?

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="The Butler"]

We have had an interesting reply to our 16-21 piece on the Tackles page NCISA website from a fan Canary Ryan.

Worth a read[:)]

http://ncisa.co.uk/tackles

[/quote]

Sorry got the link wrong!!!!!

http://www.ncisa.co.uk

[/quote]

Very interesting, especially this bit

The success in
2009/10 brought about the decision to have no less than nine A grade
games in the second half of the season as demand for tickets
increased.It is accepted that the grading of games is not an exact
science and whilst acknowledging that the Watford game drew criticism
for being A grade Richard told me that there were more home fans
amongst the attendance for this season''s opener than there were for
the Colchester opener last year which was B grade.

A simple calculation with many wild assumptions LOL :

A 22,000 gate gives us 1,500 seats sold at 30 quid = 45,000 pounds from casual fans

A 26,000 gate gives us 5,500 seats sold at 25 quid =  137,500 pounds from casual fans

Thus, if lowering the price to 25 quid garners those extra fans, surely that makes sense........ 92,500 pounds potential extra revenue plus all of that extra support and noise.

WAY49 I think you are actually the one missing the bigger picture. I partly agree with your comments about higher prices being relevant to the quality of the playing squad. Personally I''m not complaining too much about the prices because they seem to be fairly similar to other championship clubs.

However, so far this season we have only sold an average of 3000 general sale tickets (including away tickets) per match.

At the moment as pointed out earlier in this post, season ticket holders are getting an amazing deal. This WILL NOT continue next season, that''s a fact because there is no way the club can sell season tickets so cheap in comparison to casual tickets.

At the moment the people complaining are those who buy casual tickets and those with season tickets don''t see the issue. Next season the season ticket holders will also be unhappy about the huge hike up in prices. This could (it may not) mean a massive reduction in both season tickets and thus overall attendance next season.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="The Butler"]

We have had an interesting reply to our 16-21 piece on the Tackles page NCISA website from a fan Canary Ryan.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The success in

[/quote]

But we have an extra 550 season ticket holders this season who are only paying around £17 a game which is much lower than a grade B game.

OTBC

[quote user="Canariesworld"]WAY49 I think you are actually the one missing the bigger picture. I partly agree with your comments about higher prices being relevant to the quality of the playing squad. Personally I''m not complaining too much about the prices because they seem to be fairly similar to other championship clubs. However, so far this season we have only sold an average of 3000 general sale tickets (including away tickets) per match. At the moment as pointed out earlier in this post, season ticket holders are getting an amazing deal. This WILL NOT continue next season, that''s a fact because there is no way the club can sell season tickets so cheap in comparison to casual tickets. At the moment the people complaining are those who buy casual tickets and those with season tickets don''t see the issue. Next season the season ticket holders will also be unhappy about the huge hike up in prices. This could (it may not) mean a massive reduction in both season tickets and thus overall attendance next season.[/quote]

And how do you know there will be ''huge'' hikes in ST prices?  Are you privy to club information that you''d like to share with the rest of us?  If not you are guessing like everyone else, a guess is not fact, and that is a fact.

I didn''t whine and moan about the casual prices I had to pay when I didn''t have a ST, If I couldnt'' afford it I didn''t go, it''s not difficult to understand.

The club have to make some money, it''s a business sadly and not a hobby as years past.

[quote user="Canariesworld"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The success in

[/quote] But we have an extra 550 season ticket holders this season who are only paying around £17 a game which is much lower than a grade B game. OTBC[/quote]

So buy a ST and save like the rest of us do, or even share a ST

[quote user="Canariesworld"]WAY49 I think you are actually the one missing the bigger picture. I partly agree with your comments about higher prices being relevant to the quality of the playing squad. Personally I''m not complaining too much about the prices because they seem to be fairly similar to other championship clubs. However, so far this season we have only sold an average of 3000 general sale tickets (including away tickets) per match. At the moment as pointed out earlier in this post, season ticket holders are getting an amazing deal. This WILL NOT continue next season, that''s a fact because there is no way the club can sell season tickets so cheap in comparison to casual tickets. At the moment the people complaining are those who buy casual tickets and those with season tickets don''t see the issue. Next season the season ticket holders will also be unhappy about the huge hike up in prices. This could (it may not) mean a massive reduction in both season tickets and thus overall attendance next season.[/quote]

I think you will find we are selling a lot more casuals than this. It is not the case that season ticket holders are counted even if they dont show. It was 6000 ish Watford and 5000 ish Swansea. Season tickets will go up but I dont think a massive rise as it is more important that we sell 22500 season tickets than reduce casual prices.

[quote user="paul moy"]

A simple calculation with many wild assumptions LOL :

A 22,000 gate gives us 1,500 seats sold at 30 quid = 45,000 pounds from casual fans

A 26,000 gate gives us 5,500 seats sold at 25 quid =  137,500 pounds from casual fans

Thus, if lowering the price to 25 quid garners those extra fans, surely that makes sense........ 92,500 pounds potential extra revenue plus all of that extra support and noise.

[/quote]

Sorry but your figures are miles out. As I pointed ot in an earlier post we are always ( because of hospitality away support and the number of season tickets ) going to have enough  paying casuals to acheive min gates of 23500. Based on the prices being quoted £32 per adult £20 per concession the first thing you have forgotten to do is reduce Saturdays income by £50000. At prices of adults £20 concessions Â£10 we would have needed to sell an extra 3300 tickets to acheive Saturdays income. Over 27000 against Swansea ? I think not. Had we reduced them to £25 and £10 we would have needed to sell another 2900. Except when we are top or playing teams with large away followings we just wont get those gates. In your example you are expecting those that went on Saturday to still buy their tickets at £31 and £20. The risk of reducing prices and the fans still not coming is administration as the club would have given our creditors revenue garuntees not numbers in the crowd.

It is not that I dont have sympathy with people that cant afford casual prices, but if the club drives the likes of me away and other season ticket holders that is it Portsmouth here we come. They give exceptionally cheap football to 85% of their fans I dont see what else they can do as reducing the prices will not obtain sustainable income.

WAY49 I live in Sheffield so there is no point in me having an ST I only get to a handful of home games each year but manage to get to a fair few away games instead. As I have already said i''m not talking about my own experience because I don''t have a problem with the ticket prices in relation to other clubs in this division.

I am simply saying you will get a shock when season ticket prices increase next season and it will put a lot of fans off. No I am nothing to do with the club and have no inside knowledge it is just common sense.

Oh and the reason you never complained about the prices of casual tickets before you were a season ticket holder is because they were dirt cheap. I never complained about the cost of my season ticket that I paid for about 15 consecutive years.

Lets all hope for an equaliser in the game tonight.

OTBC

Lambert is king, 6000 casual tickets sold against watford? Are you suggesting around 3000 people returned their ST''s for that game?

How much do you get for doing that these days?

OTBC

I don''t think its so much about pricing. Will a few quid here and there make the difference to a casual ticket buyer? maybe, maybe not but when I go (I live in London and can''t get to many home games these days) I go because I am passionate about the team of my birth and ubringning, its not a price decision.

It''s still early days. The treadmill of football has come around again very quickly, many people are away on holiday, the first match was a Friday which is tougher for many, the world cup was crap for England supporters and I am sure resulted in some general disillusionment. Fianlly lets not forget that this is still the Championship, promotion last year was great but I grew up in the 70s/80s when we were a solid first/second tier team. We are now only just back in the league we should never have left and having to rebuild all over again to compete with the likes of Leicester and Cardiff and Watford, teams who should be our peers not our superiors. So a home match against Swansea is still not quite the stuff to get drooling about.

It''d be interesting to see how other teams'' attendances are compared with this time last season- is there a general trend which woud support it being a generic thing rather than about our pricing? What about Leeds- they were in he wilderness for longer so in theory should be showing a good hike in the early games.

A lot of it comes down to short term gain or long term future.

The "teen" fans that are driven away now may never return as other things will fill their Saturdays.

There must be a balance between debt reduction and sustainability of the fan base.

Many on here decry the wrinkly fans but they are a very big percentage of the money coming in, both from individuals and corporates.

That by virtue of nature is a decreasing number, if that is not replaced by the younger fans then, in time, the gates and income will decline.

It is very difficult to find the correct balance, but taking a chance on the future attendence is a very dangerous road to take.

It''s worth pointing out that, when making calculations about increased revenue by dropping prices, you cannot assume a full house if  you sell tickets at some arbitrary lower price. £25 tickets (often quoted) will not guarantee a capacity crowd.It''s a very difficult calculation to make; the only way you could get anywhere near consistency would be by trial & error over a season - & even then circumstances could change for the following year.I think the management have got it about right so far, judging by attendances, although it might be a good idea to make prices more affordable for youngsters.

Those are good points, and while many decried Chase and his desperate leap onto the all-seater bandwagon, it must be remembered that driving out the thugs, creating a genuinely safe environment and family area, understanding the concept that fans are also customers, and beneficial ticketing policies for younger fans were all fundamental to building today''s fanbase and healthy crowds. The football itself, with the exception of a couple of years under NW and last year under PL, has been unremittingly average.

[quote user="The Butler"]

The "teen" fans that are driven away now may never return as other things will fill their Saturdays.

There must be a balance between debt reduction and sustainability of the fan base.

Many on here decry the wrinkly fans but they are a very big percentage of the money coming in, both from individuals and corporates.

That by virtue of nature is a decreasing number, if that is not replaced by the younger fans then, in time, the gates and income will decline.

It is very difficult to find the correct balance, but taking a chance on the future attendence is a very dangerous road to take.

[/quote]

Absolutely. The kids are for the future as well as for the present of our great club. By pricing them out of regular attendance now, they will probably join the armchair army who "follow" the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. You can expect to see more kids in Norfolk wearing the replica shirts of the big clubs. How nauseating!

[quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Absolutely. The kids are for the future as well as for the present of our great club. By pricing them out of regular attendance now, they will probably join the armchair army who "follow" the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. You can expect to see more kids in Norfolk wearing the replica shirts of the big clubs. How nauseating!

[/quote]But they are not being priced out at all. Season tickets for kids are ridiculously good value, and I believe seats in the family area are too.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But they are not being priced out at all. Season tickets for kids are ridiculously good value, and I believe seats in the family area are too.
[/quote]

We have been too cheap for too long on a lot of things.  As Ive said before if they put my ST price up by a fair amount then sobeit, I will still buy it as long as we have the money to do so.  If there comes a time when we can''t afford them any longer then tough.

Actually paying monthly for a ST makes it work out cheaper than buying a casual ticket every game over the season.

We also know people who share a ST 2 or sometimes 3 ways, it''s cheaper and you get to see your team without having to fork out weekly as a casual supporter.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But they are not being priced out at all. Season tickets for kids are ridiculously good value, and I believe seats in the family area are too.[/quote]

We have been too cheap for too long on a lot of things.  As Ive said before if they put my ST price up by a fair amount then sobeit, I will still buy it as long as we have the money to do so.  If there comes a time when we can''t afford them any longer then tough.

Actually paying monthly for a ST makes it work out cheaper than buying a casual ticket every game over the season.

We also know people who share a ST 2 or sometimes 3 ways, it''s cheaper and you get to see your team without having to fork out weekly as a casual supporter.

[/quote]I agree.And I tire of this whole discussion when it can be summed up thus :-"If you can''t afford something, you can''t have it"[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But they are not being priced out at all. Season tickets for kids are ridiculously good value, and I believe seats in the family area are too.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

And I tire of this whole discussion when it can be summed up thus :-

"If you can''t afford something, you can''t have it"

[:)]
[/quote]

As harsh as it sounds I agree

[quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But they are not being priced out at all. Season tickets for kids are ridiculously good value, and I believe seats in the family area are too.[/quote]

[/quote]I agree.And I tire of this whole discussion when it can be summed up thus :-"If you can''t afford something, you can''t have it"[:)][/quote]

It is more about the club maximising revenue in accordance with supply

and demand. Simply increasing prices is not always the best way to do

things else Poundland would now be called 25PoundLand.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I agree.And I tire of this whole discussion when it can be summed up thus :-"If you can''t afford something, you can''t have it"[:)][/quote]

It is more about the club maximising revenue in accordance with supply

and demand. Simply increasing prices is not always the best way to do

things else Poundland would now be called 25PoundLand.[/quote]Yes I agree, and we have pretty much done it to death now I think lol.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.[/quote]Personally I go because I enjoy it. If it transpires that I can''t afford to go, then I won''t.But I really couldn''t give a flying frig about football in general, and don''t think staying away from something you enjoy is the answer.Lets face it, if we were in the Prem, would we really be bothered about football meltdown? No, we''d just happily take the money.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.[/quote]Personally I go because I enjoy it. If it transpires that I can''t afford to go, then I won''t.But I really couldn''t give a flying frig about football in general, and don''t think staying away from something you enjoy is the answer.Lets face it, if we were in the Prem, would we really be bothered about football meltdown? No, we''d just happily take the money.[/quote]

But I''m not enjoying the footy as much as I use to and I''m nearly as pi*ssed off as family members and friends are of my moaning about it - besides my principles on the monetary front, the lacklustre atmosphere caused by too many blue rinses and middle-class families and the witnessing of our famous anthem being sung halfheartedly over and over again by folk with little imagination is more than I can bear any longer - as for the intro and goal music...[:$]Do you sincerely enjoy attending the football as much as you use to, morty, or is it more a case of it taking your mind off your ex for a few hours every week?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.[/quote]Personally I go because I enjoy it. If it transpires that I can''t afford to go, then I won''t.But I really couldn''t give a flying frig about football in general, and don''t think staying away from something you enjoy is the answer.Lets face it, if we were in the Prem, would we really be bothered about football meltdown? No, we''d just happily take the money.[/quote]

But I''m not enjoying the footy as much as I use to and I''m nearly as pi*ssed off as family members and friends are of my moaning about it - besides my principles on the monetary front, the lacklustre atmosphere caused by too many blue rinses and middle-class families and the witnessing of our famous anthem being sung halfheartedly over and over again by folk with little imagination is more than I can bear any longer - as for the intro and goal music...[:$]Do you sincerely enjoy attending the football as much as you use to, morty, or is it more a case of it taking your mind off your ex for a few hours every week?[/quote]Yes, I enjoy it, as do my kids. Its a dad and sons thing, and I am getting them hooked so that one day they can afford their own season tickets.My ex? Trust me, I have something on the go right now that is more than doing a good job of that lol.[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.

I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.
[/quote]

Personally I go because I enjoy it. If it transpires that I can''t afford to go, then I won''t.

But I really couldn''t give a flying frig about football in general, and don''t think staying away from something you enjoy is the answer.

Lets face it, if we were in the Prem, would we really be bothered about football meltdown? No, we''d just happily take the money.
[/quote]

But I''m not enjoying the footy as much as I use to and I''m nearly as pi*ssed off as family members and friends are of my moaning about it - besides my principles on the monetary front, the lacklustre atmosphere caused by too many blue rinses and middle-class families and the witnessing of our famous anthem being sung halfheartedly over and over again by folk with little imagination is more than I can bear any longer - as for the intro and goal music...[:$]

Do you sincerely enjoy attending the football as much as you use to, morty, or is it more a case of it taking your mind off your ex for a few hours every week?
[/quote]

Yes, I enjoy it, as do my kids. Its a dad and sons thing, and I am getting them hooked so that one day they can afford their own season tickets.

My ex? Trust me, I have something on the go right now that is more than doing a good job of that lol.

[;)]

[/quote]Interesting you mention your kids as i was thinking today of the first game i ever attended as a lad. I was standing on a milk crate at the bottom of the barclay watching a proper football match, I doubt the crowd was anywhere near what we get now but the atmosphere was amazing. Those are days i will never forget and i feel lucky to have experienced watching the game on the terraces before it all went downhill. I doubt the kids of today will remember their first football experience with such fondness, It''s not the same saying "we scored then all clapped along to some music." Shyster is right it''s just not as enjoyable anymore and i''m not some old codger wishing the good old days were back (although i do) i''m in my early 30s.

Now what about those empty seats?

If it does not, the club should have a policy of filling some of them by arranging for interested groups from children in care or old boys from sheltered accommodation - or any organised, challenged group - to attend in an structured fashion.

They would enjoy the outing immensely and the club would be doing a true community service.

Well worth the club''s while in these cynical times, I reckon.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="JF"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But I''m not enjoying the footy as much as I use to and I''m nearly as pi*ssed off as family members and friends are of my moaning about it - besides my principles on the monetary front, the lacklustre atmosphere caused by too many blue rinses and middle-class families and the witnessing of our famous anthem being sung halfheartedly over and over again by folk with little imagination is more than I can bear any longer - as for the intro and goal music...[:$]Do you sincerely enjoy attending the football as much as you use to, morty, or is it more a case of it taking your mind off your ex for a few hours every week?[/quote]Yes, I enjoy it, as do my kids. Its a dad and sons thing, and I am getting them hooked so that one day they can afford their own season tickets.My ex? Trust me, I have something on the go right now that is more than doing a good job of that lol.[;)]

[/quote]Interesting you mention your kids as i was thinking today of the first game i ever attended as a lad. I was standing on a milk crate at the bottom of the barclay watching a proper football match, I doubt the crowd was anywhere near what we get now but the atmosphere was amazing. Those are days i will never forget and i feel lucky to have experienced watching the game on the terraces before it all went downhill. I doubt the kids of today will remember their first football experience with such fondness, It''s not the same saying "we scored then all clapped along to some music." Shyster is right it''s just not as enjoyable anymore and i''m not some old codger wishing the good old days were back (although i do) i''m in my early 30s.[/quote]Well, until someone invent a time machine we''re stuck with what we have.I either take my kids to Carrow road to watch their local team playing live, or I let them stay at home, with replica shirts on of Man Utd / Chelski / Man City (delete as applicable) watching Sky sports.I know which I''d rather do.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="JF"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Dan Druff"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you''re going to continue causing the demise of football by attending matches.

I''ve been going to games on a casual basis for years and I can still afford it, but after yesterday evening I''ve decided to cease being a hypocrite by not attending - something''s finally clicked.
[/quote]

Personally I go because I enjoy it. If it transpires that I can''t afford to go, then I won''t.

But I really couldn''t give a flying frig about football in general, and don''t think staying away from something you enjoy is the answer.

Lets face it, if we were in the Prem, would we really be bothered about football meltdown? No, we''d just happily take the money.
[/quote]

But I''m not enjoying the footy as much as I use to and I''m nearly as pi*ssed off as family members and friends are of my moaning about it - besides my principles on the monetary front, the lacklustre atmosphere caused by too many blue rinses and middle-class families and the witnessing of our famous anthem being sung halfheartedly over and over again by folk with little imagination is more than I can bear any longer - as for the intro and goal music...[:$]

Do you sincerely enjoy attending the football as much as you use to, morty, or is it more a case of it taking your mind off your ex for a few hours every week?
[/quote]

Yes, I enjoy it, as do my kids. Its a dad and sons thing, and I am getting them hooked so that one day they can afford their own season tickets.

My ex? Trust me, I have something on the go right now that is more than doing a good job of that lol.

[;)]

[/quote]Interesting you mention your kids as i was thinking today of the first game i ever attended as a lad. I was standing on a milk crate at the bottom of the barclay watching a proper football match, I doubt the crowd was anywhere near what we get now but the atmosphere was amazing. Those are days i will never forget and i feel lucky to have experienced watching the game on the terraces before it all went downhill. I doubt the kids of today will remember their first football experience with such fondness, It''s not the same saying "we scored then all clapped along to some music." Shyster is right it''s just not as enjoyable anymore and i''m not some old codger wishing the good old days were back (although i do) i''m in my early 30s.[/quote]

Well, until someone invent a time machine we''re stuck with what we have.

I either take my kids to Carrow road to watch their local team playing live, or I let them stay at home, with replica shirts on of Man Utd / Chelski / Man City (delete as applicable) watching Sky sports.

I know which I''d rather do.

[/quote]I''m working on it i just need a flux capacitor and a delorean. Am hopeful it will run on unleaded although plutonium would be cheaper!c

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]I think the club should take a second look at 16-21 concessions, but offer them either only on matchday, or the day before based on the remaining available tickets. Fill the ground by all means necessary, but fill it first with people paying full-price.